Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 03:09 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Cool, I printed that out.

You know, I have seen that bird's eye view of Independence before. I have always marveled at how an artist could make such an aerial illustration having only a street by street ground perspective for visual reference.

When I was a kid I thought those 19th century bird's eye views were sketched from a hot air balloon.

Rats!! You mean they weren't??

If you like bird's eye views, how about this?: http://www.loc.gov/resource/g4164i.pm004260/

Last edited by SilverDoc; 01-09-2013 at 03:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 04:20 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Rats!! You mean they weren't??

If you like bird's eye views, how about this?: Bird's eye view of the city of Independence, Jackson Co., Missouri 1868.
The view is looking southwest in 1868.

Lexington Street has its curve to the southwest.

I dont see the long rock wall along Pleasant Street where the Union forces retreated from their headquarters in the Chrisman-Sawyer bank building to take up a defensive position in the first Battle of Independence, six years earlier.

River Blvd was Ruffner Street in this view.

Maple Street was Rock Street.

Noland Road is not named but you can see a four block section that ends at Walnut and then apparently continues a block later as Harmony Street.

No evidence of a mill on south Osage but there is a three to four story industrial looking building at the foot of Pleasant Street.

A sketch artist would have to have done an awfully lot of research to locate all the houses and draw them in an aerial perspective. I wonder how much an artist would charge for a sketch like this?

Old 01-09-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
The view is looking southwest in 1868.

Lexington Street has its curve to the southwest.

I dont see the long rock wall along Pleasant Street where the Union forces retreated from their headquarters in the Chrisman-Sawyer bank building to take up a defensive position in the first Battle of Independence, six years earlier.

River Blvd was Ruffner Street in this view.

Maple Street was Rock Street.

Noland Road is not named but you can see a four block section that ends at Walnut and then apparently continues a block later as Harmony Street.

No evidence of a mill on south Osage but there is a three to four story industrial looking building at the foot of Pleasant Street.

A sketch artist would have to have done an awfully lot of research to locate all the houses and draw them in an aerial perspective. I wonder how much an artist would charge for a sketch like this?

A lot of research and lots of time! I think that this map is so neat because you can keep zooming in so you can make out all the little details.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:39 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
Quote:
A lot of research and lots of time! I think that this map is so neat because you can keep zooming in so you can make out all the little details.
The bird's eye view of the COMPREHENSIVE PLAN CHAPTER 11, HISTORIC PRESERVATION that you posted does not have a date but appears to be the same sketch. However, the quality of the transfer to PDF has not held up making it difficult to compare.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:34 AM

A blast from the past... actually a twofer:
Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-clippard-rodekopf-rambler-c.1960s-located-here   Long ago on independence square-first-national-bank-s.e.-corner-lexington  

Old 01-10-2013, 11:13 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:
Maybe someday a future owner of the bank building will undo the bland facade it now has. The old way had much more character.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:18 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Quote:

Clippard-Rodekopf Motors 813-815 W. Lexington, which puts it on the s. side, between Union and River. A part of "Paradise" now paved with a parking lot (for all you J. Mitchell fans out there).

While the Church's expansion did clean up that area from an aesthetic point of view, it wiped out so much of the buildings that we remember there.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimlover6 View Post
The first 3 are from July 1996....the black and white is from 2001, when the restoration was almost done.

The work was paid for by the now defunct historic preservation non-profit, Preservation Renaissance Independence.....there are many other buildings in Independence that are slowly deteriorating from lack of interest, lack of money, or just outright neglect

Welcome back. What are some of those buildings that come to mind, in order of your priority (i.e., what would you like to see preserved first, second, third, etc.)?

Old 01-10-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Do you know of anything else the Preservation Renaissance Independence is working on?

I looked for a web site but did not find one.

Weimlover's post said the organization was now unfortunately, defunct.

Regrettably, it appears none of the monied Independence families set up an entity to fund to preserve, restore, rehab much of the history (as has been done in other cities).

Old 01-10-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Clippard-Rodekopf Motors 813-815 W. Lexington, which puts it on the s. side, between Union and River. A part of "Paradise" now paved with a parking lot (for all you J. Mitchell fans out there).

While the Church's expansion did clean up that area from an aesthetic point of view, it wiped out so much of the buildings that we remember there.

This photo was taken after they moved to Englewood in 1960 on the north side of Winner Road. Later it became just Rodekopf Motors, and moved again in 1974 to the "miracle mile".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City