Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2012, 06:31 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
"Here is an easy mystery. What is in this photo? Extra points for guessing where I was when I took it. This is from about 1973."

Ok, trees, snow, water tower, houses . . .

Mills? Hickman Mills? General Mills? Mills Creek Park?

I give up . .
I'll narrow it down for you. Independence, old Independence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 09:43 AM

2,372 posts, read 2,760,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I'll narrow it down for you. Independence, old Independence.

Ok I guess the Waggoner-Gates property(ties) and given the water tower (which I will presume at 24/Noland area), you are standing on the top row of Crysler Stadium, even if it was in the dead of winter

Old 11-25-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Ok I guess the Waggoner-Gates property(ties) and given the water tower (which I will presume at 24/Noland area), you are standing on the top row of Crysler Stadium, even if it was in the dead of winter
Right property, wrong water tower and shooting location. The main house of the estate is mostly hidden, but the carriage house and other outbuildings are visible. The old mill is just below the estate in the photo.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:53 PM

2,372 posts, read 2,760,889 times
Quote:
Right property, wrong water tower and shooting location. The main house of the estate is mostly hidden, but the carriage house and other outbuildings are visible. The old mill is just below the estate in the photo.

Ok MA, I'm pretty much stumped. It does look like your shooting E/NE but I can't figure out your vantage point. If not Crysler Stadium, and it can't be the high dive at The Natatorium, long gone and not in season anyway! sooooooooo . . . .

Elephino.

The RR overpass on Crysler, just north of 23rd?

I give.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Ok MA, I'm pretty much stumped. It does look like your shooting E/NE but I can't figure out your vantage point. If not Crysler Stadium, and it can't be the high dive at The Natatorium, long gone and not in season anyway! sooooooooo . . . .

Elephino.

The RR overpass on Crysler, just north of 23rd?

I give.
Close, but not close enough. The photo was taken looking SSE from the 8th floor of the Pleasant Heights Apartments, 210 S. Pleasant. The water tower is on Dodgion just south of Gudgell.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:31 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,325 times
Quote:
Doc, I know you're out for the Holiday but I'm curious where you got these numbers. Playing around on Google Earth, I stopped at my grade school Blue Ridge Elemetary (63rd/BR Cutoff) and the elevation right in front of the school is 1052.

BTW, I had to look up the familiar names like Ridgewood and Blue-Vue even though I lived many years in that vicinity. B-V is where the old A&P was (the one I asked you, WCHS about), across from Sheil Funeral Home, and Ridgewood looks to be where the Cadillac dealer that Anthonie said was going out of business (east adjacent to the BR Mall). Little did I know that part of the county had the highest points.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, and Sally, please come back!

I got my info here:

Free Jackson County, Missouri Topographic Maps

Old 11-28-2012, 01:34 PM

[quote=Mad Anthonie;27041654][quote=SilverDoc;27037428]
Quote:
My earlier shots, way back in this thread, were taken with my trusty Kodak Brownie Hawkeye. Later I moved up to the Jiffy Kodak Six-10. Eventually I made it up to 35mm.

That would make it easier to find in the days before GPS! Another factor was the availability of fresh water from several nearby springs. The best known is just east of Truman and Noland, near the Sermon Center. Another was on Spring Street (imagine that!) near the Bingham/Waggoner estate. I think there was also one near the current McCoy Park.

And don't forget the one Polly's Pop drew their water from!

Old 11-28-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas City kid View Post
Nd his partner Ed Gilmore owned the place plus Mark 90 and Candy Stripet off 24

The GP was located on Truman and River and Polly Park was on the backside of the restuaraunt. The shed on the left of the establishment is where we made our famous onion rings, the old man, Burl Sherwood, my father insisted that they be double dipped in batter. My Grandfather Clarence Gordan and his partner Ed Gilmore owned the joint plus 2 others; Mark 90 and the Candy Striper. My father eventually took it over in 1978 and closed it in 1985. At first the old joint wad extremilt profitable, however during the Carter recession and the limitations of not being able build a drive thru proved to be the demise of the old place. My family enjoyed our time working in the restaurant. Josephine and Mary worked in their and where like family. Josepines daughter eventually opened her own place, "Rosies, it is on 40 and still there today.

Welcome Kansas City Kid! I'm sure you've got more to share!

Old 11-29-2012, 09:56 AM

I'm BACK!!
Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-chutes-menu.jpg  

Old 11-29-2012, 01:38 PM

How about this?:
Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-velvet-freeze-sign.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City