Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2017, 05:13 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times

Advertisements

I can recall truck scales belonging to the state being on the southeast corner of Highway 40 and US By Pass 71 (Noland Road). These scales were owned and operated by the state of Missouri.

Today, there appear to be no truck scales in Independence, but there are a number of privately owned certified truck scales within 25 miles of Independence, including several east of Independence.

At one time, the city of Independence also had “truck sized” scales. I cannot say for what purpose they were used. A city department was responsible for operation of the scales.

The city also had an Inspector of Weights and Measures. This position might have had something to do with the city scales or might have been to check the weight accuracy of vendor’s on site small scales. At an early point in the 20th century, the inspector position was eliminated and the responsibility given to others including members of the police department.

As far as the city weigh scales, maybe a farmer would weigh a wagon load of produce and then go to a local buyer who did not have his own large scales. If the price was to the farmer’s liking, he would accept and then after unloading go back to the scale and weigh again. The farmer would then go back to the buyer and present both of his weight tickets. I don’t have a clue, though. Anyone know exactly what the city scales were used for?

At any rate, where were the city scales located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 10:44 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
I can recall truck scales belonging to the state being on the southeast corner of Highway 40 and US By Pass 71 (Noland Road). These scales were owned and operated by the state of Missouri.

I remember those. They were there for a long time

Old 01-03-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
All of the paved over track around the Square would have been removed during the great Urban Renewal crisis of the early 1970s. I wonder if any is still covered going down Main Street, or down Winner Road.

This is where the trolley line was in relation to the square. The stub on Lexington was where Pearl Wilcox stated the depot was. Not only did Lexington have double tracks but Liberty did also. This scene was the limit of what I could see. I will continue to look to find other portions.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:56 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Anyone know exactly what the city scales were used for?

I'm thinking they were just off the Square, but I'm fuzzy about which way.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
This is where the trolley line was in relation to the square. The stub on Lexington was where Pearl Wilcox stated the depot was. Not only did Lexington have double tracks but Liberty did also. This scene was the limit of what I could see. I will continue to look to find other portions.

The Liberty Street double line going north ends before present day Truman Road and then continues as single track north to Moore Street where it ends.

The Liberty Street double line going south ends before Kansas Street becoming single track and at Kansas heads east to and merges with the Main Street Line.

The Main Street Line goes south to South Side Boulevard and then heads east on Fair to the Fair Grounds.

The Lexington double track going west is double all the way to Winner Road and appears to be double clear to the present day western city limits.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:

Today, there appear to be no truck scales in Independence, but there are a number of privately owned certified truck scales within 25 miles of Independence, including several east of Independence.

At one time, the city of Independence also had “truck sized” scales. I cannot say for what purpose they were used. A city department was responsible for operation of the scales.

The city also had an Inspector of Weights and Measures. This position might have had something to do with the city scales or might have been to check the weight accuracy of vendor’s on site small scales. At an early point in the 20th century, the inspector position was eliminated and the responsibility given to others including members of the police department.

As far as the city weigh scales, maybe a farmer would weigh a wagon load of produce and then go to a local buyer who did not have his own large scales. If the price was to the farmer’s liking, he would accept and then after unloading go back to the scale and weigh again. The farmer would then go back to the buyer and present both of his weight tickets. I don’t have a clue, though. Anyone know exactly what the city scales were used for?

According to the Examiner of 100 years ago, the city scales were located in the alley north of the fire department. That would place them on the now Truman Road just east of Main street.

West Van Horn street ended at Spring where an alley began. East Van Horn street took up again east of Lynn street. I do not know when the alley between Spring and Lynn became part of the newly named Truman Road, but I am betting that it was in 1953-54 when Truman Road was widened using money from a bond issue passed by the voters of Independence. That widening could not have gone past Forest street where the west city limits then ended, if it went that far.

In 1916, the city scales were continuously being adjusted to true, but teams kept driving across them knocking them out of balance. Apparently, the teams were in transit without stopping to weigh. The fire department was responsible for the city scales.

A comment concerning Spring Branch Road:

Sanborn maps has east Van Horn Road starting at Lynn street and going as far east as Pearl street where the mapping ends. None of the Sanborn maps show Spring Branch Road as a name for the eastern portion of present-day Truman Road in Independence.

Wikipedia says that Spring Branch Road started east of what is now M-291 highway.

A 2,000-foot section of Spring Branch Road still exists on maps between the area of Weir Road and Van Dyke Road east of Lake City Arsenal meandering off of Truman Road and back on to Truman, but the last time I was there it was blocked off at both ends.

One web site shows this short segment of Spring Branch Road as being in Buckner. Holy Moly, I did not realize that Buckner had annexed that far south in that area—but that may just be the mailing address.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:

A comment concerning Spring Branch Road:

Sanborn maps has east Van Horn Road starting at Lynn street and going as far east as Pearl street where the mapping ends. None of the Sanborn maps show Spring Branch Road as a name for the eastern portion of present-day Truman Road in Independence.

Wikipedia says that Spring Branch Road started east of what is now M-291 highway.

A 2,000-foot section of Spring Branch Road still exists on maps between the area of Weir Road and Van Dyke Road east of Lake City Arsenal meandering off of Truman Road and back on to Truman, but the last time I was there it was blocked off at both ends.

One web site shows this short segment of Spring Branch Road as being in Buckner. Holy Moly, I did not realize that Buckner had annexed that far south in that area—but that may just be the mailing address.
I have a 1925 map that shows Spring Branch Road coming up to at least Hocker (that's where the label is), but the way it's drawn suggests the SBR going up to Main, where the road narrows to an alley.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:41 AM

409 posts, read 293,441 times
On the Facebook page "Independence - Then and Now," someone inquired about a small building on the south side of 24 hwy at Arlington, just west of the railroad bridge. Here's a photo: https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.net...bc&oe=591CA717

A commenter said that it was part of what used to be an old motel. Anyone remember this?

Old 01-06-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
On the Facebook page "Independence - Then and Now," someone inquired about a small building on the south side of 24 hwy at Arlington, just west of the railroad bridge. Here's a photo: https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.net...bc&oe=591CA717

A commenter said that it was part of what used to be an old motel. Anyone remember this?

Have no recollection of that.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post

I just viewed the site via Bing Maps Bird's Eye view. Although I lived in that end of town for several years and drove past it many times, I had never noticed that building. However, the only chance of a driver seeing it while driving past would be if you were southbound on Arlington from the north side of US 24.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City