Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2016, 03:51 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
The Pioneer Map of Jackson Co. which I purchased while at the Historical Society shows a Wm. Hudspeth just E/NE of Six Mile Baptist Church. Of course the Hudspeths are prominently mentioned in the 1877 Plat Book cited earlier by MAD as well as in Pearl Wilcox's book.
The preponderance of Hudspeth land out that way would explain the location of the Hudspeth Cemetery at 2710 N Six Mile Church Road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 04:34 PM

9 posts, read 6,893 times
Default Hudspeths

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
The Pioneer Map of Jackson Co. which I purchased while at the Historical Society shows a Wm. Hudspeth just E/NE of Six Mile Baptist Church. Of course the Hudspeths are prominently mentioned in the 1877 Plat Book cited earlier by MAD as well as in Pearl Wilcox's book.
Through the years with the Hudspeths/Anna Ford, is the Book/Books, I think 5 volumes at the JC Genealogy library.
I think Wm Hudspeth came here in 1826 if memory serves me correctly???? lol
Went To Fort Osage HS and was related to a lot class mates.

Also Lamartine Hudspeth Buried in Washington Cem in same area a Jim Bridger....ran into the law as mentioned in:
James-Younger Gang

Thank you for the other References you mentioned.

Regards,

Old 12-08-2016, 04:35 PM

Default Hudspeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
The preponderance of Hudspeth land out that way would explain the location of the Hudspeth Cemetery at 2710 N Six Mile Church Road.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:04 PM

Question Name of Barbershop

Barber shop name on Maple a door or 2 west from Elko....father always called it I think by mans last name.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:25 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wino1940s View Post
Barber shop name on Maple a door or 2 west from Elko....father always called it I think by mans last name.

In my trusty 1988 Polk's it shows 209 W Maple as Randal's For Hair, and 211 as Complextions Beauty Salon.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:35 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Quote:
You ain't far from the truth! We pack a good ol' fashioned flip phone set up for voice calls only.

I would invite y'all to come watch, but I am not optimistic horse and buggy will get you here by Tuesday nite

Old 12-09-2016, 09:27 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times
Speaking of “local” history on cable, Death Valley Days yesterday presented what they called “Tribute to the Dog,” It was a 1964 presentation starring Ronald Reagan as Attorney George Vest, a lawyer practicing in Warrensburg, MO. The name of the dog in the program was Johnny.

The program mentions that this true story occurred in western Kansas in 1870. Whereas it actually occurred in Warrensburg, Mo, in 1869/1870 and the dog’s name was Old Drum. About the only fact the program got right was the name of George Vest and his speech at trial concerning man and his dog. A synopsis of the program on the Death Valley Days web did get the dog’s name correct even though a different name was used in the program.

Everyone knows the story of Old Drum, right? After the 1870 trial, the Missouri Supreme Court settled the issue. There is a monument erected to Old Drum on the Johnson County courthouse square in Warrensburg with a statue sculpted by Reno Gastaldi.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wino1940s View Post
Chocolate Cokes at Denton Drug are to be remembered
I was in Denton's one time looking for something specific, which I cannot recall what it was. They did not have it and I left. I remember seeing the fountain and believe it was on the left, maybe, as one walked in.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:

In my trusty 1988 Polk's it shows 209 W Maple as Randal's For Hair, and 211 as Complextions Beauty Salon.
As of 2013, Randal's appears to still be there.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:04 AM

From the Examiner fifty years ago:

“Another step in reducing traffic accidents in Independence was taken when police erected a safety light warning signal at Kansas and Main streets.

“The sign will feature a light that will show red when a fatality has occurred in the preceding 24 hours, yellow when an injury occurs, and green when there has been a period with no injuries or fatalities.”

We might have discussed this light setup before on the forum. The setup was a normal red, yellow and green traffic light encased in a large sign. It was on the corner lawn of the old police building. I remember when it went up and liked driving by to see the status. Maybe it got too expensive to maintain.

Some military posts adopted this same sort of sign. There were infrequent auto accidents on base, but in their case the red light was to signify drunk driving detentions on the post or in case of the Air Force, the base.

With alcohol pouring freely at the enlisted club, the NCO club, and the Officers Club, drunk driving was a problem on a number of posts. Not to mention the availability of Class VI (alcohol) also available at an on post package liquor store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City