Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 06:06 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
OK I've been west . . .nothing

NW . . nothing

I've been everywhere, man.

Across the deserts bare, man I've breathed the mountain air, man Of travel I've had my share, man I've been everywhere[LEFT]
Read more: HANK SNOW - I'VE BEEN EVERYWHERE LYRICS
[/LEFT]
To narrow it some more, it is within the Van Horn HS attendance area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 01:03 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
To narrow it some more, it is within the Van Horn HS attendance area.

Hmmmm well if it's familiar to me and in that neck of the woods . . . it's either Sugar Creek area or Rockwood Country Club . . .

Am I getting warm with either, and more specifically, say Kentucky near the old pool/ballyard?

Old 03-20-2013, 03:36 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times
“No other school district in America has ever achieved an annexation of the scale and scope accomplished in Independence….”

Western Independence went into the Kansas City school district in 1955, by early 2000 there were seven Kansas City schools in this area.

In 1974, Independence tried to annex the schools in western Independence but were defeated by the Kansas City voters.

In 1974, there were 521 Van Horn graduates.

In 1998, there were 83 Van Horn seniors.

45% of the $110m Independence school district budget comes from local taxes; 45% comes from the state of Missouri; Ten percent comes from the federal government.

Number of students coming into the Independence district from Kansas City was 2,600.

The issue of annexing western Independence from a reluctant and belligerent Kansas City school district became a Declaration of War in 2006.

Between 1978 and 2008, the Kansas City School District went through 22 superintendents.

The Kansas City School District was discredited by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education in 1999. (and has apparently never recovered)

There are 522 public school districts in the state of Missouri.

84% of Independence voters favored annexing western Independence.

65% of Kansas City voters favored Independence to annex.

The Kansas City School District refused to recognize the outcome of the vote.

An increase of $300,000 in the annual school revenue from annexing western Independence came from school taxation on the railroad rights of way in that area.

Kansas City wanted $157m compensation for the schools in western Independence.

Independence offered $37m. Kansas City fought the issue and in arbitration was granted $13.7m.

Kansas City subsequently refused to recognize the arbitration and blocked Independence school officials from entering the schools.

Kansas City security guards refused entry to Independence officials at Nowlin Middle School. Twenty Independence police officers responded. A standoff ensued.

The courts ordered Kansas City School District to comply, which they finally did.

Independence schooling in the western part of the city began in August 2008.

From: Inspiring Greatness, A Community’s Commitment to a brighter Future by Dr. Jim Hinson.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:52 PM

What an absolute disgrace.

And unfortunately, the problem isn't limited to KC. Not nearly enough politicians, bureaucrats or voters care enough to make the changes necessary to clean up urban public education.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Hmmmm well if it's familiar to me and in that neck of the woods . . . it's either Sugar Creek area or Rockwood Country Club . . .

Am I getting warm with either, and more specifically, say Kentucky near the old pool/ballyard?
It is within walking distance of the old Sweet Water pool.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
This one is guaranteed to be tough. Your only clue is that Dallas should have the best chance.(Unless I'm confusing his history with someone else!)
The placement of the windows on this side sure seems strange. Almost like there is a full size window on a mid stair landing going to the second and third floors, perhaps.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
The placement of the windows on this side sure seems strange. Almost like there is a full size window on a mid stair landing going to the second and third floors, perhaps.
You are correct Sir!

Old 03-20-2013, 06:54 PM

One more clue- It is possible Mr. Dunder visited here.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
“No other school district in America has ever achieved an annexation of the scale and scope accomplished in Independence….”

Western Independence went into the Kansas City school district in 1955, by early 2000 there were seven Kansas City schools in this area.

In 1974, Independence tried to annex the schools in western Independence but were defeated by the Kansas City voters.

In 1974, there were 521 Van Horn graduates.

In 1998, there were 83 Van Horn seniors.

45% of the $110m Independence school district budget comes from local taxes; 45% comes from the state of Missouri; Ten percent comes from the federal government.

Number of students coming into the Independence district from Kansas City was 2,600.

The issue of annexing western Independence from a reluctant and belligerent Kansas City school district became a Declaration of War in 2006.

Between 1978 and 2008, the Kansas City School District went through 22 superintendents.

The Kansas City School District was discredited by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education in 1999. (and has apparently never recovered)

There are 522 public school districts in the state of Missouri.

84% of Independence voters favored annexing western Independence.

65% of Kansas City voters favored Independence to annex.

The Kansas City School District refused to recognize the outcome of the vote.

An increase of $300,000 in the annual school revenue from annexing western Independence came from school taxation on the railroad rights of way in that area.

Kansas City wanted $157m compensation for the schools in western Independence.

Independence offered $37m. Kansas City fought the issue and in arbitration was granted $13.7m.

Kansas City subsequently refused to recognize the arbitration and blocked Independence school officials from entering the schools.

Kansas City security guards refused entry to Independence officials at Nowlin Middle School. Twenty Independence police officers responded. A standoff ensued.

The courts ordered Kansas City School District to comply, which they finally did.

Independence schooling in the western part of the city began in August 2008.

From: Inspiring Greatness, A Community’s Commitment to a brighter Future by Dr. Jim Hinson.

KMBC-TV, Channel 9, Kansas City

Editorial, which ran several times on July 19, 20, 21, 2008.

IT IS AN EMBARRASSMENT AND A WASTE OF TAX DOLLARS. THE KANSAS CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT CONTINUES TO SPEND ENTIRELY TOO MUCH OF ITS ENERGY AND MONEY RESISTING THE TRANSFER OF SEVEN SCHOOL BUILDINGS TO THE INDEPENDENCE SCHOOL DISTRICT.

VOTERS OVERWHELMINGLY APPROVED DISTRICT BOUNDARY CHANGES LAST NOVEMBER. LAST MONTH, ARBITRATORS SET A PRICE FOR THE BUILDINGS. THE DECISION IS NOW IN THE HANDS OF A JACKSON COUNTY JUDGE.

LIKE SO MANY OF OUR VIEWERS, WE QUESTION WHY THE KANSAS CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT CONTINUES THIS FIGHT. IS IT ABOUT THE CHILDREN? NOT HARDLY. IT’S ABOUT MONEY. MONEY THAT COULD HAVE AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN SPENT, NOT ON LAWYERS, BUT ON THE EDUCATION OF THE DISTRICT’S CHILDREN.

IF THE KANSAS CITY SCHOOL BOARD FOCUSED THIS KIND OF ATTENTION ON STUDENT ACHIEVEMENT TEST SCORES MIGHT BE HIGHER AND GRADUATION RATES INCREASED. FULL ACCREDITATION COULD BE MORE THAN JUST A DISTANT HOPE.

None of the Kansas City School District teachers and principals at the seven schools stayed. Independence hired all new teaching personnel.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
One more clue- It is possible Mr. Dunder visited here.

You got me again, Anthonie Can't say I've ever heard of Sweet Water pool or a Mr Dunder ,
. . . Google tells me there might be one associated with TV show :The Office"

Another Elephino Moment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City