Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2013, 09:45 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I'll give it to you, although you are technically inaccurate! The bridge was on Truman Road just west of Frandsen. For those not familiar, it was between the 2 intersections of Truman Road and Kiger, before Lee's Summit Road was extended north of 23rd (Alton). The photo was taken in 1983.

Who's next with a photo? Maybe the new guy has something to share.
Pass over that bridge on Truman heading east at a fast rate of speed and then slow down just a little and make a right turn going over the former narrow bridge on Kiger, hope no one is on the Kiger bridge and then resume a fast rate of speed up the steep hill south towards 23rd Street. No wonder it seemed familiar.

Do you know what it went over? Possibly a feed into Spring Branch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 10:19 AM

778 posts, read 1,025,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
I'll guess that bridge is just west of Lee's Summit on Truman Rd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Seems like a mighty small bridge/road for a thoroughfare like Truman Rd. But then again, it's 30 years ago and heading out east toward's No Man's Land (at least to me)!

That does, however look like the little backroads that one might choose while taking the "long way home" to a date's house after a night at the Twin Drive In :-)
Well, "No man's land" is a pretty good place to live, if I do say so myself. I've lived "out here" in the same house for a total of 40+ yrs. Until a few years ago, it's been somewhat like living in the country while still being close to most everything I need. Well, at least you can see the country from here!

Old 03-02-2013, 10:24 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
That bridge just seemed "Truman Roadish" to me at first glance but where. If Silver Doc is right and I suspect he might be, it looks like whatever the bridge went over was replaced with a large drain pipe when the road was widened. However, I could not see anything I recognized like that on Google Earth. I also could not see a water crossing in that area of Truman on Delorme maps.
This view allows you to see Spring Branch, which runs alongside Truman Road for a bit.

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

Old 03-02-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
This view allows you to see Spring Branch, which runs alongside Truman Road for a bit.

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

That's correct. It flows east out my neck of the woods. If one were to leave my house driving south, Jones Rd changes to Holke Rd. after crossing Truman. Continuing south, you cross over Spring Branch creek as it meanders east to eventually flow into the Little Blue River.

The concrete bridge noted earlier on Truman just west of Alexander Rd., crosses an unnamed creek that flows from that point south, to empty into Spring Branch Creek.

Last edited by SilverDoc; 03-02-2013 at 12:35 PM..

Old 03-02-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
That's correct. It flows east out my neck of the woods. If one were to leave my house driving south, Jones Rd changes to Holke Rd. after crossing Truman. Continuing south, you cross over Spring Branch creek as it meanders east to eventually flow into the Little Blue River.

The concrete bridge noted earlier on Truman just west of Alexander Rd., crosses an unnamed creek that flows from that point south, to empty into Spring Branch Creek.
I have often wondered why it is called Spring Branch Creek since a branch feeds a creek, chuckle.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I have often wondered why it is called Spring Branch Creek since a
branch feeds a creek, chuckle.
And a spring feeds a branch!

Old 03-02-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
And a spring feeds a branch!
I was thinking a brook fed a branch, chuckle.

At Great Falls Montana, Giant Springs creates the Roe River, at 200 feet long the shortest river in the world. It travels the 200 feet and empties into the Missouri River.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:27 PM

I just traced the origin or the source of Spring Branch Creek with Delorme Maps and it begins two and one half blocks north of 23rd Street where Hocker Street ends at the east side of Woodlawn Cemetery.

It also flows just a block north of where I use to live on Harkless Street. I always knew substantial drainage was there but was not aware that it was Spring Branch.

Around 1949 or 50, I recall getting into a lot of trouble at home because immediately after school I went over to where Spring Branch went under Crane Street and helped some other kids build a dam. My mom wanted me home after school rather than running around. I knew the rules but could not resist when I was invited by some other kids. She had me cut my own switch, chuckle. It was not funny then but is now--sort of.

That whole area has changed character and driving on Crane at that spot you are not even aware the creek goes under Crane. This is just a little under a mile from the square.

Building the dam, we disturbed some animal that made a splashing noise in the water and my young brain told me it was a beaver but the other kids said it was a muskrat.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
I just traced the origin or the source of Spring Branch Creek with Delorme Maps and it begins two and one half blocks north of 23rd Street where Hocker Street ends at the east side of Woodlawn Cemetery.

It also flows just a block north of where I use to live on Harkless Street. I always knew substantial drainage was there but was not aware that it was Spring Branch.

Around 1949 or 50, I recall getting into a lot of trouble at home because immediately after school I went over to where Spring Branch went under Crane Street and helped some other kids build a dam. My mom wanted me home after school rather than running around. I knew the rules but could not resist when I was invited by some other kids. She had me cut my own switch, chuckle. It was not funny then but is now--sort of.

That whole area has changed character and driving on Crane at that spot you are not even aware the creek goes under Crane. This is just a little under a mile from the square.

Building the dam, we disturbed some animal that made a splashing noise in the water and my young brain told me it was a beaver but the other kids said it was a muskrat.

Now we now where, but I'm curious as to just how the water originates. Maybe a spring, hence the name? Again, the spring feeds the branch....maybe?

Old 03-03-2013, 06:57 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
I'm starting to think y'all are all wet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City