Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2020, 01:53 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
At Truman, my wife was Debi Scott. I happen to be the webmaster for williamchrismanclassof1963.com.
Was Mike Maddox the QB?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post
......waiting.......waiting..........
I was going to go into the online genealogy library for more Polk's Independence to fill in the sequence of Noland Rd Dealerships

Only to realize they only go to 1960

It's a Memory Thing
It's a terrible thing to lose

Old 11-01-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post
We used to watch her walk by while in class at Truman. Saw her all over town.
Good grief 1965-1968 to at least 1981

That's alot of miles. Maybe she had "Larry Young-type legs"

Old 11-01-2020, 09:32 PM

908 posts, read 725,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Was Mike Maddox the QB?
Mike Mattox was about 6'5" to 6"6" and weighed probably about 225 to 230. He was a star center for the Chrisman basketball team and he graduated in 1962. In either his junior or senior year he decided to play football and was a running back or full back. In a game against Raytown High, he was running the ball when a few players from Raytown tried to tackle him, but he would not go down. About nine or ten players ended up taking him down and he broke his leg. Mike ended up at the University of Oregon playing basketball. He was a very nice gentleman.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Mike Mattox was about 6'5" to 6"6" and weighed probably about 225 to 230. He was a star center for the Chrisman basketball team and he graduated in 1962. In either his junior or senior year he decided to play football and was a running back or full back. In a game against Raytown High, he was running the ball when a few players from Raytown tried to tackle him, but he would not go down. About nine or ten players ended up taking him down and he broke his leg. Mike ended up at the University of Oregon playing basketball. He was a very nice gentleman.
I was at that Raytown game at WCHS I thought he was the QB and remember him going down (both ankles broken) I do recall him being a really big guy for that age and especially that FB era (Now, the Clemson QB is 6'5" 250)

That was the first HS game I ever attended

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 11-02-2020 at 08:52 AM..

Old 11-02-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
There are many references to MM using Google search. One in particular which I will link below

This is from an Examiner article

Mike Mattox, class of 1962. Mattox was a member of football and basketball teams at Chrisman and was the 1962 state champion in the discus. In 1961 and 1962 he medaled in the shot put. He qualified as a decathlete for the 1968 Olympic Games but was injured in preparation and forced to miss the games. He is currently a sporting goods and sports exercise equipment salesman.

This is worth your read. The first one third tells about his athletic career, unfortunately cut short from the after effects of the aforementioned FB injury. He was one hell of an athlete, imagine coming that close to the 1968 Olympics I remember Bill Toomey And of course, Bruce Jenner (Pre-opp)

Also successful with four patents

Enjoy

[url="https://www.thepunchprotector.com/sports-science-lab-interviews-68-athleteinventor-mike-mattox/"]

Old 11-02-2020, 12:35 PM

https://www.thepunchprotector.com/sports-science-lab-interviews-68-athleteinventor-mike-mattox/

Old 11-02-2020, 02:57 PM

908 posts, read 725,991 times
Quote:
There are many references to MM using Google search. One in particular which I will link below

This is from an Examiner article

Mike Mattox, class of 1962. Mattox was a member of football and basketball teams at Chrisman and was the 1962 state champion in the discus. In 1961 and 1962 he medaled in the shot put. He qualified as a decathlete for the 1968 Olympic Games but was injured in preparation and forced to miss the games. He is currently a sporting goods and sports exercise equipment salesman.

This is worth your read. The first one third tells about his athletic career, unfortunately cut short from the after effects of the aforementioned FB injury. He was one hell of an athlete, imagine coming that close to the 1968 Olympics I remember Bill Toomey And of course, Bruce Jenner (Pre-opp)

Also successful with four patents

Enjoy

[url="https://www.thepunchprotector.com/sports-science-lab-interviews-68-athleteinventor-mike-mattox/"]
As a Junior in the Fall of 1961, I too went to the game where Mattox was injured.
Due to my foggybrainitus, which strikes me more and more often, I thought I ought to look up what position Mike played. In the 1962 Yearbook, Mike was not pictured with the football team as he was out with two other halfbacks due to injuries.

The article had a lot of information that I never knew about him. Thanks for that. I plan to post the link on our class website.

Old 11-06-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I ran across The Star's "All District BB Team" for 1961 which I guess was the precursor of today's All-Metro team

Mattox made the second team. 1961 would have been his junior year.

BTW two members of the first team (10 players) were from a place called "Malta Bend" WTH? Never heard of it, thought it might be a defunct old HS

MB is east of KC along the Mighty Mo. Near where the Missouri ups and does its 3/4 loop, on US 65.

Wikipedia says MB the town has a population of around 300

Must've been one helluva small skool team

Old 11-06-2020, 03:51 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Quote:
I ran across The Star's "All District BB Team" for 1961 which I guess was the precursor of today's All-Metro team

Mattox made the second team. 1961 would have been his junior year.

BTW two members of the first team (10 players) were from a place called "Malta Bend" WTH? Never heard of it, thought it might be a defunct old HS

MB is east of KC along the Mighty Mo. Near where the Missouri ups and does its 3/4 loop, on US 65.

Wikipedia says MB the town has a population of around 300

Must've been one helluva small skool team

Malta Bend is also the resting place for buried treasure in the form of a sunken riverboat. The Hawley family (Steamboat Arabia) has set their targets on excavating that one next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City