Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2018, 05:39 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Join the crowd! Many are confused by the numerous numbering systems in Independence. The central core of Independence is numbered from the Square. Twelve blocks south of the Square was Alton. Prior to annexation by Independence most of the area outside the city limits was numbered on extensions from the Kansas City system, which starts downtown. At some point it was decided not to extend the Independence numbering any further, and all subsequent numbering outside the old limits follows the KC system.

Exceptions to the numbering system are scattered about. For instance on Trail Ridge, north of 23rd, you find that 1702 S Trail Ridge is north of 832 S Trail Ridge. These are only a block apart, but one is on the old Independence system, the other on KC. Back in my dispatching days I had memorized a number of these aberrations as part of my duties.

The worst of these are streets such as 2nd Street, which runs west of Noland just north of WCHS. It is named on the KC system, yet the houses on it are numbered on the Independence system.

I just ran across an article in The Examiner for January 3, 1963 with this headline-

"Street Numbering Goes Wild". At that time they were studying a change of the system for better uniformity. A few quotes from the article:

"Residents of Independence have long complained to city officials about the street numbering systems used here, which they have variously termed as unplanned, confusing, or hodgeppodge."

"Part of the confusion stems from the fact that at least two numbering systems are used for the city, and in some areas three or four."

"Some builders and developers have introduced their own numbering systems, and in other areas it is suspected that residents have simply picked a number out."

"Preston (the city planner) said a new street numbering system would be ready in 1963."

Postmaster Edgar Hinde said, "It would work better for us if we had our own numbering system." He added that the present system is confusing to postal employees, who sometimes can't find addresses. "We now deliver to four different sets of numbers... There are four Kendall streets, three Turner streets, a Gudgell street and a Gudgell road, and in several places duplicate addresses within blocks of each other."

The 2nd Street I mentioned came about as an attempt to remove confusion about one of the Kendalls. A couple of the "private" numbering systems were in the former Stone Arch Apartments and the Sundown Apartments. As you can tell, the new system is still not in place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 10:44 PM

908 posts, read 725,991 times
Quote:
I just ran across an article in The Examiner for January 3, 1963 with this headline-

"Street Numbering Goes Wild". At that time they were studying a change of the system for better uniformity. A few quotes from the article:

"Residents of Independence have long complained to city officials about the street numbering systems used here, which they have variously termed as unplanned, confusing, or hodgeppodge."

"Part of the confusion stems from the fact that at least two numbering systems are used for the city, and in some areas three or four."

"Some builders and developers have introduced their own numbering systems, and in other areas it is suspected that residents have simply picked a number out."

"Preston (the city planner) said a new street numbering system would be ready in 1963."

Postmaster Edgar Hinde said, "It would work better for us if we had our own numbering system." He added that the present system is confusing to postal employees, who sometimes can't find addresses. "We now deliver to four different sets of numbers... There are four Kendall streets, three Turner streets, a Gudgell street and a Gudgell road, and in several places duplicate addresses within blocks of each other."

The 2nd Street I mentioned came about as an attempt to remove confusion about one of the Kendalls. A couple of the "private" numbering systems were in the former Stone Arch Apartments and the Sundown Apartments. As you can tell, the new system is still not in place!
The year I graduated from WCHS they had the plan ready. Interesting.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:38 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Quote:
Join the crowd! Many are confused by the numerous numbering systems in Independence. The central core of Independence is numbered from the Square. Twelve blocks south of the Square was Alton. Prior to annexation by Independence most of the area outside the city limits was numbered on extensions from the Kansas City system, which starts downtown. At some point it was decided not to extend the Independence numbering any further, and all subsequent numbering outside the old limits follows the KC system.

Exceptions to the numbering system are scattered about. For instance on Trail Ridge, north of 23rd, you find that 1702 S Trail Ridge is north of 832 S Trail Ridge. These are only a block apart, but one is on the old Independence system, the other on KC. Back in my dispatching days I had memorized a number of these aberrations as part of my duties.

The worst of these are streets such as 2nd Street, which runs west of Noland just north of WCHS. It is named on the KC system, yet the houses on it are numbered on the Independence system.

