Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 05:30 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,760,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
Can anyone remember the names of these 2 hardware stores? The first one was on the south-west corner of 23rd & 291. The Dollar tree is located there now. The store that sits street level above and faces north is now a Red Rack thrift store but looks like it used to be a Safeway or some other grocery store. The Hdwr store I refer to was on the lower backside of this structure. They were there in the 80's. They were stocked with plumbing parts that many places didn't carry let alone know about. Then sometime in the late 80's early 90's they changed hands and weren't nearly as good or knowledgeable. They soon went out of business. The second store I can't recall was on 23rd just east of Sterling on the north side. Probably to vague to be able to come up with a name. (Not a contest, just trying to remember)

You're probably talking about another store if "just east of Sterling" but Plaza Hardware was located in the Alton Plaza SC where the Kroger, TG&Y and Crown Drug stores were. The SC was closer to Crysler than Sterling however so it might not be the one you're thinking of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 05:36 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
Can anyone remember the names of these 2 hardware stores? The first one was on the south-west corner of 23rd & 291. The Dollar tree is located there now. The store that sits street level above and faces north is now a Red Rack thrift store but looks like it used to be a Safeway or some other grocery store. The Hdwr store I refer to was on the lower backside of this structure. They were there in the 80's. They were stocked with plumbing parts that many places didn't carry let alone know about. Then sometime in the late 80's early 90's they changed hands and weren't nearly as good or knowledgeable. They soon went out of business. The second store I can't recall was on 23rd just east of Sterling on the north side. Probably to vague to be able to come up with a name. (Not a contest, just trying to remember)
The store in the Hub Shopping Center was Raveill Hardware, owned by Max Raveill. My F-I-L worked there in the early 80s.

At 11210 E 23rd was the Sterling Hardware. I don't think I ever entered that store.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:48 PM

320 posts, read 309,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
The store in the Hub Shopping Center was Raveill Hardware, owned by Max Raveill. My F-I-L worked there in the early 80s.

At 11210 E 23rd was the Sterling Hardware. I don't think I ever entered that store.
That's it!!! Drove me nutty trying to remember (short trip). Thank you! Sterling Hardware was pretty good but was a bit of a drive. What sold me on Raveill was when I needed to replace tub handle in an old house we bought on E. Elm, a couple of places I went couldn't help. Went to Raveill , the man looked at it, said,"that's a Gerber". Walked down an aisle pulled out a drawer scrounged around and pulled out the part. They were always helpful and knowledgeable. Went there quite a bit while living in the old house.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:30 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,765,093 times
Quote:

That name Max Raveill is popping up in my RAM database but I cannot place it. I was never in that store but could it be he got his start at Brown Hardware when that store was on either north corner of Kiger (Lee's Summit) and 23rd?

Edit: I answered this myself. An April 5, 1962, advertisement in the KC Star has the Max Raveill Hardware at 15802 E 23rd which would have been on the northeast corner of Kiger (Lee's Summit) and 23rd. It would seem that John Brown sold that store a lot earlier than I thought.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 04-14-2014 at 06:39 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 10:23 AM

According to the KC Star of Dec 15, 1955, one could buy a 5 foot aluminum stepladder at Bunting Hardware, 111 w Lexington in Independence for $14.95.

That location is now a "vacant" lot across from the courthouse next to the Courthouse Exchange but there appear to be a number of tables and chairs and what looks like a dance floor area there now. I think I have seen colored lights decorating the area also.

At some point Bunting moved over on the Maple side of the courthouse displacing, perhaps, Woolworths but it might have been to the west of that place. The move doubled or tripled their space. I always thought Bunting was home grown, but the main store was in Kansas City.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
That name Max Raveill is popping up in my RAM database but I cannot place it. I was never in that store but could it be he got his start at Brown Hardware when that store was on either north corner of Kiger (Lee's Summit) and 23rd?

Edit: I answered this myself. An April 5, 1962, advertisement in the KC Star has the Max Raveill Hardware at 15802 E 23rd which would have been on the northeast corner of Kiger (Lee's Summit) and 23rd. It would seem that John Brown sold that store a lot earlier than I thought.

The KC Star of March 14, 1970, has Max at 23rd and US 71 Bypass.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:08 AM

778 posts, read 1,024,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
According to the KC Star of Dec 15, 1955, one could buy a 5 foot aluminum stepladder at Bunting Hardware, 111 w Lexington in Independence for $14.95.

That location is now a "vacant" lot across from the courthouse next to the Courthouse Exchange but there appear to be a number of tables and chairs and what looks like a dance floor area there now. I think I have seen colored lights decorating the area also.

At some point Bunting moved over on the Maple side of the courthouse displacing, perhaps, Woolworths but it might have been to the west of that place. The move doubled or tripled their space. I always thought Bunting was home grown, but the main store was in Kansas City.

The "vacant lot" you describe is set up as a beer garden that is very busy during Santa-Cali-Gon. They set up a large tent that serves as a cover for tables and chairs.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:50 AM

KC Star, December 15, 1935, has Bunting Hardware at 111 w Lexington with Daisy Air Rifles at $1.29 and Electric Toaster at $1.09.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:57 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,153 times
Perhaps this mystery will take more than 10 minutes to solve!

Where is/was this?

Old 04-17-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Perhaps this mystery will take more than 10 minutes to solve!

Where is/was this?

Maybe Slover Park in the old days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City