Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2014, 11:45 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

I noticed the map showing the Air Line dipping south of Blue Road between Sterling and Forest. Considering the terrain in that area that doesn't seem likely, unless there has been major changes made since then. Perhaps it was a cartographer's trick. They would sometimes place minor errors on their maps as a form of copy protection.

It was nice to find a map that shows both Fairmount Park and Mt. Washington Park.I also noticed in the upper left that it shows what had been 4 RR lines condensed down to 2, at what is now called Rock Creek Junction.
I could not exactly pin point the square and could not exactly pinpoint Maple Street. But if the line ended at Maple and Osage, then they have Maple north of Blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 04:33 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I could not exactly pin point the square and could not exactly pinpoint Maple Street. But if the line ended at Maple and Osage, then they have Maple north of Blue.
The map has the Air Line RR terminating at White Oak & Osage. Blue Road's eastern end is shown at Pleasant, where the heavy line drops south to Maple. The Air Line opened in 1893, so I would expect the map to be accurate for it. Perhaps the terminus moved 2 blocks south later?

Speaking of accuracy, the map illustrates how far a term could be stretched by marketing folks. "Air Line" was a term used in many locales for railroads. The proper definition was " a railroad that was relatively flat and straight, choosing a shorter route over an easier route." The Kansas City and Independence Air Line Railroad was far from straight and level.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
The map has the Air Line RR terminating at White Oak & Osage. Blue Road's eastern end is shown at Pleasant, where the heavy line drops south to Maple. The Air Line opened in 1893, so I would expect the map to be accurate for it. Perhaps the terminus moved 2 blocks south later?

Speaking of accuracy, the map illustrates how far a term could be stretched by marketing folks. "Air Line" was a term used in many locales for railroads. The proper definition was " a railroad that was relatively flat and straight, choosing a shorter route over an easier route." The Kansas City and Independence Air Line Railroad was far from straight and level.
The 1892 Sanborn maps show the Air Line terminating at Maple and Osage.

The railroad that always "got me" was the Seaboard Airline Railroad that had 4,000 miles of track along the east coast. One of their deluxe passenger trains was the Orange Blossom Special, which Johnny Cash sang about and a number of fiddle versions were also released.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:38 AM

Fort Osage closed down in 1812 after war commenced with Great Britain. The post reopened in 1815 after the end of hostilities. At the reopening, the assistant factor at Fort Osage under George C. Sibley was a Kentuckian in his early twenties and himself a veteran of the recent war. He would eventually become a rather famous individual.

At age 21 the Kentuckian married a sister of the Bent brothers of later Bent’s Fort fame. She died after only three years of marriage. The couple had two children.

At age 27, the Kentuckian married the granddaughter of Daniel Boone who was a frequent visitor to Fort Osage prior to his death in 1820. The couple’s children have been described as many and information from one source indicates there may have been as many as sixteen. One of his numerous sons would become somewhat famous for founding a town in the southwest that had an unusual name.

When the factory system was abolished in 1822 the Kentuckian along with George Sibley, and another man purchased the government supply of trade goods at Fort Osage and continued trading with the Indians.

In just a short time later, the Kentuckian developed a taste for politics and would ultimately be elected to prominent office in two states.

He passed away at age 64.

Who was this famous guy?

Old 12-20-2014, 08:41 AM

The 1904 Jackson County Plat map shows the terminal where we expect it. I think the map I showed earlier (Bell's Map) lacked a bit in accuracy in several areas.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:51 AM

The entirety of Independence in 1904. There are several details that stand out:
-A now major street labeled with a name I don't think we have discussed here.
-All RR Depots, including the Narrow Gauge Station.
-What can you find?

Old 12-20-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
The 1904 Jackson County Plat map shows the terminal where we expect it. I think the map I showed earlier (Bell's Map) lacked a bit in accuracy in several areas.

In this map, it looks like Crisp Lake is just south of the former Fairmount Park Lake. The map seems to place the Fairmount Lake a little further west than previously thought.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
The entirety of Independence in 1904. There are several details that stand out:
-A now major street labeled with a name I don't think we have discussed here.
-All RR Depots, including the Narrow Gauge Station.
-What can you find?

Harmony Street has been renamed Noland but it still ends at Walnut and resumes at Short.

I think the narrow gauge had been widened to standard gauge a number of years before in 1882.

Blue Road is shown as going straight through whereas the Sanborn maps in 1916 show it (now Van Horn) as ending at Spring and taking back up at Main as Spring Branch.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
In this map, it looks like Crisp Lake is just south of the former Fairmount Park Lake. The map seems to place the Fairmount Lake a little further west than previously thought.
Good catch, this view shows a lake east of Northern Blvd. The current lake is west of Northern. Later today I'll recheck the map for another lake.

Quote:
Harmony Street has been renamed Noland but it still ends at Walnut and resumes at Short.

I think the narrow gauge had been widened to standard gauge a number of years before in 1882.

Blue Road is shown as going straight through whereas the Sanborn maps in 1916 show it (now Van Horn) as ending at Spring and taking back up at Main as Spring Branch.
Good job so far, but there is at least one more major name change you haven't found.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:39 AM

While searching for something completely different I came across this map. This is a 1940 Jackson County Assessor's map.

Oh, I should note that it is turned; north is on the left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City