Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2013, 11:35 AM

778 posts, read 1,026,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
I've never lived in Independence and have no affiliation. Just moved from Smithville MO to Raleigh NC, and even I am glued to this thread!

Just a thought: we're all very much enjoying the old pictures posted on this site. since digital pictures are so cheap, maybe some of you Independence locals ought to go out and get lots of pictures of Independence as it is today? In 30 years or so, people will think the "old days" were amazing!

Don't know why. . . . but I love this thread!
Good idea! Then, years from now our Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren will have this same forum to refer to. (1000 pages, 10,000 posts? It's possible!) If I would have had the enthusiasm, and/or forethought (like Mad) to have started the very thing you're suggesting at an earlier age than I did, I'd have a buttload of reference photos! I guess all of us that are still in the this area, need to get busy. On that note, I had some business down in the west bottoms of K.C. I happened to have my camera with me, so I started shooting all the old signage on the old buildings I could. Someday, all this will be gone. One shot I took, I had zoomed in on a portion of a sign and didn't realize 'til I looked at my photos that evening, that under the lettering under that sign, was an even older sign! It had previously been a Studebaker shop, that built wagons and carriages.

]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 12:20 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,900 times
LOVE the photos. And it is NOT too late to start! Think about it!

Old 03-24-2013, 01:32 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
LOVE the photos. And it is NOT too late to start! Think about it!
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm pretty sure most of us post because we love our town. It is nice to know we are affecting others.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:00 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Good idea! Then, years from now our Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren will have this same forum to refer to. (1000 pages, 10,000 posts? It's possible!) If I would have had the enthusiasm, and/or forethought (like Mad) to have started the very thing you're suggesting at an earlier age than I did, I'd have a buttload of reference photos! I guess all of us that are still in the this area, need to get busy. On that note, I had some business down in the west bottoms of K.C. I happened to have my camera with me, so I started shooting all the old signage on the old buildings I could. Someday, all this will be gone. One shot I took, I had zoomed in on a portion of a sign and didn't realize 'til I looked at my photos that evening, that under the lettering under that sign, was an even older sign! It had previously been a Studebaker shop, that built wagons and carriages.
Nice shots Doc. Do you think they have forgotten about your last mystery photo?

Old 03-24-2013, 04:58 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
[quote=WCHS'59;28811751]As near as I can recall, I was searching for information on the Courthouse Exchange restaurant in May 2012 and accidentally came upon this web site. That particular restaurant, which is now in the basement of the old JC Penny's building claims to have started business in 1899.

I did not recall a Courthouse Exchange restaurant when I was living in Independence so I contacted the owner or manager to find out where this mysterious place was located in the 1950s. She reminded me that it was somewhere on the south side of Maple, east of and near the alley between Liberty and Osage. I then recalled the place and remember walking past it many times smelling hamburgers and beer while on my way to the old Velvet Freeze location on the same side of Maple, now a big parking lot.

But as a youngster I never paid any attention to the name. Since May 2012, I have ate at that establishment at least four times and have thoroughly enjoyed the historical theme of the entire dining experience. Even the menu is historically oriented.

I don't recall seeing anything like that either and I've been up and down and over and under W. Maple 1960. The closest on the same side to Velvet Freeze is a Clem's Buffet. Clem is Clem Ogden and is listed at 221WM. VF is at 217, there is no 219 listed. No other restaurants on south up and down WM.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Nice shots Doc. Do you think they have forgotten about your last mystery photo?

Thanks, Mad. I have more of the old west bottoms signage, but figured since this was a forum about Independence.... I put the previous photos in to prove a point, but will post more if someone would like to see them. As far as the others forgetting my mystery photo??

Old 03-24-2013, 05:08 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Thanks, Mad. I have more of the old west bottoms signage, but figured since this was a forum about Independence.... I put the previous photos in to prove a point, but will post more if someone would like to see them. As far as the others forgetting my mystery photo??

I didn't forget Doc. But if WCHS doesn't get it, you'll have to give the answer as I'm disqualified (out of territory)

Old 03-24-2013, 06:00 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times
[quote=MRG Dallas;28817643]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
As near as I can recall, I was searching for information on the Courthouse Exchange restaurant in May 2012 and accidentally came upon this web site. That particular restaurant, which is now in the basement of the old JC Penny's building claims to have started business in 1899.

I did not recall a Courthouse Exchange restaurant when I was living in Independence so I contacted the owner or manager to find out where this mysterious place was located in the 1950s. She reminded me that it was somewhere on the south side of Maple, east of and near the alley between Liberty and Osage. I then recalled the place and remember walking past it many times smelling hamburgers and beer while on my way to the old Velvet Freeze location on the same side of Maple, now a big parking lot.

But as a youngster I never paid any attention to the name. Since May 2012, I have ate at that establishment at least four times and have thoroughly enjoyed the historical theme of the entire dining experience. Even the menu is historically oriented.

I don't recall seeing anything like that either and I've been up and down and over and under W. Maple 1960. The closest on the same side to Velvet Freeze is a Clem's Buffet. Clem is Clem Ogden and is listed at 221WM. VF is at 217, there is no 219 listed. No other restaurants on south up and down WM.
I remember it as a beer joint that had food. The beer odor was heavier than the food aroma. it would have been next to the Maple Street entrance to Elko.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
As near as I can recall, I was searching for information on the Courthouse Exchange restaurant in May 2012 and accidentally came upon this web site. That particular restaurant, which is now in the basement of the old JC Penny's building claims to have started business in 1899.

"Long Ago on Independence Square" is the top viewed thread on the KC website. As of today, it has 62,251 views. Out of around 2,450 threads on the KC website that is number one.

"Bad Neighborhoods in Saint Joseph" comes in at a weak number two with 39,569 views.

Number three "Sales Tax on Car Purchase" comes in at 35,199.

"Opinions on Independence, MO" comes in 14th with 20,455 views.
[quote=WCHS'59;28818483]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post

I remember it as a beer joint that had food. The beer odor was heavier than the food aroma. it would have been next to the Maple Street entrance to Elko.
Would this be what your looking for? On the far left end, was where Elko Camera (Now "UpDog") had been, and the alley to the right runs south to Lexington.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:59 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,900 times
It's just these kinds of photographs that in 10+ years will be great to have! On another board, someone provided links to Chicago in the 20's. Everyone marveled at them, as did I. But not too long ago, someone had to use film and print the photos. We don't have to make that expense anymore. Sure, we've got sites full of old Chicago, Detroit, NY, etc., but we--everybody--needs to get out, document, and post everyday photos of their "world" and put descriptions with them so that they can be found by generations to come.

Again, I love this thread. Just wish I had something to contribute other than encouragement. My father was from Maryville MO, but has since passed. Our family has some connection to the James boys somehow. I became familiar with the park on the east side of Independence where Frank James was buried. Went to lunch one day and found the grave. I'm rambling, but keep the photos coming and be sure to put a description--even brief--with it so people can find it for some time. A simple search seems to bring people to this message board and will for a long, time. Respectfully, thanks to you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City