Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2017, 03:25 PM

3 posts, read 2,506 times

Advertisements

Show Victor Cascio selling Insurance on Main St in a Chinese Restaraunt in 1970.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 05:11 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times
Victor Cascio was Ben Cascio's son if I recall correctly.

He worked in the meat department of Cascio's Super Duper Market on Highway 40 beginning in 1962 and was there when I left in 1965.

I dont know when He might have left. I also do not recall a Chinese Restaurant on Main Street in 1970 but anything is possible. In 1970 I was in Viet Nam straight from three years in Germany so I could have missed that restaurant.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:39 AM

Independence becoming a wireless center?

“Independence is becoming such a “wireless” center that their operation is beginning to affect the working of the electric lights, the city council was told. The operation of wireless apparatus has a marked effect on lights which receive their current through the same transformers. The lights flicker in a manner annoying to readers. Without desiring to discourage the boys in the operation of wireless apparatus, the council decided it must stand by the interests of its light customers. The wireless stations will have to be put on separate transformers.”

The above is from The Independence Examiner of 100 years ago.

I don’t know what wireless they are talking about but it may just be lighting up some light bulbs. Seventeen years earlier Nicola Tesla in Colorado Springs had successfully turned on 200 light bulbs and started an electric motor running with a wireless transmission of electricity from 26 miles away.

The transmission effort took a great amount of energy, many times more than would be needed for wire transmission. After he ran out of money, Tesla abandoned both Colorado Springs and his project and moved to New York. Others picked up on the idea and that may be what all of this is about. At some point the concept petered out.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:10 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Independence becoming a wireless center?

“Independence is becoming such a “wireless” center that their operation is beginning to affect the working of the electric lights, the city council was told. The operation of wireless apparatus has a marked effect on lights which receive their current through the same transformers. The lights flicker in a manner annoying to readers. Without desiring to discourage the boys in the operation of wireless apparatus, the council decided it must stand by the interests of its light customers. The wireless stations will have to be put on separate transformers.”

The above is from The Independence Examiner of 100 years ago.

I don’t know what wireless they are talking about but it may just be lighting up some light bulbs. Seventeen years earlier Nicola Tesla in Colorado Springs had successfully turned on 200 light bulbs and started an electric motor running with a wireless transmission of electricity from 26 miles away.

The transmission effort took a great amount of energy, many times more than would be needed for wire transmission. After he ran out of money, Tesla abandoned both Colorado Springs and his project and moved to New York. Others picked up on the idea and that may be what all of this is about. At some point the concept petered out.
When I read that I assumed "wireless" was referring to radio transmitter/receivers, probably using Morse code. In primitive power systems the current drawn by a Morse code transmitter would cause the power for other homes on the same transformer to pulsate, causing the lights to flicker. The bursts of rapid on-off cycles of such a transmitter would cause a very annoying flicker in the lights.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:11 AM

239 posts, read 257,354 times
This is news from this week. The former Sunshine Center building (607 West Lexington, I believe) on the west side of the square has been vacant for several years. They have recently been doing some major renovations to the building and the plan was revealed. It appears they are going to put a children's museum there.
Church's popular Peace Pavilion moving to new site near Square - News - Examiner - Independence, MO

Historically, this has been the site of Kirby Bowl (briefly, in the 1940's), Moody Motors, among others.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:11 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
On the Facebook page "Independence - Then and Now," someone inquired about a small building on the south side of 24 hwy at Arlington, just west of the railroad bridge. Here's a photo: https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.net...bc&oe=591CA717

A commenter said that it was part of what used to be an old motel. Anyone remember this?
Given the likely older age group that might post on a FB group, and that Our Resident Experts have no recollection, I'm guess this would be from early 50s or 40s.

Polk's 1954 lists only residents at that intersection, with only 396 S. Arlington Mt Washington Masonic Temple, 9517 Independence Avenue Mt Washington Methodist Church'

I didn't see anything under "Hotels" (they were all on The Square) and for some reason there was no "Motels" classification.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearjas View Post
This is news from this week. The former Sunshine Center building (607 West Lexington, I believe) on the west side of the square has been vacant for several years. They have recently been doing some major renovations to the building and the plan was revealed. It appears they are going to put a children's museum there.
Church's popular Peace Pavilion moving to new site near Square - News - Examiner - Independence, MO

Historically, this has been the site of Kirby Bowl (briefly, in the 1940's), Moody Motors, among others.
I have said this before but it is wonderful re- reminicising.

Since WCHS on Maple never had a cafeteria, a group of us would literally run on Maple to the square and have lunch, then have a leisurely walk back to school on Lexington. One of the frequent stopping places on the way back was at the Moody Motors used car lot. Toward the end of 1957, I recall seeing a 1955 Desoto on the lot and we wondered why someone had traded such an upscale automobile in for a Ford, but perhaps they got a Thunderbird. But even then the Thunderbird was a $2900 car brand new in 1957.

I was working after school and on week ends and I remarked that I sure would like to come back and buy this Desoto after I turned 16 later that year. One of the guys remarked that it would unlikely be there.

The 55 Desoto ran for around $3,500 new back then compared to the Ford which started around $1700 and went to around $2200. The Desoto though, even with help from Groucho Marx, did not do well and ended production in 1960. It had been 32 years in production.

When I was sixteen I bought a 1953 Ford red convertible. It was the worst automobile I have ever owned in my life and I have had a number of them since then.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:50 PM

From the Examiner of 50 years ago:

If I am reading the 50 years ago column correctly, there used to be a hospital in Sugar Creek. It was a maternity hospital and was called Sterling Maternity Hospital so I guess it was a good bet that it was located on Sterling Avenue. It was around as late as 1956 when five babies were born the final week of that year.

The Sedalia Democrat mentions the hospital was still open in April 1957. I don’t know that we have discussed this place and I don’t have a recollection of it in my younger days.

Anyone know anything about it?

Old 01-10-2017, 08:06 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
From the Examiner of 50 years ago:

If I am reading the 50 years ago column correctly, there used to be a hospital in Sugar Creek. It was a maternity hospital and was called Sterling Maternity Hospital so I guess it was a good bet that it was located on Sterling Avenue. It was around as late as 1956 when five babies were born the final week of that year.

The Sedalia Democrat mentions the hospital was still open in April 1957. I don’t know that we have discussed this place and I don’t have a recollection of it in my younger days.

Anyone know anything about it?
This is a mystery. The 1956 directory does not show it by name, nor do I find it perusing the listings on Sterling. More digging must be done...

Old 01-10-2017, 12:38 PM

4 posts, read 4,672 times
Default slave cemetery

this is not the correct cemetery, i covered this on my facebook page several months ago, some info i provided as been quoted on her without proper acknowledgement. the cemetery was around where the sisters property is bordering chrisman high school
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City