Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 11:44 AM

778 posts, read 1,023,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
How about a relatively easy mystery photo? This one was taken in 1988.

Truman Rd. just west of Forest. You can just make out Milk Jug on the right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 11:47 AM

I know the guy that helped construct this sign. He was my neighbor years back
Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-milk-jug-sign-truman-road.jpg  

Old 11-18-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post

There was another Milk Jug out in my neck of the woods on Bundshu, just east of the old skating rink.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:32 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I was, more or less, out of my drive in days when this place opened, but recall going there one time.

What was amazing to me was that you could be sitting there watching the movie but could turn around and look back and have a good view of what was going on with the other screen.
Yeah I remember watching one movie then turning around to see Raquel Welch in One Million Years BC in that short animal skin outfit

Old 11-18-2012, 04:54 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:
Truman Rd. just west of Forest. You can just make out Milk Jug on the right.
Right you are! Further down the road you can see George's Drive-In.

Quote:
There was another Milk Jug out in my neck of the woods on Bundshu, just east of the old skating rink.
A third Milk Jug was on 23rd just east of Noland. That building is still there, currently serving as a meat market.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Right you are! Further down the road you can see George's Drive-In.

A third Milk Jug was on 23rd just east of Noland. That building is still there, currently serving as a meat market.
What was your vantage point to be so high up and able to view Truman that far west?

I don't remember Truman dropping off that much . . . of course, I haven't been that way since before the photo!

Old 11-18-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
What was your vantage point to be so high up and able to view Truman that far west?

I don't remember Truman dropping off that much . . . of course, I haven't been that way since before the photo!

Yep! It's hard to imagine Truman making that big of drop, but if I was to guess, he took the picture either just east of Forest, or from the corner of Forest and Truman, PLUS, the zoom would exaggerate the slope.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:

So was the Milk Jug like a mini-grocery/convenience store? I'm sure we drove by the one on Truman numerous times but then again . . . well, you know lol.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:14 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:

I was way way way up, in the driver's seat of my van, parked along Truman Road at Woodland (across from the original San). Truman Road does have quite a drop, but the zoom lense makes it look much steeper than reality. My target was actually downtown KC. Twice a year for several weeks the rising sun aligns such that the buildings take on an orange glow. Later I did get a much better view of that scene from high atop... well, y'all can guess where I took this from!

Quote:
So was the Milk Jug like a mini-grocery/convenience store? I'm sure we drove by the one on Truman numerous times but then again . . . well, you know lol.
It was indeed, although in the mid to late 1970s we referred to it as Rob'n'go, due to the number of armed robberies they suffered.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:16 PM

[quote=Mad Anthonie;27016197]I was way way way up, in the driver's seat of my van, parked along Truman Road at Woodland (across from the original San). Truman Road does have quite a drop, but the zoom lense makes it look much steeper than reality. My target was actually downtown KC. Twice a year for several weeks the rising sun aligns such that the buildings take on an orange glow. Later I did get a much better view of that scene from high atop... well, y'all can guess where I took this from!

Atop 435, looking westbound?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City