Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2021, 02:36 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Looking forward to seeing those photos.

Fields was on the northeast corner of Truman and Noland Road.

I really think Fields had to relocate slightly because the widening of Noland Road needed the front part of their store.

After rebuilding they were still on the northeast corner of the same intersection.

I don't think I ever learned the name of the junk yard but their business required them to have a large crane of some type that towered over the landscape and was used to move junk from one place to another. I cannot recall whether the crane had a magnetic end or a claw end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarkus View Post
The junk yard was A. Markus and Son (My father wad the son, Milton Markus.) The crane had a magnet and eventually they had two cranes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I wasn't aware of such a rail spur. Did it come from the Airline or the MOPAC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post
It ran down the north side of the depot and came off the GM&O

That explains my memory blank. The original conversation was about the salvage yard at Truman & Noland. The rail spur you mentioned was for the salvage yard at Crysler & South Ave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2021, 04:52 PM

267 posts, read 158,452 times
Quote:
That explains my memory blank. The original conversation was about the salvage yard at Truman & Noland. The rail spur you mentioned was for the salvage yard at Crysler & South Ave.

Once again I find myself late to the conversation......

Old 03-11-2021, 11:56 PM

778 posts, read 1,025,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
That's the one!! Just after going over the top of that hill one comes to Walnut and then just south of that the railroad tracks. Been up and down that hill many, many times. Doc, how in the world did you happen to get this photo?

I took this photo and several others from all angles, but the rear

Old 03-13-2021, 08:40 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
I understand this truth. My wife and I left Independence in November of 1981, when I was 36. After living in Wichita and then Plano, TX, we returned to Independence Labor Day weekend of 1989. I had lost contact with almost all of my friends.

I have regained quite a few friends from my days from William Chrisman when we had our 50th Class Reunion. Prior to the reunion, I started a class website and eight years later I am still managing that site.
Have you looked to see if your class has a website. With ours, one can see who belonged to the class and one can join if they are part of that class. You might find that interesting if you have not tried it.[/color][/b]
For our small numbers, we have a great % of HS Class Webmasters

The cumulative talent here is amazing

Old 03-13-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
I took this photo and several others from all angles, but the rear
Glad to see new faces with the old.

Hope everyone will stick around to post their memories on the 10 year anniversary of this site coming up in,
. . .

A matter of days

Old 03-14-2021, 11:30 AM

From The Examiner, February 7, 1957:

"Don't go without Polio Immunization", an ad for Petey Childer's Pharmacy in Englewood.

On February 8th there is a front page article (with photos) of a mass inoculation of 260 school children. They were transported by school bus to the Jackson County Health Department for the shots. These kids were from Buckner, Sibley, and Levasy. Kids from other schools will be shot in the coming days.

History does indeed repeat itself!

Last edited by Mad Anthonie; 03-14-2021 at 11:53 AM..

Old 03-14-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
From The Examiner, February 7, 1957:

"Don't go without Polio Immunization", an ad for Petey Childer's Pharmacy in Englewood.

On February 8th there is a front page article (with photos) of a mass inoculation of 260 school children. They were transported by school bus to the Jackson County Health Department for the shots. These kids were from Buckner, Sibley, and Levasy. Kids from other schools will be shot in the coming days.

Kids . . . Will be shot?

Your words. Or The Examiners’?

‘

Old 03-14-2021, 01:07 PM

908 posts, read 725,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
For our small numbers, we have a great % of HS Class Webmasters

The cumulative talent here is amazing

Not all that much talent here. Just purchase an annual or five year subscription and follow the software company's directions. It helps to purchase a URL for your class.

Old 03-14-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Kids . . . Will be shot?

Your words. Or The Examiners’?

‘

Um, a loose paraphrase!

Old 03-15-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
From The Examiner,

That article also noted that PTA mothers assisted in the mass inoculation by washing the needles and making sure the syringes were clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City