Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2023, 07:47 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
We have driven through Little Blue many times. It was a stop on the Missouri Pacific RR, and some of the village is still there. Little Blue Road runs east of Noland just south of Rickey Rd. Little Blue Baptist Church is at the corner. About a quarter-mile east of Noland you'll find the village and RR crossing. Continue E and SE on LB Road and you'll find the former Jackson County Hospital, which became Truman Medical Center East, then Truman Lakewood, now University Health Lakewood.

Apparently someone sold you a defective paper clip. Please reattach the link to the photos.
I don't think I've been on that eastern portion of LB Rd. Don't remember the church, though I have driven by it numerous times.

The western portion, many times, depending on who lived where and in what grade, the school bus route would make pick ups along Little Blue, all the way to Woodson. There were some nice country-style homes tucked away, mostly on the south side.

Then there was the creepy, dare say haunted, Rickey Road. I recall one wintry morning when the bus got stuck in the snow All of that to pick up one kid

Thank God it was daylight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2023, 11:37 AM

I have a subscription to Newspapers.com which covers the Star and Times but noticed The Examiner is on newspaperarchives.com

Has anyone subscribed to the latter and what was your experience? Is there any place else olde The Examiner can be accessed?

TIA

Old 01-04-2023, 01:00 PM

409 posts, read 293,563 times
I've used both. Newspaperarchive.com is perhaps a bit clumsier. Haven't used either enough lately to be able to give an informed reply on the search result quality.

You may know this already, but the Mid-Continent Public Library offers a research card for those outside the area. It costs $35 for six months, which is cheaper than the individual newspaperarchive.com price, but the catch is that you have to apply for this card in person and you can't renew it remotely. But you can access newspaperarchive.com from their site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I have a subscription to Newspapers.com which covers the Star and Times but noticed The Examiner is on newspaperarchives.com

Has anyone subscribed to the latter and what was your experience? Is there any place else olde The Examiner can be accessed?

TIA

Old 01-04-2023, 01:29 PM

The raceway is now Little Blue Valley Park, where my husband and I frequently walk and bicycle. The removal of the raceway in favor of a park was controversial, but I won't get into that. I'm just happy to have the park.

Farrand Farms is still in business though the Farrand family sold it a few years ago, as I recall. I've been there a few times but since I do native plant gardening, I shop for plants at a native plant nursery that's just down the road from Farrand Farms. Years ago, the Farrands used to operate the farmstand at the intersection of Noland & 350 Hwy.

What's now the hospital originated as a home for the indigent:

"The Jackson County Home started as the Jackson County Poor Farm in March, 1852. In July 1908, it became the Jackson County Home for the indigent sick. Then in 1937 an addition was added and it became a rural emergency hospital. New additions have been added and the complex is now the Truman Medical Center Lakewood. It is located on the southwest corner of Little Blue and Lee's Summit Road with the address being 7900 Lee's Summit Road, Kansas City, Missouri. The original building that was the Jackson County Home is still present and being used as a long term care facility. What is not present is the cemetery that was used for the home. An overgrown, weed infested area is all that is left. Up until 1924, most of the burials were at this cemetery. After that most bodies were donated to medical science with a very few going to private cemeteries." There apparently is still a cemetery there but I haven't seen it.
Source: Find A Grave

In the mid-'70s, my boyfriend and I stumbled on the hospital while taking a country drive. It didn't yet have the additions and it felt like the middle of nowhere. It looked spooky.

The section of Little Blue Rd. east of Noland Rd. was flooded in the infamous August 1982 Little Blue River flood. Little Blue Rd. was on my way to work and the morning after the flood, the low-lying fields on the south side of the road were a huge lake. Sadly, dead horses were floating in it. The farm and horses remain at that site, however.

Quote:
Has anyone heard of this place? When I was running late and took the fast route to Ray South, I'd drive from 51st and Noland to Highway 50 (aka Knobtown).

This would be part of the area for KCIRaceway, which I believe opened around 1966.

On the west side of Noland is long time Farrand Farms, nursery, produce in season, et al. I surprisingly never set foot on its grounds (although I would today) Any one shopped there?

Was there a specialty hospital out that way? Seemed to be, like a mental hospital, maybe back in the hills. Anyone? Much obliged in advance
[i]

"

Old 01-04-2023, 03:41 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
I've used both. Newspaperarchive.com is perhaps a bit clumsier. Haven't used either enough lately to be able to give an informed reply on the search result quality.

