Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2021, 11:43 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
It was already EBBundschu by 1961, per Polk's Capably managed by Mrs Faye Bronson, with the Beauty Parlor managed by Mamie M Johnson if perhaps anyone recognizes these fine businesswomen

Maybe MAD can look at earlier issues online @ Library which I believe goes up to 1960, to nail the year of name change

I'd look but my Card Privileges have expired, and I'm blaming Covid

BTW I have virtually no recollection of this fine establishment, in spite of wandering by hundreds of times. May be a faint image of the front window displays, but that's it. No recalls of ever being in the store, the signage, nuttin I just know where it was located

I took the quicker route by swiveling in my chair to the bookcase holding my copies of Pearl's works. Ms. Wilcox reports the Bundschu family sold out in 1959.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 07:04 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
BTW I have virtually no recollection of this fine establishment, in spite of wandering by hundreds of times. May be a faint image of the front window displays, but that's it. No recalls of ever being in the store, the signage, nuttin I just know where it was located
It was on the east side of the courthouse square.

I do remember seeing the "Emery, Bird, Bundschu" sign over the entrance to the store on one Sunday drive with my grandparents pre-1973 (the year Emery Bird's died), but that was the only one of Emery Bird's three stores I never set foot in.

I wonder how they would have fared had they opened more stores as Macy's did after it acquired John Taylor Dry Goods in 1949? (Of the still-locally-owned department stores, only Jones went on a real expansion kick after World War II, opening a store in the late 1940s at 31st and Troost, one in ~1954 in the Prairie Village Shopping Center, and one in 1955 in the Blue Ridge Mall. But I think that Mercantile Stores Corporation had acquired Jones by the time the Blue Ridge store opened, for that was the first store to bear the logo of "The Jones Store Company." Kline's had only one branch store, opened in 1961 at Ward Parkway Center*, and Peck's, the first of the downtown department stores to die, never opened a branch at all. (I have very vague memories of going into Peck's with my parents sometime in 1963, as the store was on its last legs; I remember it being rather dark and gloomy.)

The clothiers did better — Rothschild's, Woolf Brothers, Adler's, The Palace and above all Harzfeld's all lasted past the 1970s. (Harzfeld's, IIRC, got acquired by Washington, DC-based Garfinckel's.)

*Wait — or did it have a store at Antioch Center too? I don't think Macy's was the only department store at the only suburban shopping center North of the River from 1955 until about 1985.

Old 02-06-2021, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
It was on the east side of the courthouse square.

I do remember seeing the "Emery, Bird, Bundschu" sign over the entrance to the store on one Sunday drive with my grandparents pre-1973 (the year Emery Bird's died), but that was the only one of Emery Bird's three stores I never set foot in.

After EBB it was Macy's, then Independence City Hall. The building is still there, though altered. A later owner closed in the entry area. During the retail days it had large display windows that you could walk all the way around. The store entrance was behind them.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:29 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
After EBB it was Macy's, then Independence City Hall. The building is still there, though altered. A later owner closed in the entry area. During the retail days it had large display windows that you could walk all the way around. The store entrance was behind them.
I looked into the front of the building and I saw a directory of businesses/lawyers/whatever when I was there in 2013 At least I think I did. Took a ton of pics and videos so it's likely somewhere in the archives

Was it the second SS Kresges store to the north, then Milgram's across Lexington in the Good Ol Days? Too lazy to research this AM. BTW Mom's beauty shop was in the second floor above Lester's groceries. Pre-MRG She'd often greet the President during her AM treks to work up W Maple "Good morning, Mr President" with a smile. Yep, that was my sweet Mom.

Old 02-06-2021, 10:31 AM

908 posts, read 725,280 times
Today I was looking for a particular map of Independence and the annexations over the years when I stumbled across this document describing the history and architecture of "The Square." It defines the square much larger than I do, but that's okay. This was written by one of my classmates from William Chrisman, Class of 1963.

https://dnr.mo.gov/shpo/survey/JAAS089-R.pdf

Old 02-06-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
Today I was looking for a particular map of Independence and the annexations over the years...

Your search is over! Just click the button in this post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
This may help:

Old 02-06-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Your search is over! Just click the button in this post...
Well, I had that map on Facebook, but I could not see it well enough to find a date for when certain parts were annexed. Now, I see it only gives the ordinance number and no date. I am still trying to find when the 2400 block of Harvard became part of Independence. Harvard is the first block west of Sterling. I'll keep looking.

Old 02-06-2021, 03:03 PM

While I was trying to find out the date of the annexation by attempting to find the ordinance info, I stumbled across a plan for the future Independence. Here it is:

https://www.ci.independence.mo.us/us...-mapspread.pdf

Old 02-06-2021, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
Well, I had that map on Facebook, but I could not see it well enough to find a date for when certain parts were annexed. Now, I see it only gives the ordinance number and no date. I am still trying to find when the 2400 block of Harvard became part of Independence. Harvard is the first block west of Sterling. I'll keep looking.

The year of annexation is on that map, just above the ordinance number. The area of your concern was annexed in 1948.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:30 PM

Quote:
The year of annexation is on that map, just above the ordinance number. The area of your concern was annexed in 1948.

I know my eyes have gotten awfully bad, but I did not see the date. Thanks for letting me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City