Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2016, 10:58 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Who is this guy?

He was born in Kentucky in the same year a very unfortunate individual was inaugurated as President of the United States. Just before he was ten, he arrived in Independence with his parents.

He eventually became a private school teacher but then decided to relocate within Missouri moving east to a county named for a nationally, and perhaps internationally, famous Missourian. He remained there for a dozen years serving as the president of a local college.

He returned to Independence and headed a college for almost twenty years. Then he changed positions again, and barely missed handing Harry S. Truman and Bess Wallace their high school diplomas. He had to resign a few years later and was replaced by a man from Mexico.

Both he and the first mayor of Independence have been similarly honored.

Maybe this photo will help. You might have seen him around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 11:30 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:

Maybe this photo will help. You might have seen him around.
That's the dude! I spent some time at the place named in his honor.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:14 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
This is on tonight at 9:00 PM CST
I hope everyone that can watch this, will . . .and comment here re: reaction, recollections, locations, etc. Sometimes I've noticed this Series changes "facts" a bit and/or leaves out items of interest.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:19 PM

Here is a photo of senior student Sharon Hall, aka Kinne, taken from the 1957 WCHS year book.

While she was a senior at the old WCHS, I was a sophomore in the same building. Don't ever remember her but I think she might have dropped out before the end of the school year.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:22 PM

I seem to recall the Thunderbird Sharon Kinne purchased from Moody Motors as being blue rather than red, chuckle.

I have got to re-read the book.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:09 PM

908 posts, read 726,724 times
Quote:
I have it on record.

Still trying to find when they will rerun the Greenlease case.
I am happy that I had it on dvr, but unhappy that I gave the wrong time. When I found the episodes of the various cases, it said the time was 9:00 PM and I thought it was CST. Since it was on at 8:00 PM, it had to have been EST. If I misled someone, I apologize.

James Kinne used to ride with my father to Bendix on Bannister. All I can say about the show is that she is or was one evil person. My brother graduated from WCHS in 1958, but I don't recall him ever talking about her.

One thing of interest to me was that it said that she lived on 26th Street. When she was married to James, they lived in a little brick duplex off Walnut just west of Pleasant. Since he was LDS, I'm guessing he just had to walk across the street to go to church. That church was razed many years ago.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
I am happy that I had it on dvr, but unhappy that I gave the wrong time. When I found the episodes of the various cases, it said the time was 9:00 PM and I thought it was CST. Since it was on at 8:00 PM, it had to have been EST. If I misled someone, I apologize.

James Kinne used to ride with my father to Bendix on Bannister. All I can say about the show is that she is or was one evil person. My brother graduated from WCHS in 1958, but I don't recall him ever talking about her.

One thing of interest to me was that it said that she lived on 26th Street. When she was married to James, they lived in a little brick duplex off Walnut just west of Pleasant. Since he was LDS, I'm guessing he just had to walk across the street to go to church. That church was razed many years ago.
Yeah, I wondered why the show was over when I sat down to watch @ 10 PM Eastern lol.....but fortunately I tape all the episodes so it was already to go

The Kinne Case is one of the first "news" events I remember. Seems like it was on TV ALOT, and I guess it was with all that happened and over the course of years. Alex Peebles must have been some character, as he was also the lawyer for the Michael Cline kid who bolted while the cops were coming for him in the Summer of 1970 at Lake . . Lotawana? Tapawingo? Escapes me for the moment. The suspicion is that Cline too wound up in a foreign country, and Peebles had a ranch somewhere in Mexico or Central America.

I had never heard of the term "lovers lane" until the TV reports. It was only since we discussed here some time ago I even knew where the lovers lane was.

Did anyone notice the coroner who testified was Dr Charles Wheeler, who later became Mayor of KC? Was he also the botcher of the evidence re Patricia's body?

Lastly, one of the theories re her whereabouts was the family of the murdered Mexican arranged for her escape so they could exact revenge by killing her

Interesting case indeed and appropriate for the historical nature and time setting for that series. WCHS the Greenlease episode is repeated occasionally.

PS Also the Liberty & 24 meetup place was also a new fact to me. Just looked up the intersection on Streetview.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Here is a photo of senior student Sharon Hall, aka Kinne, taken from the 1957 WCHS year book.

While she was a senior at the old WCHS, I was a sophomore in the same building. Don't ever remember her but I think she might have dropped out before the end of the school year.

She looked evil back then too

The actress who played her did a good job I thought altho she looked nothing like SK

Old 12-13-2016, 10:10 PM

908 posts, read 726,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Yeah, I wondered why the show was over when I sat down to watch @ 10 PM Eastern lol.....but fortunately I tape all the episodes so it was already to go

PS Also the Liberty & 24 meetup place was also a new fact to me. Just looked up the intersection on Streetview.
Whew! I am glad I did not mess it up for you. The Liberty and U.S. 24 looked nothing like the actual location.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:

Those are quite the coincidences. Wikipedia has a nice long entry on SK. It says they first rented the duplex, then built the house at 17009 E 26th Terrace, which puts the murder of James Kinne just east of 291 near RD Mize.

Answering my own question, Charles Wheeler was not the one who did the autopsy. Wiki says a Dr Hugh Owens and the botcher was the undertaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City