Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2021, 08:07 AM

14,192 posts, read 9,089,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Your question was almost timely. Today it is announced that The Examiner and other locals are being sold by Gannett to CherryRoad Media.

https://www.examiner.net/story/news/2021/09/23/new-ownership-examiner-stresses-local-news/5838203001/
Judging from the article, it looks to me like the buyer will be a better steward of The Examiner than Gannett (GateHouse), and the paper will be a better fit with the acquiring company and its stated mission.

Even though every journalist in the country rallied around Gannett Co. when Alden Global Capital, a firm truly reviled by American journalists, made a hostile takeover bid for it, the company's rep within the industry is that it homogenized the local papers it owns ("USA Today Network").

Independence isn't Cherry Hill, and The Examiner shouldn't look or read like The Courier-Post. I see this North Jersey-based company is acquiring a passel of small-town and smaller-city publications in the Central Plains states. I hope they restore their local character to them. Independence deserves no less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2021, 09:37 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Judging from the article, it looks to me like the buyer will be a better steward of The Examiner than Gannett (GateHouse), and the paper will be a better fit with the acquiring company and its stated mission.

Even though every journalist in the country rallied around Gannett Co. when Alden Global Capital, a firm truly reviled by American journalists, made a hostile takeover bid for it, the company's rep within the industry is that it homogenized the local papers it owns ("USA Today Network").

Independence isn't Cherry Hill, and The Examiner shouldn't look or read like The Courier-Post. I see this North Jersey-based company is acquiring a passel of small-town and smaller-city publications in the Central Plains states. I hope they restore their local character to them. Independence deserves no less.

There was no mention of the Columbia, MO paper, which is where The Examiner is currently printed. I wonder where they will print it.

We dropped our subscription a couple of years ago due to the scant local coverage. Most of the local news was just short transcriptions from TV news sources. The page count kept decreasing while the price kept increasing. I do hope the new owners turn things around so I can subscribe again.

Old 10-06-2021, 08:59 AM

WAKE UP!

Here is an old photo of an old station in Independence. Your assignment is to tell me where it was.

A few clues to help you:
-At the time this photo was taken it was not within the city limits.
-We have discussed this location in the past, but not concerning the service station.

Old 10-06-2021, 12:17 PM

267 posts, read 158,660 times
Sterling & Maple?

Old 10-06-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post
Sterling & Maple?

Half right! Please try again.

Old 10-06-2021, 07:41 PM

Walnut! Sterling and Walnut. Not sure why I said Maple.....

I miss the Indian!

Last edited by dmouse; 10-06-2021 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: elaboration

Old 10-07-2021, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post
Walnut! Sterling and Walnut. Not sure why I said Maple.....

I miss the Indian!

Close enough, it is actually 15th & Sterling. The station was 1435 Sterling, and operated from at least the 1920s into the late 60s or early 70s. In later years it was Graham's Welding. More about that in our thread from nine years ago, which you can follow by clicking the blue arrow in this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
While everyone's trying to figure out where Mad's photo was taken, I thought I'd throw this in to help stimulant rusty brain cells.

Old 10-07-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Close enough, it is actually 15th & Sterling. The station was 1435 Sterling, and operated from at least the 1920s into the late 60s or early 70s. In later years it was Graham's Welding. More about that in our thread from nine years ago, which you can follow by clicking the blue arrow in this post.

Thanks MAD.....I never would have remembered "15th street".

Old 10-10-2021, 12:27 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Quote:
Try as I might, even after a StreetView tour and a check on Polk's, nothing comes to mind with this intersection. Since my Summer and Holiday "commute" was from 59th and Blue Ridge to Sterling to US 24, I passed thru there hundreds of times over 7-8 years or so.

I don't even remember the welding place, although it is listed in 1961, which would have been in the midst of that commute.\

What's this about an Indian anyway?

Old 10-10-2021, 06:08 PM

The full size statue, made out of welded together parts, of an Indian carrying a football. It stood next to the building for years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City