Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 09:22 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Damn, then I was premature in laughing at the thought of a "Raytown Images" I did go to the publisher website just to be sure, and wow, does it have a bunch of interesting books. Be they images of Missouri, Texas, Route 66 (an interest of mine) and so forth. Books are a little pricey at $20+ but I'll order some in due time.

I think I have seen a picture of crowded SC Pool that likely came from that edition.

As far as the "Sugar Creek" book, try here: Sugar Creek, Missouri : ISBN 0738584126 : Piland, Richard N. : EAN 9780738584126 or here: New Sugar Creek Piland Richard N 9780738584126 0738584126 | eBay

You might like this: Independence (Postcards of America: Missouri): Richard N. Piland, Marietta Wilson Boenker: 9780738561431: Amazon.com: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 06:29 AM

18 posts, read 21,453 times
When I worked (at the new store in Chrisman Plaza) Leo Young was the manager. Lou had left to start Richards United Super out at Sesquehanna and 24.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:30 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
My greetings and welcome also! The more the merrier! I was at WCJHS in the same time frame. I had Oetting, (who I saw in Price Choppers a couple of months ago) Tyson, and Hershman for gym. I was lucky to get through without a swat. Never got one from Norton, either. Guess I lucked out, huh? Didn't escape the infamous wooden indoor track, though! 30 laps was a mile, as I recall. One day, as we were headed in a trot toward the Campus, I glanced behind me to see where the coach was, and when I turned my head back around, there was a mail truck directly ahead of me, so I threw up my hands to cushion the impact while falling to one knee. All I got was one badly skinned knee, thankfully!
All three were still there in my day. I had Oetting and Tyson. Tyson lived just 3 doors down from me on Farmer. His mother was a music teacher, and lived just around the corner from him on Pleasant.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:11 AM

Mom said she taught with Georgia Kimsey for about six years at the old Bryant. Said she never married and took care of her father on the east side of Independence.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:24 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0650 View Post
Mom said she taught with Georgia Kimsey for about six years at the old Bryant. Said she never married and took care of her father on the east side of Independence.
She is my all time favorite teacher, and not just because I had her three years in a row! Each day after lunch she read to us from The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. When that was finished we moved right into Huckleberry Finn. That may explain why even now I like Mark Twain's writings. She was also an accomplished piano player, but not in a style you would expect. It wasn't often, but several times a year she would wow us with a mini-concert of ragtime music.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:05 PM

I'll ask mom if she remembers the piano playing! I saw in an earlier post someone mentioned Countryside Market at 24 and Kiger. Dad used to give me a dollar and send me in for two packs of L&M's, I hated cigarettes and was always embarrassed when the clerk would ask if the cigarettes were for me.

The other post that brought back memories was of the cemetery at 24 and Salisbury, had a great eastbound drag race from that light! '66 Vette vs '67 Nova with two four barrel carbs sticking out of the hood. Vette won. (not mine) I was just a passenger.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:25 PM

In answer to a previous question as to how I found this site, I was looking for information on Polly's Pop. I was working at Milgram's as a bag boy and an elderly fellow ahd just checked thru. As he left he dropped a $10 bill. I saw it and picked it up, caught up with him and gave it back. He wanted to reward me and I wouldn't take anything so he left and came back a few minutes later with a small pocket knife that said "given to a true friend" Polly's Pop. I don't know if he was Polly or not, he was an elderly gent and this was 1969.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:49 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,765,093 times
Quote:
In answer to a previous question as to how I found this site, I was looking for information on Polly's Pop. I was working at Milgram's as a bag boy and an elderly fellow ahd just checked thru. As he left he dropped a $10 bill. I saw it and picked it up, caught up with him and gave it back. He wanted to reward me and I wouldn't take anything so he left and came back a few minutes later with a small pocket knife that said "given to a true friend" Polly's Pop. I don't know if he was Polly or not, he was an elderly gent and this was 1969.
Another welcome to this site from me, formerly a C&J United Super (23rd & what is now Lees Summit Road), Charlies United Super (Fairmount), and Cascios Food Mart (12500 block 40 Highway) bottle boy, bag boy, stock boy, order boy, cashier, etc.

Last time I was in Independence was in mid January and there is still a sign in a window at the old Western Auto at Osage and Maple that says "Pollys Pop Coming Soon." It has been there a long time now.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:30 PM

I worked at the Milgram's at 40 and Noland for a while, was that near Cascios?

Old 02-26-2013, 03:41 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,765,093 times
Quote:
I worked at the Milgram's at 40 and Noland for a while, was that near Cascios?
Cascio's was several blocks west of Noland on the south side of 40 Highway just before Crysler. It opened in 1962 and initially advertised as being the largest grocery store west of the Mississippi. The store had either 30,000 or 40,000 square feet and was owned by Ben Cascio and was supplied by Associated Grocers. I believe there was actually a larger grocery store in St Louis that complained and they dropped claiming that distinction.

I don't know when it went out.

We have discussed here a few times the fact that at one time, there was a Milgram's on Independence Square at Lexington and Main.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City