Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2023, 12:14 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddymouse View Post
DADDYMOUSE here, formerly DMOUSE. Still can't get any response from the administrators, so all my stats seem to have been reset back to an older level.

Now, I don't seem to be as proficient at coming up with new subjects and some of you folks, but I'll always join in when possible.

Here is an easy one, because I was wondering just now. What businesses stood in the block of Maple just west of the theater? I remember (at different times) the old Independence Hotel, Denton Drugs, Bunting Hardware......up to Woolworths, where the theater now stands. were there any others?

I know this is probably too easy, but I'm trying, so HUMOR ME!
He's alive, alive, alive, Hallelujah !

Well, if we go back exactly SIXTY years ago today, when you and I were likely crossing paths and creating mischief, there was:

Goldman Jewelry
Herman Wienshienk clothing
Knoepker's
Jane Lee Stores, Inc
Woolworth's
Isis Shoe
Dixie Shops women's clothing
something called the Hollywood Health Studio "physical culture" Was this a gym?
Denton Drugs
and then one of several vacancies, this one on the corner @ Liberty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2023, 12:25 PM

68 posts, read 38,603 times
I have no memory of Jane Lee or Dixie Shops.

Was Hollywood Health Studios a 'second floor' business?

Hmmmm..........

Old 06-08-2023, 12:33 PM

2 years earlier, that block was a little different:

Helzberg's was a few doors down from Goldman's The block wasn't big enough for the both of them.

Lerner's was where Jane Lee took over

Cannon Shoe Store, down from Isis

The Vogue Shop

and on that corner stood B&G Hosiery

Old 06-08-2023, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Hmmmm..........
Actually, it was . . . above Vogue . . .

Was HHS a place you were too young to "patronize"?

Old 06-08-2023, 05:18 PM

68 posts, read 38,603 times
NO COMMENT!

Old 06-09-2023, 07:18 AM

Quote:
NO COMMENT!
Haha Actually a would find such an "establishment" to be unwelcome on The Square

Now west on Truman Rd outside the city limits, errrrrrrrr maybe

Old 06-09-2023, 07:42 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Sorry for the delayed response, RL has me rather busy.

In the early 70s the corner biz was Douglas Optical with alleged competitor King Optical across the street in the old bank building. What many didn't know is that both were optical outfits were part of the same corporation.

The Goodwill Store also occupied one of the storefronts east of the hotel. It was the starting point for a large fire in the mid-70s.

Old 06-10-2023, 08:05 AM

Quote:

Hmmmm..........
All I remember is Knoepker's (my Grandmother worked there) and Woolworth's (the wood floors and giant ceiling fans)

The names are familiar but that's due to pouring over The Square and surroundings using City Directories. Walked past them hundreds of times, of course, but patronizing at 10-14 years old, no.

Not even the Hollywood establishment

Old 06-10-2023, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 186 times
My grandfather, Bill Dickey, owned Midland Hardware; and I have fond memories of the square, especially the Diamond Bowl, Velvet Freeze and Sandwich U. Does anyone remember the name of the sporting goods store that was near the Sandwich U? It's sad, but when I visited the square years ago, everything was gone. Marcjohnson195@gmail.com

Old 06-10-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc W Johnson View Post
My grandfather, Bill Dickey, owned Midland Hardware; and I have fond memories of the square, especially the Diamond Bowl, Velvet Freeze and Sandwich U. Does anyone remember the name of the sporting goods store that was near the Sandwich U? It's sad, but when I visited the square years ago, everything was gone. Marcjohnson195@gmail.com
Lee's Sporting Goods?

Gateway Sporting Goods, which was a few doors down/up from Katz?

Welcome, by the way. Please contribute to this historic thread !

I threw my first bowling ball at the old Diamond. My three game score? A 20, a 24 and a 32. Look at that improvement! I was so young that I had to have a specially drilled ball, so small it left some very interesting spares !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City