Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2021, 06:48 AM

267 posts, read 158,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Tidbits along these locations:

Interesting that in early 61 or late 60 (whenever Polk's gathers its data) there was little commercial (over) development along S Noland after South Side

Houses and gas stations, the latter about 2 per block, starting after Hereford

There was a grocery & liquor market past Gudgell But nothing after that until past the RR Underpass and ending @ Wild Woody's White Tractor Parts & Eq Pashea's Nurseries Independence Sale Barn and long time veterinarian, Dr Schondelmeyer

And get this, back before I-70 came thru, at 3901 the Seventy Hi Drive In Restaurant. Imagine that, the first I-70 business on the block!

The Doutt's lived at the intersection of Aberdeen

By 1963 which we know was a year of freeway construction (per the June 63 aerials) the nurseries were gone, obviously to make way for businesses and something called "South Secondary Skool" emerged Past that was Little John's Drive In Independence Laundry & Cleaning, Siegfried Real Estate (know that name well) Indep Equipment (along with most of the gas stations and businesses et al mentioned above)

So I guess this has partially answered my question about what was there and about what time did S Noland turn from residential to commercial The pass-thru of I-70 was the incentivizer (my word) and the nursery provided land for some of the future (over) development

Perhaps The Mouse can chip in his recollections since that is his neck of the woods

Just a couple of things to add here.....South Secondary was the lack luster name attached to what would become Truman High School. The new building only housed 7th graders for 2 years, then transformed into Truman High. I was one of those 7th graders, then graduated in THS class of '68.

70-HI drive in served a mean cheeseburger! A friend I went to school with and his family were their first customers when they opened.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 08:05 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
1954 There is a Mike Nigro (Lena) and a Mike, Jr listed in connection with . . . Country Side Super Market Residence 1523 US Highway 24

1950 Mike Nigro (Countryside Fruit Mkt) Residence Kansas City

I ventured out and about this morning. The building this market was in is gone.

Old 08-11-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Me also, so we too must have essentially "looked away" since Royal Rec was between Katz 203 and Gateway 213 as late as 1963 There also was Brown's Grill at 205 Robt Sturges Optometrist at 207

Anyone remember Heinz Bavarian Bakery @ 211?

After Gateway, a beauty and barber shop, the Jaco Historical Society/Jail Museum and the Fire Dept completed that side of the block

I remember most of these, as I walked this block every day as part of my paper route Sudora's Salon was my northern most customer, and I hated the smell of that place.

Old 08-14-2021, 12:55 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I remember most of these, as I walked this block every day as part of my paper route Sudora's Salon was my northern most customer, and I hated the smell of that place.
So when is everyone's recollection of the Decline and Fall of The Square?

And what stores, factors, etc did you associate with the decline? We know MAD has told us that "Urban Renewal" was a culprit and we also know I-70, Noland Rd and The Blue Ridge Mall were all major contributors

Mine was probably early 70s when I attempted to drive up Maple and there were these ugly concrete parking structures, I believe to the Courthouse side, that one had to negotiate to travel north. Probably around where Woolworth's used to be

The place was dead already I likely hadn't been thru there in a few years but it sure was different

Depressing

Old 08-14-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
So when is everyone's recollection of the Decline and Fall of The Square?

And what stores, factors, etc did you associate with the decline? We know MAD has told us that "Urban Renewal" was a culprit and we also know I-70, Noland Rd and The Blue Ridge Mall were all major contributors

Mine was probably early 70s when I attempted to drive up Maple and there were these ugly concrete parking structures, I believe to the Courthouse side, that one had to negotiate to travel north. Probably around where Woolworth's used to be

The place was dead already I likely hadn't been thru there in a few years but it sure was different

Depressing

I'd blame urban sprawl and changing attitudes: new centers "good", old uptown "uncool". Also I have to agree with Blue ridge Mall and that crappy urban renewal they saddled us with. Its nice to see it coming back although its awfully slow.

Old 08-14-2021, 02:09 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post
I'd blame urban sprawl and changing attitudes: new centers "good", old uptown "uncool". Also I have to agree with Blue ridge Mall and that crappy urban renewal they saddled us with. Its nice to see it coming back although its awfully slow.
Agree with you, dmouse . . . I would also add the proliferation of large company chains and franchising, esp groceries and restaurants (ie, fast food) Also the "super" concept, K-Mart, Venture and . . . and . . . and

WALMART

Old 08-14-2021, 03:48 PM

The Blue Ridge Mall dug the grave, Urban Renewal provided the casket, Independence Center planted the tombstone!

Old 08-14-2021, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
The Blue Ridge Mall dug the grave, Urban Renewal provided the casket, Independence Center planted the tombstone!

That MAD knows how to get to the point, eh?

Old 08-14-2021, 10:48 PM

908 posts, read 726,724 times
My last message was cutoff as it must have been too long. I tried to delete it and it would not delete and then it was not even available for editing. Ack! Sorry about that.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:58 PM

Waaaaay back when, there was FOREST street, running east off Noland Road toward the Fair Ground. Does anyone happen to know when that street was renamed to FAIR?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City