Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2016, 06:37 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
Roger Maris lived in Manor Oaks on Mar-Bec Trail just west of Shady Bend Drive. The home sits on the south side.
My recollection of his first KC residency, including the 61 in '61, that Maris lived just two or three houses down from Medlin's Malt Shop at 51st and Blue Ridge (across from then-Chapel Elementary).

Medlin's eventually became Medlin's Colonial Inn restaurant, and I imagine the house is still there. I'll Streetwalk it to be sure.

Since my access to Polk's only goes thru 1960, maybe MAD can give us a Christmas present and check 1962 et seq. However, I think the house in question was just inside the Raytown City Limits and no Polk's for Raytown for several years (I just purchased the 1974 on eBay) Independence should have, of course, the Manor Oaks listing (not doubting you, Casey, just curious how long Maris lived in Manor Oaks)

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 12-18-2016 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 07:06 PM

[quote=CatHerder;46535368]I think you're right. I remember hearing that Maris lived a couple of blocks away when I was in grade school. I can also remember several ballplayers in the vicinity when we lived there and off of Noland Rd., though the other names escape me. I went to school with one of the ballplayer's daughters.

When the Royals became the new ball club, I recall a number of players building houses in Blue Springs. Maybe that was considered a ritzy part of town? I'm assuming that pay was higher by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
From the Examiner fifty years ago

"From his Independence home, outfielder Roger Maris indicated he would not discuss the trade sending him from the New York Yankees to the St. Louis Cardinals – until after the first of the year. Maris, who smashed 61 homers in 1961 to set an all-time Major League season record, had been traded by the Kansas City A's to New York in 1960."

I think he lived in Manor Oaks. The most money this North Dakotan ever made at Kansas City was $15,000 per year during his last year in '59.
Since we lived fairly close to each other from what I gather here, we are probably thinking of the same Maris address.

I remember a family in my hood who built a home in BS in 1970 and thinking "WTH?" why would you leave here where you've lived only a few years and move WAY OUT to BLUE SPRINGS? It was essentially a small town, with nearby farms, like Lee's Summit. But by the end of the decade I too was a Blue Springs resident, it had boomed in the 70s.

I think George Brett was one of the Royals who lived in BS. That was kinda big deal from what I remember. Paul Splittorff too? Frank White?

Old 12-18-2016, 07:13 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I re-watched with my wife since she was only familiar with the case what she's heard from me. We could not help but be amused at a couple of staged scenes and the actors playing Sharon and Browning. As the Narrator said "Sharon kept drawing aces" and the incredulous look on "Browning" when he throws a fit over the various screw ups "NO MORE MISTAKES" then the next scene morphs with the deputy telling him the "mistake" made in handling Patricia's body. LOL Then there was the shot of Sharon's comely figure sauntering by his face as she walks out of court a free woman after acquittal. I thought those parts well done to "make the point" of how she kept defeating him, even though she was very careless in her schemes.

The nerdy actor resembled Terry The Toad in American Graffiti, guy who meant no harm but was always getting screwed over.

In a followup chapter of the series, he plays a married nerdy subservient to his wife and pays close attention to the family finances but is a female child killer.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
His son David was in the same class that I was in the Raytown school district. Thought of another from our neighborhood: Wayne Causey.

Hmmm I didn't know that. Or have forgotten On the east side of 51st?

Causey was, yes, a utility infielder. And batted left handed (or switch hitter).

Whitey Herzog also lived in Independence.
[/quote]

I have that address somewhere (if I can find my notes)

Also, another "A" with a brief residence in Independence was catcher Harry Chiti, who would come in my Mom's store with his wife. I met him once there and thought it was a pretty big deal. Even got his autograph lol. The Chitis lived north of Chrisman.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:22 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times
[quote=MRG Dallas;46548465]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
I think you're right. I remember hearing that Maris lived a couple of blocks away when I was in grade school. I can also remember several ballplayers in the vicinity when we lived there and off of Noland Rd., though the other names escape me. I went to school with one of the ballplayer's daughters.

