Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 12:05 PM

908 posts, read 726,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I was hoping someone else would know, but since they are shy I'll fill in some info.

David Waldo was a doctor, freighter, and general all-around capitalist. He owned massive amounts of land in Jackson County; one chunk is now bounded by 63rd to 77th, Wornall to Troost in KC; another is now known as Lake City Ammunition Plant. He had a rather stately home on a 20 acre tract at what would be 1018 W. Waldo today (razed in 1941).

Crysler later, if no one else jumps in.
Fascinating! I knew you could do it.

Now, I am going to eat lunch, and then go for a drive to photo a few sites of the newer Independence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
Fascinating! I knew you could do it.

Now, I am going to eat lunch, and then go for a drive to photo a few sites of the newer Independence.
I have taken about 50 plus photos today; however, I will not share all, but probably most.

We are going to take a drive around Southeastern Independence starting at 43rd and Lee's Summit Road to Bass Pro Lane to the park & lake, and then drive around the south side of the lake to the east side and then north side. There will be more after this. The area covered in this first part will be the Bass Pro area on the south side of I-70 and on the west side of 291 (also I-470), with 40 highway on the south and Lee's Summit Rd on the west. Here we go.

First are three pictures of an area primarily for young senior citizens. I am 73, if that gives you any idea.
These pictures are the sign and two of the buildings on the land. Then a shot looking south down Lee's Summit Road. The lights at the bottom of the hill are at Bass Pro Lane and at the top of the hill is 40 Hiway. Adair Park is on the right. It has been developed into many diamonds and girls play softball games there.

Last edited by CaseyMO; 12-04-2018 at 03:57 PM..

Old 12-04-2018, 03:27 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,259,556 times
A place for young senior citizens? Do they also have a place for old senior citizens?

That doesn't look like the Lees Summit I knew but I don't think I ever went down it south of 39th. At one time the car dealers (farther north) were wanting the median strip removed so customers could cut from one side to another. That was a good safety stop when needed. This was worrisome to people having to walk across Lees Summit. Did they ever remove the median? Seems maybe they did just before I left.

Lovely pictures. Thank you very much.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
...go for a drive to photo a few sites of the newer Independence.
To continue...

Old 12-04-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
A place for young senior citizens? Do they also have a place for old senior citizens?

That doesn't look like the Lees Summit I knew but I don't think I ever went down it south of 39th. At one time the car dealers (farther north) were wanting the median strip removed so customers could cut from one side to another. That was a good safety stop when needed. This was worrisome to people having to walk across Lees Summit. Did they ever remove the median? Seems maybe they did just before I left.

Lovely pictures. Thank you very much.
We have a resident here that is 100 plus. We are sort of on the younger side. These are not rentals. One has to buy a unit. There is one for sale right now just down the street from us.

As for Lee's Summit, it did not look like this until around the late 1970s when they widened Lee's Summit, changed the name north of 23rd from South Kiger to Lee's Summit and ran the road all the way to Hiway 24.

The car dealers were and are on Noland. I think some of the medians are still there.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:01 PM

Continuing...

Old 12-05-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
We have a resident here that is 100 plus. We are sort of on the younger side. These are not rentals. One has to buy a unit. There is one for sale right now just down the street from us.

As for Lee's Summit, it did not look like this until around the late 1970s when they widened Lee's Summit, changed the name north of 23rd from South Kiger to Lee's Summit and ran the road all the way to Hiway 24.

The car dealers were and are on Noland. I think some of the medians are still there.

I misplaced the car dealers? Oops. When I first moved to Independence I lived just north of Hwy 24 on Noland. Every Sunday morning, I walked all the way south to --- Walgreens? --- at 39th Street to get a New York Times. Really enjoyed that walk. Now one mile is enough. Two? I'd be desperate.

No, not Walgreens. What was it? Northwest corner.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:46 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I misplaced the car dealers? Oops. When I first moved to Independence I lived just north of Hwy 24 on Noland. Every Sunday morning, I walked all the way south to --- Walgreens? --- at 39th Street to get a New York Times. Really enjoyed that walk. Now one mile is enough. Two? I'd be desperate.

No, not Walgreens. What was it? Northwest corner.

Depending on the year that would have been Skagg's or Osco Drugs. Today it is a thrift store.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:52 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
That's bad. I thought you had a great investigator who could provide answers to such questions. Besides, Maple may not have been Maple when Crysler and Waldo were graded.

Crysler was named for an early postmaster in Independence, Cornell Crysler. He obtained that job via politically connected friends he had back east, who went to President Rutherford B. Hayes and put in the word for him.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Depending on the year that would have been Skagg's or Osco Drugs. Today it is a thrift store.

Osco, yes. There was a long chain of name changes in that line.

Thrift store? The drug store is gone? Some time back there were two drug stores across the street from each other. Then I read a news item about a third coming in on another opposite corner. The article was wondering if each corner would have a drug store. Wasn't there an ice cream parlor on the southwest, maybe not quite the corner?

I remember a hotel in that area. Think it was south of 39th. What I remember about it was a long, long hallway between the office and the rooms. I was there winter-time and that hall was not heated. Brrrr. Now I live in an apartment building where the halls are neither heated nor air-conditioned. I can live with the "no AC" but cold halls when you have to go up and down stairs to laundry rooms and mail boxes?

Well, at least the mail boxes are indoors. So, back to the hotel. It was a nice place. Just had a very cold hallway. I don't think it was on Noland but maybe nearby. Almost sure it was south of 39th.

Is The Examiner still being published? Without Audrey and her demands that words be spelled correctly and sentences be grammatically correct? The first day an issue without her came out, I knew it! Good little paper, though. I did subscribe to it for a while after I moved.

Memories! They fade with time. :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City