Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 03:30 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
The first shot was from Truman & Main, looking east. The telephoto lens compressed things, making it appear that I was east a bit. The second shot is looking west from Truman & Memorial Drive. Along the right side is the old junkyard we had talked about way back on page xx. At the time this was taken the Japanese name had not yet been given to the little street that runs to City Hall.

Mad, I'm pretty sure the scrap yard (Marcus?)was on the north side of Truman and just west of old Noland. In your first picture what appears to be the junk yard, is just the rear of a city building (street maintenance?) that appears to now be a parking lot. In your second, the green fence on the right (north) along Truman, is where the scrap yard was.

Last edited by SilverDoc; 01-04-2013 at 03:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I'm going to say I think you are wrong! I'll even bet all of Silver Doc's money that the tower pictured still exists today.
Whew! Good things you're right, if he won it wouldn't be get much, because I'm a poor man!

Old 01-04-2013, 03:41 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Yeah you tricked us, that pic looked way out in the eastern sticks, not right off The Square. A junkyard there in 1988? Hard to imagine, I would think zoning would not have something like that so close to the business district. But then again, there are the same entities/genuises that thought "urban renewal" was a good thing.
That junk yard was there in the forties on the north side of Truman and west of Noland when I was a kid. It was an eyesore. I think that green fence covering was added in 1965 during Lucy Bird Johnson's effort to beautify America by hiding junk yards. They even had a big crane that lifted metal junk from one place to another. No rails in that immediate area, so everything must have come in and out by truck.

Whenever it began operating there was probably not much of a zoning situation.

Now I am wondering if the old junk yard might have started during WWII to support the scrap metal effort.

In the forties and early fifties, there was a guy who came by the house on a regular basis driving a horse and wagon. He would go door to door asking if anyone had any scrap metal or old appliances they wanted to get rid of--he would take it off your hands for free. I suspect he must have taken it up to that old junk yard and sold it.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
That junk yard was there in the forties on the north side of Truman and west of Noland when I was a kid. It was an eyesore. I think that green fence covering was added in 1965 during Lucy Bird Johnson's effort to beautify America by hiding junk yards. They even had a big crane that lifted metal junk from one place to another. No rails in that immediate area, so everything must have come in and out by truck.

Now I am wondering if the old junk yard might have started during WWII to support the scrap metal effort.

In the forties and early fifties, there was a guy who came by the house on a regular basis driving a horse and wagon. He would go door to door asking if anyone had any scrap metal or old appliances they wanted to get rid of--he would take it off your hands for free. I suspect he must have taken it up to that old junk yard and sold it.
One thing I always thought was interesting, was the fact that in some cases, a part of the scrap collected in the scrap drive was never used. BUT...it did make people happy to have had a part in helping the war effort.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:

It did not happen every day or every week but it was not an uncommon sight to see horses and wagons on city streets through the mid fifties. When a team was coming down the street, the neighborhood kids in our area would always congregate just to look at the horses.

Across the street from our house was a vacant lot owned by the family living on the next street over whose house backed on to the vacant lot. They owned the lot and they planted a garden in that entire lot every year. Every spring a man would drive a team of horses pulling a wagon holding a sit down gang plow and he would plow the lot. It was always a treat for us to watch.

Next door to us was a man who owned four lots facing on the street behind us. He had a huge garden spread over those lots. He was retired and I never saw him bring in a team of horses to plow. But every day during growing season he was out there with a push cultivator. Eventually he bought a gas powered cultivator. His entire garden was fenced in but area kids would climb over the fence and steal his water melons.

All the vacant lots in the old neighborhood now have houses on them.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 01-04-2013 at 06:08 PM..

Old 01-04-2013, 06:08 PM

We had an instance happen right after we moved into our house in the late forties. A man and a woman came down the street one summer day with the man walking and leading the reins of two saddled horses. He was going door to door asking if anyone wanted to have their children's pictures taken on the horses. He had convinced one mother to alert all the other houses on the street. Almost all, if not all, mothers were at home during the day back then. The couple were elderly and the woman was silver haired and driving an old coupe.

Turned out he had two cowboy hats and two western vests and an old style tripod camera with a black hood. For $1, a kid could have his picture taken in a cowboy hat and vest while sitting on one of the saddle horses. A number of kids and female parents gathered around and all had pictures taken. The idea was that you pay the $1 and the guy took the photography plates to his home and then mailed the photos. After he finished with our block he hit the next block.

My mother gave the man two $1 bills and my sister and I were photoed on two horses standing next to each other. That $1 bill is probably worth $10 today.

