Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2014, 11:24 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,724,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
This is a reasonable rendition of what my crystal radio set looked like, although I had a small crystal rock less than one-half inch in diameter near the coil. There was no power source and the radio was sort of sound powered like a tin can telephone setup. Station tuning was accomplished by moving that rod back and forth across the copper coil. There was no volume control for the head phone which would have attached to one of the clips. This was shoestring crystal radio at the entry level. The wiring for the head phone was covered with rubber and then cloth.

Wow! Thanks for the memories!!

I built several of those as a kid starting out in 6th grade radio club. Looks like the one pictured has a new-fangled diode as the detector. I worked up to those, but started with the crystal rocks that you mention.

I lived in Minnesota about a half mile from WCCO's 50,000 watt tower and how that boomed in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 12:57 PM

908 posts, read 725,813 times
Quote:
There was a big Woolco on that side when that center first opened.
I'm not sure where you are saying the United Supers and Woolco were. The United Supers was above Raveill's Hardware on the east side of the shopping center and was the only building there. It was next to a gas station (I believe it was a Sinclair, but not sure) that sat on the corner. The Hub Shopping Center's main structure was on the west side of the parking lot most likely on the land your friend owned. Woolco was the first space on the north said of that strip.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Wow! Thanks for the memories!!

I built several of those as a kid starting out in 6th grade radio club. Looks like the one pictured has a new-fangled diode as the detector. I worked up to those, but started with the crystal rocks that you mention.

I lived in Minnesota about a half mile from WCCO's 50,000 watt tower and how that boomed in.
Another big radio station and one we could pick up in KC area was WLS out of Chicago. They used to play rock and roll back in the 50s and/or early 60s.

Also, as a youngster before the A's came to KC, I used to listen to KFEQ 680 to listen to the Cardinals in the days of Stan "the Man, Red Schoendienst, and the other Cardinal greats of the early 50s. The announce was the one and only Harry Carey. Wow! Loved those days.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:08 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
I'm not sure where you are saying the United Supers and Woolco were. The United Supers was above Raveill's Hardware on the east side of the shopping center and was the only building there. It was next to a gas station (I believe it was a Sinclair, but not sure) that sat on the corner. The Hub Shopping Center's main structure was on the west side of the parking lot most likely on the land your friend owned. Woolco was the first space on the north said of that strip.
I am probably confused. I remember a Woolco on the west side and thought Heflin's US was also on the west side.

As for the Woolco, I am thinking that the Woolworths (same as Woolco more or less) on the square went out or was on the way out when it was built.

K-Mart (SS Kresgees) more or less has stuck around in the US market whereas I dont think there are any Woolcos left.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:37 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
Quote:
I am probably confused. I remember a Woolco on the west side and thought Heflin's US was also on the west side.

As for the Woolco, I am thinking that the Woolworths (same as Woolco more or less) on the square went out or was on the way out when it was built.

K-Mart (SS Kresgees) more or less has stuck around in the US market whereas I dont think there are any Woolcos left.
Heflin's United Super was upstairs from the hardware store, facing north. Today it is a DAV thrift store. Woolco was SW of that building, where the current Price Chopper is. Woolco closed in 1983 or 84.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:43 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,724,359 times
Quote:
Another big radio station and one we could pick up in KC area was WLS out of Chicago. They used to play rock and roll back in the 50s and/or early 60s.

Also, as a youngster before the A's came to KC, I used to listen to KFEQ 680 to listen to the Cardinals in the days of Stan "the Man, Red Schoendienst, and the other Cardinal greats of the early 50s. The announce was the one and only Harry Carey. Wow! Loved those days.
Ahhh, yes....WLS was monstrously powerful in the Minneapolis area as well starting at sunset - especially in winter.

The only station I remember getting from KC was WHB - with a rock format essentially the same as WDGY in Minneapolis. They were both owned by the Storz broadcasting group that is credited for creating the Top-40 format. WHB reception was sporadic, though. I believe they were only 10,000 watts back then and directional. Some nights very strong and others not there at all, depending on conditions.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Heflin's United Super was upstairs from the hardware store, facing north. Today it is a DAV thrift store. Woolco was SW of that building, where the current Price Chopper is. Woolco closed in 1983 or 84.
I took my camera the other day to Independence to take a picture of a site that I remembered that no one has ever talked about. It looks like I should have taken a picture from 23rd Street and 291 back to the West so some perspective would be given between the two stores. Tony is correct, but if you haven't been in town in the last decade or so, you might not remember that Price Chopper was on the NW corner, but moved to where Woolco was. A farm implement dealer when in where the old Price Chopper was. And the DAV store may not be recalled either. Change seems to be eternal. :-)

Old 04-19-2014, 01:49 PM

How did I get to be a Senior Member? Does this mean I get a discount on the price of the service here? :-)

Old 04-19-2014, 03:14 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Quote:
It is such a small world. First, we used to live in Plano and second, we both knew Larry. He and I were in same graduating class of WCHS in 1963 and yes, he was the model for the male in the yearbook. He came to our 50th class reunion last September and we had a chance to catch up on old times.

Did you also graduate from Chrisman? If yes, what year?

Indeed, it is ! Larry's younger brother was my age, and our parents bowled together down at Sterling. We moved to Raytown and I went to school there, but my family had the gift and card shop at Alton and 24 Hiway SC, so that's how we met the Pitts family. My Mom however is a WCHS grad, living just a few houses down from the old HS. So I'm a semi outsider here, with my Independence era being mid 50s to mid 60s. After that I started staying home and hanging out with classmates

Old 04-19-2014, 03:19 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times
Quote:

Do you remember when Enos Slaughter came in to play for the A's?

I think I remember a station from Del Rio, Texas, and another from Delano, California.

The DJ in Delano had a velvet voice that was a sheer enjoyment to hear.

That may have been after I got a shortwave, am-fm radio but not sure when. I recall hearing a cook on a ship somewhere in the Atlantic calling in his grocery list to a place on shore in Norfolk, VA, chuckle. A 100 pound bag of potatoes was one of his requirements.

This was a portable outfit that was the size of a small suitcase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City