Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2018, 12:49 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Gudgell is easy. The Gudgell farm was the area east of today's Noland Road, from about the current Fair St. down to Gudgell. The Gudgell Park subdivision is another tribute to him.

It was on the Gudgell Farm that something significant to the American diet occurred.

What was that historic event?
Anxiety 4, the studliest of the Herefords
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 06:32 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
Gudgell is easy. The Gudgell farm was the area east of today's Noland Road, from about the current Fair St. down to Gudgell. The Gudgell Park subdivision is another tribute to him.

It was on the Gudgell Farm that something significant to the American diet occurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Anxiety 4, the studliest of the Herefords

Buy yourself a Double Hi-Boy! That studly Hereford is the ancestor of 99% of Herefords in America today. The Simpson & Gudgell Farm gave us great beef, and a few street names on the old farm; Hereford, Aberdeen, and Angus.

To read more about this studly dude go to https://hereford.org/static/files/0708_Legends.pdf

Old 12-09-2018, 08:25 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Quote:
Buy yourself a Double Hi-Boy! That studly Hereford is the ancestor of 99% of Herefords in America today. The Simpson & Gudgell Farm gave us great beef, and a few street names on the old farm; Hereford, Aberdeen, and Angus.

To read more about this studly dude go to https://hereford.org/static/files/0708_Legends.pdf
Truly an interesting story, changing America's appetite for fine quality steaks. I read elsewhere that Anxiety's prowess also changed the logistics of cattle farming. Herefords couldn't take the heat, drought, diseases, et al in The Great State of Texas, but could be naturally acclimated to cooler northern, eastern climates. Which meant cattle could be raised in many USA locales, thus denting the Texas to KC to Chicago route for meatpacking

I'm trying to picture that area. Where's there now, some old little houses that sprang up once the farm was sold?

God bless Anxiety! Whatta stud!!

Old 12-09-2018, 03:47 PM

908 posts, read 726,724 times
Quote:

I must be giving you ones that are just too easy; although, I have yet to see Sheley yet. How about two more? How about 23rd Street or Alton?

Old 12-09-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post

I'm trying to picture that area. Where's there now, some old little houses that sprang up once the farm was sold?

Rather appropriately the Mr. Steak Restaurant (Noland & Hereford) was on the edge of that property for many years, as was McDonalds (Noland & Aberdeen) and Jack-in-the-Box (Noland & Gudgell). Behind the businesses is a residential area.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
I must be giving you ones that are just too easy; although, I have yet to see Sheley yet. How about two more? How about 23rd Street or Alton?

I'll do the easy one first. 23rd St. is so named because it starts the 1200 block south when counted from the Square!

Old 12-10-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
I must be giving you ones that are just too easy; although, I have yet to see Sheley yet.

The Sheley boys were important men about town. Dr. O.C. Sheley healed many a resident. His brother Horace was a real estate tycoon, lawyer, and mayor of Independence. His home was southwest of town, before the Civil War, thus Sheley Road. During the war they fled the area. Upon returning they lived at 400 N Liberty for 40 years.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I'll do the easy one first. 23rd St. is so named because it starts the 1200 block south when counted from the Square!
Say what? Van Horn was 15th Street in KC. 23rd St. was 23rd Street in KC. So why the 1200 block south from the square. Color me a tad confused.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Rather appropriately the Mr. Steak Restaurant (Noland & Hereford) was on the edge of that property for many years, as was McDonalds (Noland & Aberdeen) and Jack-in-the-Box (Noland & Gudgell). Behind the businesses is a residential area.
What was the northern edge of the property?

Old 12-10-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
What was the northern edge of the property?

Gudgell owned the land, which had three parcels in 1887; 120 acres east of Noland between Gudgell and Alton, 53 acres south of Gudgell a bit east of Noland, and 120 acres adjacent to that on the east. Much of today's Golden Acres would have been on the farm, as well as part of the valley east of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City