Kids being kids, we soon forgot about the pictures. But several months later when I thought to ask my mother about the photos she said they never heard back from the man. Neither did the neighbors.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
We had an instance happen right after we moved into our house in the late forties. A man and a woman came down the street one summer day with the man walking and leading the reins of two saddled horses. He was going door to door asking if anyone wanted to have their children's pictures taken on the horses. He had convinced one mother to alert all the other houses on the street. Almost all, if not all, mothers were at home during the day back then. The couple were elderly and the woman was silver haired and driving an old coupe.

Turned out he had two cowboy hats and two western vests and an old style tripod camera with a black hood. For $1, a kid could have his picture taken in a cowboy hat and vest while sitting on one of the saddle horses. A number of kids and female parents gathered around and all had pictures taken. The idea was that you pay the $1 and the guy took the photography plates to his home and then mailed the photos. After he finished with our block he hit the next block.

My mother gave the man two $1 bills and my sister and I were photoed on two horses standing next to each other. That $1 bill is probably worth $10 today.

Kids being kids, we soon forgot about the pictures. But several months later when I thought to ask my mother about the photos she said they never heard back from the man. Neither did the neighbors.
Back in the early 70's, my Mom saw an ad in a magazine for LED watches for $10 dollars (not sure of the actual price) and bought my Dad, Brother, and myself one for Christmas. Well, she sent off her check, anyway, since we never got our watches because the company went out of business or some such thing, BUT, my Mom was lucky and was refunded the full amount of purchase. The price she paid was considerably less than what the watches were going for at the time, and she was a bit more naive back then. Needless to say, she learned her lesson. If it sounds too good to be true.....

Old 01-04-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Yeah you tricked us, that pic looked way out in the eastern sticks, not right off The Square. A junkyard there in 1988? Hard to imagine, I would think zoning would not have something like that so close to the business district. But then again, there are the same entities/genuises that thought "urban renewal" was a good thing.

Not really a trick since the shot was taken a block or so off of Main street. Of course the zoom shot threw me a bit!

Old 01-05-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Back in the early 70's, my Mom saw an ad in a magazine for LED watches for $10 dollars (not sure of the actual price) and bought my Dad, Brother, and myself one for Christmas. Well, she sent off her check, anyway, since we never got our watches because the company went out of business or some such thing, BUT, my Mom was lucky and was refunded the full amount of purchase. The price she paid was considerably less than what the watches were going for at the time, and she was a bit more naive back then. Needless to say, she learned her lesson. If it sounds too good to be true.....
I recall people using those LED digital watches. I wanted one until I learned that they had to be kept turned off or the battery would run down fast. With it turned off, there was just a black watch face. Every time a coworker looked at his watch to see what time it was he had to use his other hand to switch the watch on, look at the time, and then switch it off. Clock watchers were doing that all the time. For some reason, the time was always displayed in red against the black background-perhaps red was the only color in LED at the time.

I decided that way of telling time was rather senseless and did not get one. But, as soon as the LCD digital watches came out I selected one with 24 hour time and wore it for several years and then went back to an analog watch. The analog I have now is thirty years old. I decided last year to replace it, but the new watches are so large and so heavy that I decided to keep it.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:59 AM

From the Examiner files of 100 years ago:

A.D. Logeman has recently built a wireless station. The tower is 69 feet high, with a 4 wire aerial on 7 foot spreaders, 100 feet long, the other end is run 300 feet to a large walnut tree one half block away. He also built himself a talking machine when he was 14 years old. He has experimented in electricity for about four years and now thinks he is capable of installing and operating a complete wireless station.

The new parcels post system, which is being inaugurated by the postal department all across the country, began in the Independence post office Jan. 1. It is up to the merchants of the small towns to take such an advantage of the new law that they will not only hold the business they have, but increase it largely. City papers carry announcements of merchants who have added a mail order department and ask orders to be delivered by parcels post. Suits of clothes, shoes, underwear, all kinds of dry goods, and practically all kinds of merchandise, will be delivered by the post office.

Capt. Schuyler Lowe, who won his title as commander of a battery, and served the Confederacy gallantly for four years, died at his home on Jan. 3. He was temporarily in command of a company of Confederate recruits in the battle of Rock Creek in June 1861. Later, he became a calvaryman in the regular service under Gen. Sterling Price. Then was transferred to the army east of Mississippi. During the siege of Vicksburg by the Federals, Captain Lowe was in command of the Third Missouri Battery. After the capture of Vicksburg, he was sent as a prisoner of war to Fort Delaware. He was one of the “Immortal Six Hundred” Confederate officers who were taken from Fort Delaware to Charleston, S.C., where the Federals were attacking Fort Sumter with gunboats and the Confederates were defending it. They were exposed danger of the fire both of friends and enemies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City