You may know this already, but the Mid-Continent Public Library offers a research card for those outside the area. It costs $35 for six months, which is cheaper than the individual newspaperarchive.com price, but the catch is that you have to apply for this card in person and you can't renew it remotely. But you can access newspaperarchive.com from their site.

I use both of those available through MCPL. The biggest drawback to this is that the Library Editions of those sites are limited in coverage. The direct subscription versions have more years of coverage than the library.

MCPL also has the KC Star (1880-2013) & KC Times (1884-1990).

Old 01-04-2023, 04:56 PM

Yes, true. And Kansas City Public Library has even more complete KC Star/Times coverage--I often find Indep. news in there, as I imagine you know. But they don't issue out-of-area cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I use both of those available through MCPL. The biggest drawback to this is that the Library Editions of those sites are limited in coverage. The direct subscription versions have more years of coverage than the library.

MCPL also has the KC Star (1880-2013) & KC Times (1884-1990).

Old 01-05-2023, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
Yes, true. And Kansas City Public Library has even more complete KC Star/Times coverage--I often find Indep. news in there, as I imagine you know. But they don't issue out-of-area cards.
I am surprised that libraries don't allow for nonresident cards. With so much of it now electronic, it seems the incremental cost, especially at an increased fee, would provide more funds for libraries, which often complain of underfunding. I'd love to have some out of state cards.

I did take out a sub to newspapers.com and have had a lot of fun looking back, esp the 60s, and esp sports. Little League, HS CH, I even found the RHS Class of 75 graduation list while looking for an ex work colleague in Dallas. Saw neighbors and surnames I recognized

I have gotten more than my money's worth out of the subscription, but wish it included The Examiner

Old 01-07-2023, 10:20 PM

908 posts, read 726,724 times
Quote:

TIA
I currently have a subscription to Newspaperarchives.com. It start around July of 1966 and goes forward. I wish it had the 1950s, but I can go to the library to get those.

While I was just there, I pulled off this page from the Examiner of August 16, 1968.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-08-2023, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
I currently have a subscription to Newspaperarchives.com. It start around July of 1966 and goes forward. I wish it had the 1950s, but I can go to the library to get those.

While I was just there, I pulled off this page from the Examiner of August 16, 1968.

[IMG][/IMG]
Well, that does it then. No Archives for me if Examiner only goes back that far. I would need the ten years before that to matter.

I remember that time in 1968 So with a big hitter closing that puts a huge dent in The Square. Can anyone pinpoint the decline and fall? We know The Mall opened around 1957 (or was it 1959) and I-70 was being built in 1963. When was the first sign(s) of decline? What were the major events on The Square that signified the decline? When did the disastrous "urban renewal" begin?

I had a couple of years when I did not even venture to The Square, 1970-1971. I recall around May or so of 1972 I drove around, really disappointed at what it had become, and not sure how long before I ventured back. Maybe moreso than I think since my GF lived on W. Maple into 1978. Hazy memory.

Old 01-16-2023, 12:34 PM

908 posts, read 726,724 times
Quote:
Well, that does it then. No Archives for me if Examiner only goes back that far. I would need the ten years before that to matter.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I have to go to the library and look at microfilm if I want to see anything prior to that time. That reminds me that I need to take a few thumb drives and go the the library and copy some articles.

I remember that time in 1968 So with a big hitter closing that puts a huge dent in The Square. Can anyone pinpoint the decline and fall? We know The Mall opened around 1957 (or was it 1959) and I-70 was being built in 1963. When was the first sign(s) of decline? What were the major events on The Square that signified the decline? When did the disastrous "urban renewal" begin?

I am not sure when the first sign was, but my recollection was that the opening of the Blue Ridge Mall was the beginning of the end. Then came box stores and the Independence Center. I am of the belief that we are the reason for the decline in the Square and immediate area. We wanted more variety and choices in what we wanted to purchase, more stores to choose from, and lower prices. Now malls are failing as people are purchasing more and more goods online. On an Independence Facebook group, there has been a lot of moaning about the Square. I understand what the loss means; however, I wonder how many would return to Bundschu's, Penney's, or Jones store.

I had a couple of years when I did not even venture to The Square, 1970-1971. I recall around May or so of 1972 I drove around, really disappointed at what it had become, and not sure how long before I ventured back. Maybe more so than I think since my GF lived on W. Maple into 1978. Hazy memory.
Huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City