When the Royals became the new ball club, I recall a number of players building houses in Blue Springs. Maybe that was considered a ritzy part of town? I'm assuming that pay was higher by then.

Since we lived fairly close to each other from what I gather here, we are probably thinking of the same Maris address.

I remember a family in my hood who built a home in BS in 1970 and thinking "WTH?" why would you leave here where you've lived only a few years and move WAY OUT to BLUE SPRINGS? It was essentially a small town, with nearby farms, like Lee's Summit. But by the end of the decade I too was a Blue Springs resident, it had boomed in the 70s.

I think George Brett was one of the Royals who lived in BS. That was kinda big deal from what I remember. Paul Splittorff too? Frank White?
TAR NATION!

Brett must have graduated.

This is his home in Mission Hills, KS.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:56 PM

908 posts, read 724,727 times
Quote:
My recollection of his first KC residency, including the 61 in '61, that Maris lived just two or three houses down from Medlin's Malt Shop at 51st and Blue Ridge (across from then-Chapel Elementary).

Medlin's eventually became Medlin's Colonial Inn restaurant, and I imagine the house is still there. I'll Streetwalk it to be sure.

Since my access to Polk's only goes thru 1960, maybe MAD can give us a Christmas present and check 1962 et seq. However, I think the house in question was just inside the Raytown City Limits and no Polk's for Raytown for several years (I just purchased the 1974 on eBay) Independence should have, of course, the Manor Oaks listing (not doubting you, Casey, just curious how long Maris lived in Manor Oaks)
I doubt she can tell me how long Maris lived there, but I will ask my wife if she remembers. She also lived in Manor Oaks at the same time.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:06 PM

908 posts, read 724,727 times
This was the home of Roger Maris on Mar-Bec Trail.

Google Earths - Search results

Well nuts, that didn't work. Not sure how to capture the picture. If you use google earth and go to the corner of Mar-Bec Trail and Shady Bend, you will see a house sitting on the corner which each end is on one of the streets. The house to its right looking west, was the Maris home. Again, it is on the south side of the street. Looking from above, it looks much larger than neighboring homes. From the front, you can see a four car garage that is L-shaped. The exterior looks gray.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
I doubt she can tell me how long Maris lived there, but I will ask my wife if she remembers. She also lived in Manor Oaks at the same time.
Ask if she remembers when Manor Oaks was developed. I'm guessing early 60s, 62-63ish. What was there beforehand? Maybe the land of descendants of the farm family that owned the land way back, and finally decided to sell to developers?

I remember my Mom driving thru there and we marveled at the size and architecture of many of the houses.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Since we have only 6 or so "regular" posters, I am amazed at the coincidence that two of you have a connection to the most notorious femme fatale case in our beloved Independence.

I also noted that Phelps Rd played prominently in the two KC based episodes (Greenlease and Kinne) Notoriety for what was back then just a Little Ol Country Road
Tonite at 8 PM EASTERN, ID Discovery has an episode from its new 1980s: The Deadliest Decade series. Some of you might remember it, 1989 where a married KC lawyer is killed by his legal secretary (via hired guns) who had a Real Life Fatal Attraction to him.

I thought his name sounded familiar (Donald Pierce Jr.) and sure enough, he lived a floor or two above me in the dorm at MU. This must be Our Small World Week for True Crime here.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:13 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:
Tonite at 8 PM EASTERN, ID Discovery has an episode from its new 1980s: The Deadliest Decade series. Some of you might remember it, 1989 where a married KC lawyer is killed by his legal secretary (via hired guns) who had a Real Life Fatal Attraction to him.

I thought his name sounded familiar (Donald Pierce Jr.) and sure enough, he lived a floor or two above me in the dorm at MU. This must be Our Small World Week for True Crime here.
WOW! With all of your homicidal connections I think I'll stay away from you!

I'll try to remember to check on the Maris home on my next library visit, but it probably won't be until next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City