Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2022, 07:10 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Mea culpa. It gets confusing.

The "Contact Us" banner at the bottom of every page of the county website lists the Kansas City courthouse as the mailing address. Yet the history section of the county website states that Independence is (still) the county seat, as it has been since the county's founding. And article 1, section 2 of the county's Home Rule Charter (first adopted in 1970) says that "The present boundaries and county seat shall continue until changed as provided by law."

AFAIK, there has been no law passed relocating the county seat, right?

And yet I understand that almost no county government offices remain in the Truman Court House in Independence. I assume the Independence offices are all in the Court House Annex?

Kansas City is the most populous municipality in the county, so yes, there is some sense to having the county do the bulk of its business there. But that was also true when Truman ran the county, and as I think we all may know, he considered Kansas City a suburb of Independence.

The historic courthouse still has Tax Collector and Property Recorder offices, along with space for the Jackson County Historical Society, which includes a nice little bookstore. The Annex was extensively remodeled and enlarged a bit a few years ago. That work gave it a much nicer jury pool room and more courtrooms. I'm not sure what other offices might be in either building, but if we ask Pearjas nicely he can fill us in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 04:36 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
[quote=Mad Anthonie;63566426]Sorry that I'm a bit behind, this is my busy season.

Busy with paper route?

Or busy with tomatoes and cukes?

Old 06-10-2022, 07:02 AM

[quote=MRG Dallas;63591499]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Sorry that I'm a bit behind, this is my busy season.

Busy with paper route?

Or busy with tomatoes and cukes?

Cukes and zukes and swimming pool.
Work in the garden, get wet to get cool!
Back to the garden for tomato and bean,
Everyday it's the same scene!

Old 06-12-2022, 11:42 PM

239 posts, read 257,416 times
I plan on attending on Tuesday right after work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Very cool, pearjas Glad to see the City Fathers/Mothers with some creativity for a change

To the Sports Complex? Wow, that is quite a lengthy trail. Hopefully, ALL of you living there will attend this Open House next week and REPORT BACK here. Would love to see a description of where to where and what the proposed routes are.

So your mission, gentlemen, should you choose to accept it, is . . .

Old 06-15-2022, 08:08 AM

239 posts, read 257,416 times
Well, let's just say they are wanting to make some changes!! :P
In short, they are wanting to connect all the historic area - Truman library, courthouse, etc via a walking and bike trail and it will actually extend to other areas of the city.

https://www.marc.org/sites/default/f...al_Project.pdf

Old 06-15-2022, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearjas View Post
In short, they are wanting to connect all the historic area - Truman library, courthouse, etc via a walking and bike trail and it will actually extend to other areas of the city.

Thanks, now can you find the time I'll need to study this!!

Old 06-18-2022, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearjas View Post

That's quite the ambitious . . .brochure . . . 32 pages

In sorting thru it, I am curious how the 40 Hiway segment is going to be constructed. With all those businesses on both sides and for that length west I just wouldn't picture a bike/pedestrian route thru there.

Any thoughts from you hometowners?

Old 07-03-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:

In sorting thru it, I am curious how the 40 Hiway segment is going to be constructed. With all those businesses on both sides and for that length west I just wouldn't picture a bike/pedestrian route thru there.

I guess not

Hopefully, you Van Winkles aren't sleeping thru the 4th

Old 07-03-2022, 07:57 AM

14,187 posts, read 9,080,000 times
Quote:
I guess not

Hopefully, you Van Winkles aren't sleeping thru the 4th
I would think the fireworks (pro and amateur) would keep them up!

Have a glorious Fourth, everyone!

Old 07-03-2022, 09:42 AM

409 posts, read 293,329 times
Maybe I'm unobservant but as a bicyclist, I haven't encountered any evidence of progress on this plan so far. Having trouble picturing bicycling on 40 Hwy. Can't imagine why I'd want to.

But any kind of progress on trails would be good. Independence is not the easiest place for bicyclists, or walkers, for that matter. We mostly stick to the trails like Little Blue Trace and Rock Island. Almost everyone else I see road bicycling appears to be homeless.

(Speaking of which, there are camps tucked away everywhere. We've startled tent campers more than once when walking the trail in the wooded area of Santa Fe Park and have spotted camps in wooded areas bordering businesses and apartments.)

Especially now that we have pedal-assist bikes I would not use these proposed trails to visit a business or anywhere else I'd have to leave my bike outside, even with a heavy-duty lock. There's a good chance it would be stolen.

Anyway, thanks for sharing this report MRG. I'm intrigued and am going to look into it further.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City