Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2017, 10:38 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times

Advertisements

I always get a chuckle out of this when driving US 24.

Heading west on US 24 out of Buckner one is headed to Independence. About 1,000 feet west of the Buckner city limits is a large green and white mile post sign that says "Independence 10."

But, less than one-half mile further west from that "Independence 10" sign is another green and white sign that says "Independence, City Limit."

It is well known that Independence is in Jackson County, but it is not too well known that part of Independence is also in Clay County. I think it is fair to say that the Clay County portion has no residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 12:20 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Me thinks things have changed just a bit in the last 100 years. For evidence I present Exhibit A from the 1917 Examiner...

Speeding has become so prevalent and so dangerous that Chief of Police N.A. Harris has given his officers instructions to arrest all violators who exceed the speed limit. Seeing a motorcycle come tearing along on South Main Street, Chief Harris stepped out into the street and tried to stop the rider. The man swept by paying not the slightest attention to the officer. The Chief could not fire at the man for fear of shooting innocent people who were in range.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Google Earth shows construction of a new portion of Truman Road near the power plant with a new intersection at M-78.

Truman will dip south just west of the current intersection at M-78 to create a new intersection with a new widened four-lane M-78.

Truman will cross the new intersection heading southeast but will circle back up to the existing Truman to cross the existing intersection with the Little Blue Valley Parkway.

Besides the new intersection, this construction is supposed to complete the four lane(ing) of M-78 through Independence.

No word of whether the new leg of Truman is four or two lane or when or if Truman is to be widened to four lanes from Vista 2.35 miles to the new intersection.

The Examiner has said that 30 to 40 locations in the KC area, including an unidentified location along the Little Blue Parkway in Independence, is to be submitted as a prospective location of the new Amazon Headquarters two.
This intersection opened last Wednesday. I notice the Examiner is calling the intersection 23rd Street at Truman.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:53 AM

A 1966 edition of the Kansas City Times mentions a former Independence roller rink in the square area situated above a movie theater.

Where was this combination?

What was it replaced by?

(Somehow, I cannot envision watching a movie with skaters rolling above. Seems like there would be a lot of intrusive overhead noise.)

Old 11-12-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
A 1966 edition of the Kansas City Times mentions a former Independence roller rink in the square area situated above a movie theater.

Where was this combination?

What was it replaced by?

(Somehow, I cannot envision watching a movie with skaters rolling above. Seems like there would be a lot of intrusive overhead noise.)
That probably explains why it didn't last!

Old 11-13-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
That probably explains why it didn't last!
It lasted 24-25 years.

It was located on the same street as another Independence theater.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
This is the best I have found so far is an 1888 map. It shows that as Alton reaches the C&A tracks it follows those tracks over to what is now Crysler, and appears to continue north to the bridge. Unfortunately this map has few street names noted.

From a later map I have seen that portion of street hugging the C&A from Alton to Crysler was called Railroad (St. or Ave.?).

I can't post either right now, as my PB account has been jammed!
Finally!

Old 11-14-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:

Kansas City Journal, July 24, 1897, six months after the previous Journal article on the congestion of Alton between the two stations.
Quote:
This is the best I have found so far is an 1888 map. It shows that as Alton reaches the C&A tracks it follows those tracks over to what is now Crysler, and appears to continue north to the bridge. Unfortunately this map has few street names noted.

From a later map I have seen that portion of street hugging the C&A from Alton to Crysler was called Railroad (St. or Ave.?).

While at MGC today I checked a few sources. The 1888 City Directory has a street index. It shows Alton Avenue running east and west across the south side of the city; Railroad Avenue running parallel with the Pacific RR; and Train Avenue from Alton to the park.

A 1904 map shows Warwick in place of Alton. The 1911 map has Alton again, with Crysler where we expect it to be.

So far I have not found a good early map with all the streets identified.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
It lasted 24-25 years.

It was located on the same street as another Independence theater.
There were theaters on Lexington, Main, and Maple that I'm aware of, so that doesn't help much!

P.S. Are we the only two left in Old Independence?

Old 11-14-2017, 05:35 PM

Kansas City Star May 10, 1966

According to this article, the theater was next to the current back end of Shoco at the end of the 300 west block on Lexington and was entered on Lexington.

A 1916 Sanborn map shows a theater and roller rink extending from Lexington to Maple at this location but the map specs do not show a second floor nor do they show an entrance on Maple or on Lexington. The theater on the Granada site was known as the Lewis until 1932 when it became the Granada.

There was a huge remodeling done in 1940. As a result of the 1966 fire, the Granada renovated again and reopened. There was even a benefit showing for David Kraxner, the policeman slain in October 1966, that featured "The Ten Commandments."

The Granada was renovated because of the 1966 fire but closed three years later at Christmas time, 1968, according to a Dec 31, 1968, Examiner article. The closing came about because Urban Renewal wanted the theater to tear down and make way for a trafficway--apparently the circular drive that went around the square area. Urban Renewal was unable to find a suitable location to move the Grenada elsewhere.

The above article says the seating capacity of the Granada was 878. Boxoffice magazine says the theater at the 1940 renovation reopening was 1,000. At the benefit for David Kraxner the capacity was listed at 724.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City