Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2021, 12:00 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
For you older than me timers-

What restaurant was located at Truman & Osage in 1957? It was associated with a local legend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
Besides the bowling alley after it moved there. Blue Valley Federal S&L, and a teen club in the basement on the opposite side of the street, I don't recall anything else.

It was associated with a local legendary eatery (which has been discussed in this thread), but was operated under a different name. It was much smaller than its parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
It was associated with a local legendary eatery (which has been discussed in this thread), but was operated under a different name. It was much smaller than its parent.

I perceive that I have stumped y'all. The correct answer is "Stephenson's Little Apple Restaurant", open Noon till 9 PM. Sunday dinners start at just $1.25!

Old 02-23-2021, 07:46 PM

14,192 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
I perceive that I have stumped y'all. The correct answer is "Stephenson's Little Apple Restaurant", open Noon till 9 PM. Sunday dinners start at just $1.25!
I didn't know Stephenson's Apple Farm had a little sister!

Old 02-24-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I didn't know Stephenson's Apple Farm had a little sister!

In the late 70s-early 80s they had one up north. It was along the outer road of I-29 south of 64th or 72nd. It had some name variation, perhaps Apple Tree Inn.

The Little Apple Restaurant was short lived. Directories show that 233 N Osage was vacant in 1952. By 1954 it was Stephenson's Ala Carte with Lloyd & Leslie listed as proprietors. The 1957 directory shows it as Parker's Restaurant.

The advertisement I saw was from February, 1957. I'll assume the directory gathered its data a bit later than that.

Old 02-26-2021, 02:32 PM

85 posts, read 72,064 times
Quote:
Stephenson's (the one on 40 Highway) used to have a little sister restaurant called the Red Mule. It was right across the street. It was my first job when I was 15. Dude from my Boy Scout troop (I am originally from nearby Lee's Summit) got me the job. Very fond memories.

I am pretty sure the restaurant still exists now under a different name (the Biscuit, or something?). I do not get back home to see the parents often these days.

As for the square, man on man was that place epic back in the day, especially for skater punks of that era like myself. Nowadays it has gone all cosmopolitan. I got married back in November of 2020 back home and had to get a marriage license from the old Jackson County courthouse on the Square. It was nice to see that Dave's Deli was still around, along with Courthouse Exchange, but most of the places I no longer recognize.

Driving down Truman Road from the square towards Sterling was a splendid sight. They rehabbed tons of those old Victorian homes and they look terrific. The tacky row houses they put in smack dab in the parking lot where the farmers market used to bet? Not so much.

I know the square so well basically because my Boy Scout Troop had its meetings at Trinity Episcopal Church right near the square. We roamed the area like crazy before and after meetings, and we also hosted a parking event for the Santa Cali Gon every year. I would actually love to attend that event again after all this time. I wonder if playing "count the mullet" is still relevant.

Last edited by RemoteInWisco; 02-26-2021 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-26-2021, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoteInWisco View Post
Stephenson's (the one on 40 Highway) used to have a little sister restaurant called the Red Mule. It was right across the street. It was my first job when I was 15. Dude from my Boy Scout troop (I am originally from nearby Lee's Summit) got me the job. Very fond memories.

I am pretty sure the restaurant still exists now under a different name (the Biscuit, or something?). I do not get back home to see the parents often these days.

As for the square, man on man was that place epic back in the day, especially for skater punks of that era like myself. Nowadays it has gone all cosmopolitan. I got married back in November of 2020 back home and had to get a marriage license from the old Jackson County courthouse on the Square. It was nice to see that Dave's Deli was still around, along with Courthouse Exchange, but most of the places I no longer recognize.

Driving down Truman Road from the square towards Sterling was a splendid sight. They rehabbed tons of those old Victorian homes and they look terrific. The tacky row houses they put in smack dab in the parking lot where the farmers market used to bet? Not so much.

I know the square so well basically because my Boy Scout Troop had its meetings at Trinity Episcopal Church right near the square. We roamed the area like crazy before and after meetings, and we also hosted a parking event for the Santa Cali Gon every year. I would actually love to attend that event again after all this time. I wonder if playing "count the mullet" is still relevant.

