Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2018, 11:15 AM

908 posts, read 725,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Of those listed I think only five have survived. I'll let someone else figure out which they are.

I also notice several of them are on 40 Hiway. Why do some of those specify New 40 Hiway, and others don't?
I have not revisited the list to see which ones have survived; however, I think I know the answer to your second brain teaser. Old US 40 used to run a route equal to 47th Street which was south of the New 40 Hiway. Obviously, New 40 was built much later. I am thinking it must have been late 40s or very early 50s when New 40 was built. Got a date Mad Man?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 11:43 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
I have not revisited the list to see which ones have survived; however, I think I know the answer to your second brain teaser. Old US 40 used to run a route equal to 47th Street which was south of the New 40 Hiway. Obviously, New 40 was built much later. I am thinking it must have been late 40s or very early 50s when New 40 was built. Got a date Mad Man?

My sources indicate the "new" route opened about 1933!

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-24-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
My sources indicate the "new" route opened about 1933!

Merry Christmas!
Well humbug! I only missed it by a decade or two. Harumph!

Merry Christmas to you Mad Man. Want to take another trip this Spring to the creek again?

Old 12-25-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
How many of these businesses had you heard of? Any stories connected with any of these businesses?
I can name four of the five, but don't recognize any of the others as still exiting. Plus, I have a sweet story that did not end well, but I had a part in it. The four businesses I know that are still open are:

A&M Cleaners
Englewood Cafe
Matzl Radiator Service
Speaks Funeral Home.

During my Junior year in high school at WCHS, I met a young man who became a friend of mine and he was in the same grade. One day, another friend of mine, Patsy Matzl, approached me and asked me if I would introduce her to my friend. I said certainly and I did. She was from the class of 1962, while my friend and I were in the class of 1963. They ended up getting married and were married quite a few years, but something caused them to split and they divorced. Both remarried and I wish I could say they all lived happily ever after, but they didn't. Cancer grabbed Patsy and took her life. I never saw either one of these people since our high school days. Patsy was a lovely person inside and out. Her passing happened quite a few years ago.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:48 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Quote:
How many of these businesses had you heard of? Any stories connected with any of these businesses?
Ahhh, many fond memories

Gateway, my 3&2 Baseball sponsor

The Late Greg Rodekopf was a youth bowling colleague at Strike n Spare

I think it was Irwin Fender who quite the attractive daughter my age

Jenkins, to my dismay, never bought that Gibson Cherry Red guitar that used to hand on the pegboard

I recognize about half the others . . . Green Crest, Slover's, EBB (who doesn't). Lambert, Jerry's, Jennings, Lynch's Standard, Vollmer, Englewood, Plaza . . . more

Old 12-26-2018, 09:50 AM

[quote=Mad Anthonie;53963876]Of those listed I think only five have survived. I'll let someone else figure out which they are.

I also notice several of them are on 40 Hiway. Why do some of those specify New 40 Hiway, and others don't?[/QUOT

I was going to guess the two funeral homes, Gas Service Co . . .

Agree on 47th being part of "Old" 40

Old 12-26-2018, 06:37 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:
The four businesses I know that are still open are:

A&M Cleaners
Englewood Cafe
Matzl Radiator Service
Speaks Funeral Home.

I'm not familiar with Matzl, so I'll trust you on that one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post

I was going to guess the two funeral homes, Gas Service Co . . .

Agree on 47th being part of "Old" 40

Ott & Mitchell was absorbed by a national chain, their only remnant is the Noland Road Chapel.
Gas Service Company has changed hands several times, and is now Spire Gas.

47th is still old, but no longer Alternate 40 Hiway.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Ahhh, many fond memories

Gateway, my 3&2 Baseball sponsor

The Late Greg Rodekopf was a youth bowling colleague at Strike n Spare

I think it was Irwin Fender who quite the attractive daughter my age

Jenkins, to my dismay, never bought that Gibson Cherry Red guitar that used to hand on the pegboard

I recognize about half the others . . . Green Crest, Slover's, EBB (who doesn't). Lambert, Jerry's, Jennings, Lynch's Standard, Vollmer, Englewood, Plaza . . . more
Gateway sponsored a Kiwanis team that replaced Latimer Motors. My brother played for Latimer and I played 3 years for Gateway, before switching to Cable Chevrolet team. Nothing like being a young teen and playing ball at Crysler Stadium.

I was friends with Paul Fender, Irwin's son. He had a younger brother and he may have had a sister; however, I don't remember her. The younger brother died several years ago and Paul died about a year ago. Their mother is still alive and still lives on Waldo.

Green Crest was owned by the Schooler's. Mrs. Schooler graduated from WCHS in 1963 with me.

I went through grade school at Benton through WCHS with Paula Mitchell, daughter of the funeral home.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:00 AM

Gateway sponsored a Kiwanis team that replaced Latimer Motors. My brother played for Latimer and I played 3 years for Gateway, before switching to Cable Chevrolet team. Nothing like being a young teen and playing ball at Crysler Stadium.

If I knew GW also sponsored Kiwanis, I sure have forgotten. Since Crysler was a short walk from Alton Plaza, I watched many a Kiwanis game there. And from our house, Raytown Park (now Colman-Livengood Park) was just half a mile walk away. Always night and weekend 3&2 and Raytown Little League games there.

Yes, fond memories indeed

Old 12-28-2018, 07:44 PM

Default Gateway

Quote:

If I knew GW also sponsored Kiwanis, I sure have forgotten. Since Crysler was a short walk from Alton Plaza, I watched many a Kiwanis game there. And from our house, Raytown Park (now Colman-Livengood Park) was just half a mile walk away. Always night and weekend 3&2 and Raytown Little League games there.

Yes, fond memories indeed
I played for Gateway when I was 12 to 14, so that makes it 1957 to 1959. I am not sure how long they sponsored a Kiwanis team. My brother turned 15, which was the last year one could play Kiwanis ball and he played the last year of Latimer in 1956. He then went on to Legion ball. When I completed my years in Kiwanis, I went to 3 & 2 for one year and then stopped playing so I could earn money to buy gas and other things.

Since we lived on Trail Ridge which was way east of the stadium and in the county until 1960, I did not get to go to many games where I was not playing. I have thought the past several summers that I would go down and watch some games, but never have. I may need to do that this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City