Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2013, 04:14 PM

778 posts, read 1,026,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Maybe it was Chief Minnehaha (of Independence Square Lexington Street store front fame) and his band.

Would that be his cigar band?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 04:14 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,479,996 times
Quote:
Take number two:
Taking a look from the Spring Street cul de sac with the Google Earth Street View, it appears to be a number of large logs set in a circle as though someone had a campfire circle.
I believe that is used for outdoor historical lectures, perhaps by the mule-drawn wagon group.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:17 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,479,996 times
Quote:
On the corner of "Spring" and Pacific is an old apparently well kept up but boarded up wood building that has architecture resembling a railroad depot. It is not the Chicago and Alton Depot, though, it is further back on "Spring" Street.

I think this particular depot looking building had something to do with the old mill and RR tracks did go in front of it paralleling Pacific and the old mill and tracks still go across Pacific to the rear of this old building.

So anyone what is it?
It was indeed a part of the old mill, it last served as offices before the big fire. During my dispatch days it was the Old Mill Tavern, scene of a few drunken disturbances. I'm not sure who owns it now.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:22 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,773,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
I'm not sure of what that building was originally, (it may have been part of the actual mill at some point like you say) but before it was boarded up, it was the "Old Mill" bar. There was also another bar within the old mill itself on the second floor, that had seating out on a deck, much like the "smoking areas" a lot of the lounges and bars have today. Confused yet?
Sanborn Map #1, 1907, labels this building as an office. I thought I might have read elsewhere that the building was the office for the milling company.

In addition to the tracks paralleling Pacific Street, which went in front of this office building, there was an additional set of tracks curving behind the office building. This additional set of tracks paralleled the current day tracks and then curved west crossing Spring Street and entered the Waggoner Gates property behind the brick complex and extended to south Osage where they ended.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
It was indeed a part of the old mill, it last served as offices before the big fire. During my dispatch days it was the Old Mill Tavern, scene of a few drunken disturbances. I'm not sure who owns it now.
I was thinking I saw where the museum had long range plans for the building. In the meantime, someone has kept it up.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Would that be his cigar band?
I heard rumors of a rubber band.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I heard rumors of a rubber band.

"Hey, y’all prepare yourself

For the Rubberband man

You never heard a sound

Like the rubberband man

You’re bound to lose control

When the Rubberband starts to jam!"

Old 01-05-2013, 06:37 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,121 times
Quote:
"Hey, y’all prepare yourself

For the Rubberband man

You never heard a sound

Like the rubberband man

You’re bound to lose control

When the Rubberband starts to jam!"

Hahaha, GMTA*, DOC

*Great Minds Think Alike !

Old 01-05-2013, 08:29 PM

I have heard the railroads in Independence used bow ties in some places. In others they used polka dot ties.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I have heard the railroads in Independence used bow ties in some places. In others they used polka dot ties.

And maybe hair ties, wire ties, and bread ties?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City