Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2020, 09:42 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times

Advertisements

Waaaay back in this thread we did discuss the RR museum in Fairmount. Here are some notable posts on that topic. You'll find others if you continue reading from these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I never heard of the Heart of America Railroad Museum before (I don't think).

I see where it was dedicated on November 5, 1960 and had started with a diner car and lounge sleeper car. The president of the museum association was the editor of the InterCity News. By 1965 they had at least an additional 1912 steam engine. It was located behind the Fairmount post office. I dont recall where the post office was for Fairmount even thought I worked and lived there for one-two years in 1960, or so. Anyone know anymore about the post office location or the museum or what happened to it?

Update: The Fairmount post office was at 10058 Wilson road, which would have been north of Independence Avenue by one-half block. Tracks use to go behind that that location.
Quote:
The museum sold its Union Pacific #428 steam engine to the Illinois Railway Museum in 1968. The Heart of America Railway Museum was open 10 am to 4:30 pm on Friday and Saturday and 2:00 to 5.00 pm on Sunday. Admission was free. It was sponsored by the Kansas City Chapter of the National Railroad Historical Society. Apparently, the museum suffered from frequent vandalism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I remember seeing it when I was a kid living in Fairmount. The train sat along Cedar just west of Huttig, behind the old Standard State Bank. Unfortunately we never visited it.
Quote:
Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad lounge-sleeper #1534 containing seven upper and lower berths was built in 1917 by Pullman, rebuilt in the 30s, refurbished in the 50s, and stored in good condition in 1958.

The car was donated to the Heart of American Railway Museum in July 1960, then the car went to the Illinois Railroad Museum in 1968. The car had a nurse’s room and was heavily vandalized when the Illinois Railroad Museum obtained it. In 1995 the Illinois Railroad Museum was looking for information and equipment pertaining to the car.

I have a feeling the Illinois Railroad Museum might have taken all the equipment and I have an idea 1968 plus or minus a year or two might have been the last year for the Heart of America Railway Museum. Someone had a good idea but could not maintain or protect it.

Update: The Illinois Rairoad Museum was founded seven years earlier than the Heart of America Railway Museum but has grown to contain 450 pieces of equipment and is the largest such museum in the U.S. The museum supplied the trains for the movie "Flags of Our Fathers."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 05:25 PM

267 posts, read 158,452 times
OK MAD, I give up! YOU WIN!

Old 08-28-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post
OK MAD, I give up! YOU WIN!

Is this where Johnny Gilbert comes on and dramatically details my winnings?

Old 08-28-2020, 07:45 PM

267 posts, read 158,452 times
Quote:
Is this where Johnny Gilbert comes on and dramatically details my winnings?
Mad.....for winning today you get these lovely parting gifts: a case of Rice-a-Roni, and a City Data home game!

Back to you Alex..............

Old 08-29-2020, 04:20 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,501,432 times
a City Data home game!

I'll take the City Data home game.

Old 08-29-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
a City Data home game!

I'll take the City Data home game.

I daresay that you would be much better off if you desired a different game, as described beginning at this post and on the following pages from a while back...

Quote:
I made a serendipitous purchase at an estate sale this morning. Stay tuned for details, but first I am way behind on my chores...

Old 08-30-2020, 10:21 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,501,432 times
I daresay that you would be much better off if you desired a different game, as described beginning at this post and on the following pages from a while back...

I'll take your word on this, Mad Anthonie.

Old 08-30-2020, 12:04 PM

14,183 posts, read 9,080,000 times
Quote:
As I wasn't an Independence native, I joined this long-running thread very recently.

But I see that your backlink took me to page 614 of a 1,206-page thread!

Interesting that you found a sort of "Independenceopoly", only in the form of a trivia quiz! (Surprised they modeled the game board on "Monopoly" rather than "Trivial Pursuit," which I think had been published by the time the "Trivia Game of Independence" came out.) How did you score points, and what determined the winner?

Old 08-30-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
As I wasn't an Independence native, I joined this long-running thread very recently.

Interesting that you found a sort of "Independenceopoly", only in the form of a trivia quiz! (Surprised they modeled the game board on "Monopoly" rather than "Trivial Pursuit," which I think had been published by the time the "Trivia Game of Independence" came out.) How did you score points, and what determined the winner?

Good questions! I don't recall, but sometime soon I'll dig out the game and look. We never actually played the game, just asked some of the questions included with it.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

This shall remain a mystery for now. The game I obtained was missing the rules, so I have no clue if I won or not! Perhaps someone else will run across the game in a garage or estate sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City