Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 10:50 AM

778 posts, read 1,024,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Hard to believe, wow, or unbelievable that someone would leave their home to a church, especially if they had children.

But that would be something between them and their church and no one would want to deny them the right to leave it to who they wanted.

It wouldn't have been the first time it was done, if it actually happened that way, and I'm sure it won't be the last, if it did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 10:57 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
I had always heard that most of the people that lived on that stretch of Pendleton had willed their homes to the church, as it was said that most were R.L.D.S. members. Whether or not this is true....
I know that church had a real-estate arm called "Central Development Association" that handled all the real estate they acquired. Many of the properties they owned were rented out for years before destruction.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:28 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times
[quote=Mad Anthonie;27714574]Are you referring to the house on the SE corner that faced Lexington? A school buddy of mine lived there for a while in the early 70s.

Unless the street numbering changed, that was not the house. A close up shows that to be 619 W.L. Their house was 625 and the house opposite where Pendleton ends is 628, so presumably it was the house on the SW corner, which is now the corner of the RLDS grounds.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

One year I came back to visit my folks and decided to go over and look at the old William Chrisman. I too was flabbergasted at all those houses having been taken out. At first I thought the houses had all been condemned along some Urban Renewal lines but soon learned it was the church.

Then I began wondering how many years the church negotiated with some of the owners. They must have paid a premium in some cases and due to the number of properties involved, there were surely some die hard hold outs.
They tried to buy my GF's house for years and he finally succumbed to a lowball offer around 1979. I don't know if they still own the house, but someone is living there per Streetview. It might be converted back to one-family rather than rented on the second floor and first floor east side when he owned it. All the houses across Maple are gone and you could sit on the porch and see the Church with an unobstructed view. That apparently was the long-term plan, to acquire all the property along that side of WL, but why they razed the houses (a couple of which were large and had historic looks) from old WCHS down to River I do not understand. Maybe the rental market just isn't there anymore.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:35 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
Quote:
Rats!! You mean they weren't??

If you like bird's eye views, how about this?: Bird's eye view of the city of Independence, Jackson Co., Missouri 1868.
It is tough to tell but one of those lone buildings on Ruffner Street might have been the Church of Christ (Temple Lot) Hedrick Branch, etc.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I agree! I remember going to Cochrane's on Osage, across from Velvet Freeze in the last 60's, buy my 45's, or to pick up the latest WHB "Top 40 Survey", L.P.'s, etc. Today, I have maybe a hundred L.P.'s left, (only because I have a younger brother that liked to "borrow"!) and haven't had a change to download the music that's on those L.P.'s, yet. Little by little, though, I'm getn'er done. I'm like you and wonder why I didn't try to record the yesterdays on film, tape, or film. Simple answer, really. I didn't care at the time! It took years later, when I had noticed my Great-Uncle had been taking photos around town, since the 30's, that finally got me to start taking more pics. Not soon enough, unfortunately.

You say you have a Youtube channel? Could you send a link? Oh, and as far as Pendleton is concerned, when I was at WCJHS, at gym class we would run from Lexington down Pendleton and across Walnut to the Campus. I remember all those nice houses we ran past. Years later when they decided that all of those houses were to be torn down, I thought, WHAT THE? Too many parking lots, and not enough historic homes, businesses.....
I too picked up Forty Star Surveys at Cochran's. Maybe Turner's had them also.

Does anyone remember Cole Music Co. which looks to have been on the south side of WL? At 821, it would have been between Clippard-Rodekopf and Galen Boyer.

Doc, will send you the link via DM.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I too picked up Forty Star Surveys at Cochran's. Maybe Turner's had them also.

Does anyone remember Cole Music Co. which looks to have been on the south side of WL? At 821, it would have been between Clippard-Rodekopf and Galen Boyer.

Doc, will send you the link via DM.
Got the link, thanks!

Turner's for sure had the surveys when Cochran's moved there. If I remember correctly, it was up a few steps at the back of the store. As far as Cole's, doesn't ring a bell, but maybe a brain cloud's the problem!

Old 01-12-2013, 09:13 AM

Good Saturday Morning! It is time for another drive down Memory Lane!

Good Luck!

Old 01-12-2013, 09:28 AM

Here is a good way for you to kill most of the day. Just go to this photo gallery and start browsing. There are several pages of the Truman home.

Search Results: "jackson county, missouri" - Prints & Photographs Online Catalog (Library of Congress)

Old 01-12-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Here is a good way for you to kill most of the day. Just go to this photo gallery and start browsing. There are several pages of the Truman home.

Search Results: "jackson county, missouri" - Prints & Photographs Online Catalog (Library of Congress)
Thanks for the link, Mad. I've been checking out the plans and construction photos of the Chouteau bridge. Neat pics! Anyone have photos of it being torn down/blown up/deconstructed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City