Ok, let's see if I get this right. If, say, we take these addresses:

11720 E 23rd St . . . you are saying this Independence address stems from the KC addressing system. I.e., 117 blocks east of KCMO's Main Street

1020 W US 24 Highway . . . so this address is ten blocks west from some place on The Square? Like Main Street? Or is it another starting point?

What about US 24 vs Independence Ave.? I know we've had prior discussions but I'm too lazy to research them. Is the US 24 section(s) called so because that is Independence numbering, whereas IA is part of the KC system?

MERRY CHRISTMAS each and everyone.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Ok, let's see if I get this right. If, say, we take these addresses:

11720 E 23rd St . . . you are saying this Independence address stems from the KC addressing system. I.e., 117 blocks east of KCMO's Main Street

Indeed it is! Furthermore the section of 23rd St between Forest and Lee's Summit Road is named 23rd based on the KC system, yet is numbered on the Independence system.

Quote:
1020 W US 24 Highway . . . so this address is ten blocks west from some place on The Square? Like Main Street? Or is it another starting point?
Correct again, ten blocks west of Main.

Quote:
What about US 24 vs Independence Ave.? I know we've had prior discussions but I'm too lazy to research them. Is the US 24 section(s) called so because that is Independence numbering, whereas IA is part of the KC system?

MERRY CHRISTMAS each and everyone.

This one is more fun. That particular ribbon of pavement is schizophrenic! Depending on where you are along it you could call it US 24 Hiway, Independence Avenue (sometimes both), or Winner Road or US 24 Hiway (sometimes both) or just plain US 24 Hiway.

Starting from the west city limits at Blue Ridge Blvd it is both Winner Road and 24 Hiway. If'n my feeble memory is correct the street signs will show 24, but there are houses along there that are addressed as Winner. A couple of those can't be accessed or even seen from 24 Hiway. Just east of Brookside Winner Road splits off to the south, while 24 Hiway continues alone until you reach Huttig at the west end of the Fairmount Shopping District. Independence Ave runs along 24 Hiway from Fairmount all the way to Emery (east end of Chrisman Plaza). From there eastward it is just 24 Hiway.

Independence Avenue also exists in several places a few blocks north or south of 24 Hiway. When viewed on a map all the segments of Independence Ave line up, whereas both Winner Road and 24 Hiway meander.

And, finally, US 24 Hiway also has the segment within the old Independence boundaries numbered from the Square, whereas the areas east and west of those boundaries are on the KC system.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-22-2018, 08:52 AM

Indeed it is! Furthermore the section of 23rd St between Forest and Lee's Summit Road is named 23rd based on the KC system, yet is numbered on the Independence system.

Hmmmm So my "random" address just squeezed inside Forest to denote the KC numbering? WhattaCoincidence!

Ok so River is the tenth block west of Main, with 20 indicating west of River

GOTTIT

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 12-22-2018 at 09:02 AM..

Old 12-22-2018, 01:59 PM

MAD: Indeed it is! Furthermore the section of 23rd St between Forest and Lee's Summit Road is named 23rd based on the KC system, yet is numbered on the Independence system.[/i][/i][/i][/b]
[/b]
Hmmmm So my "random" address just squeezed inside Forest to denote the KC numbering? WhattaCoincidence!

Ok so River is the tenth block west of Main, with 20 indicating west of River

GOTTIT[/quote]

MAD, I think you may have gone too far West, Young Man

I looked at the businesses to the east of Forest to see their 23rd St addresses on Google. Between Forest and Park to the east is Bargain's Garage @ 11802. Then Park to Woodland is Missouri Title Loans @ 1503. Adjacent businesses reflect the same 5 or 4 digits numbering

No wonder people said they couldn't find Alton Plaza !!

Old 12-22-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
MAD: Indeed it is! ...

No wonder people said they couldn't find Alton Plaza !!

It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World!

Old 12-23-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
How appropriate!

Old 12-23-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
How many of these businesses had you heard of? Any stories connected with any of these businesses?

Old 12-23-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
How many of these businesses had you heard of? Any stories connected with any of these businesses?

Of those listed I think only five have survived. I'll let someone else figure out which they are.

I also notice several of them are on 40 Hiway. Why do some of those specify New 40 Hiway, and others don't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City