Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 08:32 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
That is not the one on 23rd Street I dont think, but I cannot seem to place where Jon's was located.

23rd St is still around . . . at Leslie....I think it is called "Bill & Ann's" and is the last Mugs Up left. You can special order seasoning etc. on their website for your own homemade Zipburgers, along with Mugs Up memorabilia

The one on 24 was at 11330 W. Independence Avenue...it sat on the hill between Sterling Bowl and Queen City Courts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 08:45 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
23rd St is still around . . . at Leslie....I think it is called "Bill & Ann's"

The one on 24 was at 11330 W. Independence Avenue...it sat on the top of the hill as you went westward towards Sterling Bowl.
That one came in sometime around 1955 or a couple years later. Some of us guys went there mainly to see the car hops come out and wait on us.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:41 PM

778 posts, read 1,026,318 times
Quote:
That is not the one on 23rd Street I dont think, but I cannot seem to place where Jon's was located.
This is the one on the northeast corner of 23rd and Leslie, five blocks east of Noland. It has been owned by Bill and Ann Kendall since 1956. The building was turned 90 degrees to the east to make room for the widening of 23rd to four lanes.

Mugs Up Drive In - Independence, MO - Burger Restaurant, Fast Food Restaurant - About | Facebook

Mugs Up Drive In

Old 11-15-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
23rd St is still around . . . at Leslie....I think it is called "Bill & Ann's" and is the last Mugs Up left. You can special order seasoning etc. on their website for your own homemade Zipburgers, along with Mugs Up memorabilia

The one on 24 was at 11330 W. Independence Avenue...it sat on the hill between Sterling Bowl and Queen City Courts
There was one in Kansas City on Independence Ave and Winner, west of the old Sheffield Steel. I think it was on the northwest corner. Also, there was one in Raytown, (where the man that created Mugs Up was from) at old Raytown Rd and 63rd St. There were nine in the K.C. area, at one point.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:

Thanks, MRG! I forgot about THAT one!

Old 11-15-2012, 10:10 PM

While we're on the subject of Mugs Up, Ann Kendall, one of the owner's, also operates THE Detour Coffee Shop, next door to the Englewood theater.

Detour Coffee Shop - Independence, MO - Diner, Hot Dog Joint - About | Facebook

Old 11-16-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
This is the one on the northeast corner of 23rd and Leslie, five blocks east of Noland. It has been owned by Bill and Ann Kendall since 1956. The building was turned 90 degrees to the east to make room for the widening of 23rd to four lanes.

Turned 90 degrees. You know every time I would go by there and take notice of that place something seemed a little different but I never gave it much thought.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:38 AM

Getting back to the Electric Theater.

When Sally gets back someone should think to remind her of the photo on page 156.

The Electric Theater is one of the places she asked about when she originally started this thread.

She would probably be thrilled to see it.

Silver Doc. Do you know what year that photo was taken?

Old 11-16-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Getting back to the Electric Theater.

When Sally gets back someone should think to remind her of the photo on page 156.

The Electric Theater is one of the places she asked about when she originally started this thread.

She would probably be thrilled to see it.

Silver Doc. Do you know what year that photo was taken?

Sorry, but I'm not sure just when it was taken. My sources do say though, that it's the Plaza Theater at 119 W. Lexington. Maybe someone can confirm that?

Old 11-16-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Sorry, but I'm not sure just when it was taken. My sources do say though, that it's the Plaza Theater at 119 W. Lexington. Maybe someone can confirm that?

It is not the Plaza.
The Plaza had a small sweet shop entrance to the left of the building as you faced it.

If you have a photo of the current Knitcraft building, or even Sudora's, the building is one and the same except for some updated treatments on the first floor doing away with the entry and exit doors.
The fancy treatment immediately above the windows on the second floor is a giveaway. The fancy treatment along the roof line is the same also. Looking close at the Knitcraft building one can see the small square windows above the entry and exit doors in the photo have been covered over with brick.

Additionally, the photo shows a curb cut in the lower left where the parking meter is. That is the alley exit onto Main Street between Maple and Truman. There would be no similar curb cut across from the Plaza because of the courthouse.

Also, the parking is parallel in the photo. The parking on Lexington was angled.

The only thing that does not match is that there appears to be a vacant lot to the right of the building. The only thing I could add would be that the building holding Gateway Sporting Goods and another shop was built after this photo was taken. That building is one story suggesting there might have been a fire.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 11-16-2012 at 10:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City