Welcome to Old Independence! We do hope you'll stick around and share more memories.

It is The Big Biscuit, and is still in operation. They have a second location in Blue Springs.

Truman Road west of the Square is nicer than it was 20 to 40 years ago. Did you notice the apartment building on the south side west of Delaware? It was completely gutted by fire a few years ago, but has been rebuilt. Some of the junkier rundown commercial buildings have been razed, but there is still more to be done.

Santa-Cali-Gon has gotten more commercial over the years. Higher fees for the spaces have driven out most of the mom-and-pop crafters and non-profit food vendors, but it still draws a decent crowd.

Old 02-26-2021, 11:11 PM

908 posts, read 726,724 times
Quote:
I don't recall this location at all. I do remember the one where Big Biscuit is and I remember the one north of the river off I-29. Many moons ago, I used to work near KCI and passed that restaurant twice daily. And after Stephenson's closed, I ate at a location that one of the children or grandchildren opened. As I recall it was in Raytown.

Old 02-27-2021, 12:03 AM

85 posts, read 72,064 times
Quote:
Welcome to Old Independence! We do hope you'll stick around and share more memories.

It is The Big Biscuit, and is still in operation. They have a second location in Blue Springs.

Truman Road west of the Square is nicer than it was 20 to 40 years ago. Did you notice the apartment building on the south side west of Delaware? It was completely gutted by fire a few years ago, but has been rebuilt. Some of the junkier rundown commercial buildings have been razed, but there is still more to be done.

Santa-Cali-Gon has gotten more commercial over the years. Higher fees for the spaces have driven out most of the mom-and-pop crafters and non-profit food vendors, but it still draws a decent crowd.
Would love to. Despite growing up in Lakewood, where my parents still reside, most of my friends were in Independence on account of my involvement with the Boy Scout troop there. The first time I ever kissed a girl was at Dickinson Park in independence for example, which used to contain a public pool back in the day. I had a friend that lived in the adjacent neighborhood and the trails behind the park/pool went on forever and eventually spit you out behind Chrisman High School over off Nolan’s Road. We used to take pellet guns and bikes and go on adventures through those woods every weekend.

Speaking of Noland Road, it used to contain my favorite restaurant as a kid: Fuddruckers! I went there for my birthday every year and always polished off a pound burger. Complete with a basket of fries and lots of pump action nacho cheese. To this day I still have some hard plastic Fuddruckers to go cups at my house. One of which is in my garage and I use it to put salt on the Driveway.

Bringing all of this stuff up again is totally activating my nostalgia factor. I have been away a long time. I left for college at 18 and have not been back for more than a few days at a time since. Once you get a bit older you tend to lose track of everyone so I have really not had much occasion to talk about Independence related matters to anyone.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:24 AM

908 posts, read 726,724 times
Quote:
Once you get a bit older you tend to lose track of everyone so I have really not had much occasion to talk about Independence related matters to anyone.

I understand this truth. My wife and I left Independence in November of 1981, when I was 36. After living in Wichita and then Plano, TX, we returned to Independence Labor Day weekend of 1989. I had lost contact with almost all of my friends.

I have regained quite a few friends from my days from William Chrisman when we had our 50th Class Reunion. Prior to the reunion, I started a class website and eight years later I am still managing that site.
Have you looked to see if your class has a website. With ours, one can see who belonged to the class and one can join if they are part of that class. You might find that interesting if you have not tried it.

Old 02-27-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
The first time I ever kissed a girl was at Dickinson Park in independence for example, which used to contain a public pool back in the day. I had a friend that lived in the adjacent neighborhood and the trails behind the park/pool went on forever and eventually spit you out behind Chrisman High School over off Nolan’s Road. We used to take pellet guns and bikes and go on adventures through those woods every weekend.

Your old play land has shrunk a bit. There are now houses on the west side of the pond down to the north edge of WCHS property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City