Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2014, 01:24 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchs61 View Post
You are correct, it was a 1953 Nash, and the car on the other side of the Chevy is a 1951 Nash. The 51 (AKA upside down bathtub) was a 3 speed column shift that was supposed to be my dad's fishing car but was mine mainly after I turned 16 and got my license. I took my drivers test on my 16th birthday in that 51 Nash. Barely passed the driving test with a 72 (70 was passing). My dad dropped me and the car off at the DMV (or whatever they were called back then) in Independence while he took a bus to work in KC. I guess I would've had to hitchhike home if I flunked. Most, if not all, of the Nash's front seats would fold all the way down flat for sleeping. The 51's passenger side broke and wouldn't stay up so I put a rock under the seat to keep it up. I took a girl to the highway 40 drive-in and the rock broke during the movie and she flopped down. I had a hard time convincing her that I hadn't planned for that to happen.

I don't remember 71 bypass being called zero highway, but I do remember the rough entrance road. I used to sit under the bridge and listen to the cars passing overhead.
Were you familiar with the roller coaster seven hills? It was further east past 7 Highway off Truman or FF highway.

The driver testing place was on Liberty Street about two blocks north of Truman. I scored 74 on the driving test. I think the state patrolman doing the judging was biased against snot nosed kids starting out to drive. I was warned that by other WCHS folks who went before me. He gave me my score before he started berating me for my driving sins. I just sat there and said "yes sir" and "no sir" but felt good because I passed. The lady who started this Independence thread said all she had to do was pay $2 and she had a license. This would have been around '51 or '52 I am guessing.

You might remember the dangerous narrow bridge off Truman going up what was then called Kiger Road going south towards 23rd Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 01:36 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times
Just this side of the photo with the two Nash cars, was a mom and pop grocery store sitting on the north side of Truman.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:37 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
A couple of additional views of 1904:

This one is for MRG Dallas...

And this one for the new "kid", showing the area east of M-291...

Also, it looks like this is in the area of N. Ferguson Springs Rd, which I traversed looking for remnants of Peacedale. Can you confirm, Dr. Mapp?

Old 12-21-2014, 01:42 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
A 1957 Chevy and a Nash Ambassador (could be an early Nash Rambler, though)--what a combination. It looks like a Nash on the other side of the Chevy, also.

At the bridge this side going up to left was the bone jarring automobile path that went from Truman up to 71-Bypass or zero highway. I am not sure when zero highway became 71 Bypass.

I recall the strip being painted for drag on M-78 or 23rd. A strip on Pink Hill Road was also painted for drag.

That Little Nash Rambler (Beep! Beep!)

Old 12-21-2014, 02:11 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,479,996 times
Quote:
You might remember the dangerous narrow bridge off Truman going up what was then called Kiger Road going south towards 23rd Street.
For WCHS '61, I posted a long series of photos covering Truman Road, M-291, Noland, Kiger, Lee's Summit, and possibly others as they appeared in the early 1980s before widening projects. They begin fairly early in this thread, maybe around page 100 +-80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Also, it looks like this is in the area of N. Ferguson Springs Rd, which I traversed looking for remnants of Peacedale. Can you confirm, Dr. Mapp?
Confirmed, it is the same piece of property we discussed during your visit.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:20 PM

For the new guy, this is how your neighborhood looked in 1963.

Soon I'll have a view from 1957...

Old 12-21-2014, 02:37 PM

It is soon already! Your 'hood in 1957. I think I see you in the yard...

Old 12-21-2014, 02:45 PM

26 posts, read 21,951 times
Quote:
Were you familiar with the roller coaster seven hills? It was further east past 7 Highway off Truman or FF highway.

The driver testing place was on Liberty Street about two blocks north of Truman. I scored 74 on the driving test. I think the state patrolman doing the judging was biased against snot nosed kids starting out to drive. I was warned that by other WCHS folks who went before me. He gave me my score before he started berating me for my driving sins. I just sat there and said "yes sir" and "no sir" but felt good because I passed. The lady who started this Independence thread said all she had to do was pay $2 and she had a license. This would have been around '51 or '52 I am guessing.

Yes I remember the roller coaster 7 hills. As I recall the speed limit was 70 going over those hills. Fun... There was a grocery store right next to the turnoff to the "hills" as I recall but it's long since gone.

Yes I remember that bridge. There was another bridge over a creek or something about 1/2 mile west of Kiger road on Truman Road heading toward Independence. I think I remember a kid getting killed there in a car wreck in the late 50's or early 60's while I was still in school.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
It is soon already! Your 'hood in 1957. I think I see you in the yard...

You do see me! Yep that's definitely my place. That white area west of my place was where the rock crusher would store piles of gravel for later loading on the freight train. I used to play in those piles.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:51 PM

[quote=Mad Anthonie;37723297]For WCHS '61, I posted a long series of photos covering Truman Road, M-291, Noland, Kiger, Lee's Summit, and possibly others as they appeared in the early 1980s before widening projects. They begin fairly early in this thread, maybe around page 100 +-80.

I'll search back and take a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City