Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2018, 01:01 PM

908 posts, read 726,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
I hope so CaseyMO! By the way, can I copy and post your comment about Kiger Farm?
Absolutely, you may. As for the photo of the pillar, I will download it from my camera and post it here. I wish I had my zoom lens on my camera, but it was home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 07:16 PM

778 posts, read 1,026,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
Absolutely, you may. As for the photo of the pillar, I will download it from my camera and post it here. I wish I had my zoom lens on my camera, but it was home.

Thanks! Of course I'll credit you with the info using CaseyMo if that's okay. Looking forward to the photo of the pillar!

Old 10-01-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Thanks! Of course I'll credit you with the info using CaseyMo if that's okay. Looking forward to the photo of the pillar!
Well, I was going to post it today, but then my cable that connects my camera to the PC is missing. I'll need to find it so I can download it. Arrrrgh!

Old 10-04-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I took a photo of it the other day. It looks far too new to be of any historical significance.
Here is the photo:

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 10-05-2018, 07:49 AM

267 posts, read 158,660 times
Quote:
Here is the photo:

[IMG][/IMG]
This suspense is killing me.............

Old 10-07-2018, 05:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,691 times
Default Enjoyed Information about Ace of Clubs

Thanks for posting all this information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Yes indeed.

The Independence Ace of Clubs baseball team was a semiprofessional team, which meant the players were paid to play but baseball was not their full time profession. I recall Clarence Heflin of C&J United Supers supermarket, elected Mo government, and Mo penal fame talking about them and I seem to have gotten an opinion that he might have played for them in his younger days.

From the Sedalia Democrat, August 1, 1940:
“The Ace of clubs baseball team of Independence with a record of 15 wins in 17 games will invade Liberty Park tonight and battle the Sedalia Merchants at 8:30 o’clock. R. J. Cooper, left fielder and manager of the visitors, is a brother to Morton Cooper, St Louis Cardinals pitcher and a brother to Walter Cooper, catcher for the Columbus club of the American Association. R. J. will join the Cardinals next season.”
[I could not find anything about R. J. Cooper and he apparently did not join the Cardinals the next season. There is no mention of him in the all-time list of St Louis Cardinals players. The Wikipedia web information for Mort and Walker Cooper mention that each had only one brother.]

THE ATCHISON DAILY GLOBE Atchison, Kansas, Monday, August 16, 1948.
“Colts Upset Ace of Clubs Local Nine In Rousing 8-5 Victory. The Atchison Colts baseball team added another victory to their season's record last night as they rapped Joe Mallot and the Ace of Clubs of Independence, Mo., 8 to 5 at Amelia Earhart stadium.”

Inter-City News, October 2014
[Looks like the Inter-City News has been resurrected as an online publication serving “Fairmount, Mt Washington, Maywood, Englewood, Sugar Creek and More!”]
A look back at 1947: “The Sugar Creek Merchants, a semi-pro baseball team, represented the town in the Blue Valley league. They finished third in the State tournament. On June 15 the hated “Ace of Clubs” from Independence came to town confident of a win they didn’t get. John Yuhas was too much for the Aces.”

Old 10-09-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrenshaw View Post
Thanks for posting all this information.
Cliff, that is one of the great things about WCHS 59. It's a shame that he passed away a couple of months ago.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:18 PM

Sorry! I just had to do it.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:02 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
Sorry! I just had to do it.

They sound better if you dip them in chocolate!

Old 10-18-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
They sound better if you dip them in chocolate!
Well, there you go. I learned something new today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City