Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2013, 09:36 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Found it!

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=64058...64058&t=h&z=21

Just did a satellite view of 64058 and on a hunch started zooming in on properties that has a lot of land around them.

I dunno why the auto-linker isn't working. I'm new here...

17510 E Kentucky Rd, Independence, MO

More info:
300-acre farm located on Section 19, Township 50, Range 31 (at 17510 E. Kentucky Rd, Independence). Swope lost the farm in the Great Depression, and it became the Cedarcrest Farms for dairying activities. Mr. and Mrs. Edward Watson owned and operated Cedarcrest for many years.

Actually the auto-link does show up on subsequent replies, so maybe it just doesn't appear to link as we place it into our own messages . .but anyway

Well, I can't say I've been specifically in that part of the County, altho I did note the Twin Drive In was not too far away. And there were the trips to Wm Jewell with my buddy who was enrolling there. I would always take 291 South or KY west on the way back and probably never ventured to the east. While trying to unravel this mystery however, I did investigate Battle of Blue Mills Landing, the golf course, even the House of Prayer to the NW. So definitely stumped (as usual) on this one.

EDIT: Just curious what high school that area encompasses: Ft Osage, Van Horn, WC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 09:42 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,768,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Actually the auto-link does show up on subsequent replies, so maybe it just doesn't appear to link as we place it into our own messages . .but anyway

Well, I can't say I've been specifically in that part of the County, altho I did note the Twin Drive In was not too far away. And there were the trips to Wm Jewell with my buddy who was enrolling there. I would always take 291 South or KY west on the way back and probably never ventured to the east. While trying to unravel this mystery however, I did investigate Battle of Blue Mills Landing, the golf course, even the House of Prayer to the NW. So definitely stumped (as usual) on this one.

EDIT: Just curious what high school that area encompasses: Ft Osage, Van Horn, WC?
I was stumped also. When I lived in Fairmount I would take that portion of Kentucky quite frequently.

Does anyone remember a slaughter house in that area many moons ago?

That area is in the Fort Osage School District.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:12 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,019 times

[/quote]

Understandable given the subdivisions to the south and east of the Mystery House, yet it is equi-distant to both WCHS and Ft O HS. 2 miles further to Van Horn.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post

Understandable given the subdivisions to the south and east of the Mystery House, yet it is equi-distant to both WCHS and Ft O HS. 2 miles further to Van Horn.[/quote]

In land area, both Fort Osage and Blue Springs school districts appear to be larger than the Independence School District (even with the former Kansas City district to the west annexed in 2008)

Old 04-13-2013, 09:05 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

Does anyone remember a slaughter house in that area many moons ago?
I don't, but it was outside my normal area. I do remember drinking Cedarcrest Milk at school.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I don't, but it was outside my normal area. I do remember drinking Cedarcrest Milk at school.
It was a horse slaughterhouse, or at least part of their crop was horses. I accompanied the rest of the family there to pick up some dog food. Apparently they sold ground up horse over the counter cheaper than what regular dog food cost. My dad had a bunch of hunting dogs.

My dad had a '49 Ford at the time that he purchased in '51 and traded in '54. So it would have been within that time frame.

My mother complained about being there but we were on a family outing and were in the area. The cost of gas being 20 cents a gallon or so meant that my dad would have to have made another expensive trip to pick it up himself. That area of Kentucky was about five miles from our house.

I did not want to be there and I remember sitting in the back seat of the car and feeling very scared as to what was going on inside that building (a huge wood barn). I had been told at school that a guy stood above each animal and slung a sledge hammer down to the head of each animal, then another person slit its throat.

The best I can recall is that it was on Kentucky Road in that area.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
It was a horse slaughterhouse, or at least part of their crop was horses. I accompanied the rest of the family there to pick up some dog food. Apparently they sold ground up horse over the counter cheaper than what regular dog food cost. My dad had a bunch of hunting dogs.

My dad had a '49 Ford at the time that he purchased in '51 and traded in '54. So it would have been within that time frame.

My mother complained about being there but we were on a family outing and were in the area. The cost of gas being 20 cents a gallon or so meant that my dad would have to have made another expensive trip to pick it up himself. That area of Kentucky was about five miles from our house.

I did not want to be there and I remember sitting in the back seat of the car and feeling very scared as to what was going on inside that building (a huge wood barn). I had been told at school that a guy stood above each animal and slung a sledge hammer down to the head of each animal, then another person slit its throat.

The best I can recall is that it was on Kentucky Road in that area.

That puts it a bit before my time. Perhaps Doc remembers it, since he was based on the east side.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:17 PM

I am going to begin posting some historical photos from my Independence Police Department collection, mainly concerning their vehicles. Here is the oldest, do any of you remember this?

Old 04-14-2013, 12:27 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,730 times
Great photo! More please!

Old 04-14-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I am going to begin posting some historical photos from my Independence Police Department collection, mainly concerning their vehicles. Here is the oldest, do any of you remember this?
No, but I remember 1949 all black four door Fords with white lettering and and a single red light on the top, perhaps in a chrome housing.

The siren may have been part of the red light assembly or may have been under the hood. There was something about those sirens getting water in them and freezing up during the winter to a point where they could not work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City