Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2021, 07:49 AM

267 posts, read 158,141 times

Advertisements

"Don't make a $300 mistake!" [as 'cash' disappears in a POOF!']
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 12:49 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
You got the radio station and the original words to the song right, but the commercial-jingle version of the latter replaced "light brown hair" with "Schneider Ford." (Doug Schneider was two classes above mine at Pem-Day; I used to joke that all of the city's bankers and half its car dealers sent their sons to the school. One of my classmates was Harris Miller, whose dad owned Miller Pontiac on Main Street above the Plaza.)

Speaking of commercial jingles, I'm saddened somewhat by their disappearance. Apparently, it costs so much to write, score and record purpose-made jingles that ad agencies now license well-known pop songs instead when they want music for commercials.

I'm going to make another stab at the restaurant based on your comment above: Myron Green cafeteria?

(Myron Green also ran the Pem-Day dining hall, where lunch was served family-style.)
If I'm not mistaken, I went to MU with Stefani (Stephanie) Miller, Ralph's daughter. Attractive redhead. I believe Miller Pontiac went bankrupt, as did SuperDealer. Too bad, he was always a nice guy to me.

Local jingles were so much fun. We all knew most of them, esp the ones on WHB

Speaking of, the company that created and produced the radio jingles loved around the country was located in Dallas, just off US 75 and Henderson. As I may have mentioned before, about 12-15 or so years ago, the late WHB DJ Richard Ward Fatherly had a "WHB 'museum'" website replete with pics, personalities, history (significant, which surprised me) and a feature with 30 minutes of nonstop jingles. Fond memories for the 'station we grew up with" Unfortunately, the website is no more following his passing

Another good guess, but no. My wife and I often joke about this restaurant, with me saying she must've been the little girl upline who held everyone else up, carefully surveying all the food choices and asking Granny what they were. If you knew her, you'd appreciate the joke

Ok, I'll hold Jingles Jeopardy! open for more contestants. In the meantime:

The first is from a Buick Dealer

The "convention center" is a locally-famous hotel

Old 01-18-2021, 02:36 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post

Perhaps the U-Smile on 40 Hiway?

Old 01-18-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Perhaps the U-Smile on 40 Hiway?
Uhhhhhhhhhhhh, No

When you’re alone and life is making you lonely you can always go

Downtown

Old 01-18-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post
"Don't make a $300 mistake!" [as 'cash' disappears in a POOF!']
SuperDealer?

Or (Bill x 2) + (Allen x 2)?

Old 01-18-2021, 05:57 PM

267 posts, read 158,141 times
Quote:
SuperDealer?

Or (Bill x 2) + (Allen x 2)?

Since I have forgotten, I thought maybe you could tell me! The guy was a Dodge (I think) dealer very near downtown. Darned if I can think of it.

Old 01-18-2021, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post
Since I have forgotten, I thought maybe you could tell me! The guy was a Dodge (I think) dealer very near downtown. Darned if I can think of it.
Are you sure? The only Dodger I see in 1970 is Bob Lutz Swift Dodge, 1515 Swift in NKC

Doesn’t look like Dodge was a very popular model in our town

Lots of Chevrolets

In fact let’s name some might as well do Ford dealers too

Btw Miller Pontiac was @ 4200 Main.

Old 01-18-2021, 07:32 PM

Ok, since y’all are fallin’ all over yourselves to answer my Drivia Qs, let’s try this one

Name the three most “popular” public parking lots Two are clearly the largest the third looks to be a bit bigger than two more if you name any of the two I will give you credit. So you get five to make three

Now I know what Sally36 felt like in The Early Years.

Old 01-19-2021, 04:11 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, I went to MU with Stefani (Stephanie) Miller, Ralph's daughter. Attractive redhead. I believe Miller Pontiac went bankrupt, as did SuperDealer. Too bad, he was always a nice guy to me.

Local jingles were so much fun. We all knew most of them, esp the ones on WHB.

Speaking of, the company that created and produced the radio jingles loved around the country was located in Dallas, just off US 75 and Henderson. As I may have mentioned before, about 12-15 or so years ago, the late WHB DJ Richard Ward Fatherly had a "WHB 'museum'" website replete with pics, personalities, history (significant, which surprised me) and a feature with 30 minutes of nonstop jingles. Fond memories for the 'station we grew up with" Unfortunately, the website is no more following his passing
"W-(snap)-H-B, dial seventy-one. Kansas City, Miss-ooo-reee. (spoken) World's Happiest Broadcasters!"

Maybe the only radio station in the Kansas City market whose required top-of-the-hour FCC station ID was sung rather than spoken.

Of course, I grew up listening to KPRS as much as or more than I did WHB. Every morning during drive time, the station would shout out names of area high schools followed by the bridge of the chorus of the song "Soul People." That meant someone who went to that school listened to the station and called to check in. You could probably guess what most of those were, but one of them — "Truman High!" — is relevant to this discussion, and another — "Pembroke-Country Day!" — surprised me until I went there. (Pem-Day graduated its first Black student in 1973, three years before I graduated. There were 10 of us in an Upper School student body of about 225 when I was going through the school. I would have been its first Black valedictorian, but my grades slipped in the last semester of senior year, and I graduated second after being at the head of the class from the day I entered seventh grade in 1970. A very popular former Lower School teacher — my brother was in his class in fourth grade — told me some years later that the slip to second place may not have been due to slacking off on my part, even though I know I did slip off my pace that last semester.)

Interesting info on the jingle producer.

Quote:
Another good guess, but no. My wife and I often joke about this restaurant, with me saying she must've been the little girl upline who held everyone else up, carefully surveying all the food choices and asking Granny what they were. If you knew her, you'd appreciate the joke

Ok, I'll hold Jingles Jeopardy! open for more contestants. In the meantime:

The first is from a Buick Dealer

The President Hotel?

And now I'm stumped on the restaurant. Self-service: that usually means a cafeteria, and I gave the old jingle for the Forum, Myron Green's big rival downtown, many posts upthread ("When you're really looking...for modern homestyle cooking..."). Or was it also the Forum? Putsch's, the third member of the Kansas City cafeteria triumvirate, was on the Plaza.

Old 01-19-2021, 04:20 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Ok, since y’all are fallin’ all over yourselves to answer my Drivia Qs, let’s try this one

Name the three most “popular” public parking lots Two are clearly the largest the third looks to be a bit bigger than two more if you name any of the two I will give you credit. So you get five to make three

Now I know what Sally36 felt like in The Early Years.
Barney Allis Plaza (the Municipal Auditorium garage)*

1200 block McGee Street; this one had a BBQ joint in a building on its north side; that place's neon sign flashed briefly during that KCPT/Flatland KC documentary on burnt ends made a few years ago, with one alteration. I think the guy who ran the place had the last name Edwards

There was a pretty large one across from the Empire (later AMC Mainstreet, now Alamo Drafthouse, I think) theater at 14th and Main. Or is my memory playing tricks with me here?

*Here's a trivia question about the Municipal Auditorium garage, which opened about 20 years after the auditorium did: It's entirely underground on the 12th Street side, but its top level is above ground across 13th from the auditorium. Why is this so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City