Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2014, 10:30 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Now, today, The Examiner says a body was found near the four lane bridge at M-291 and Truman.
Actually that discovery was made last week, off the NE ramps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 10:50 AM

26 posts, read 21,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Hum.... Might be the old 'hood is not a very nice place these days. Back in the day people would dump off unwanted cats and dogs around there but never bodies. My mother would get upset whenever I would bring an animal home. They usually didn't last very long though, they would get hit by a car. I buried several. Cars traveled pretty fast on Truman.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:52 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times
Quote:

I heard Sharon Kinne was behind it.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:43 PM

Today's map posting has nothing to do with Sharon Kinne (however, she probably traveled some of these streets).

This snippet from 1904 should interest Casey and WCHS '59.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Today's map posting has nothing to do with Sharon Kinne (however, she probably traveled some of these streets).

From this map, it is easy to see how Stayton, Rogers, and Hocker Streets got their name.

Directly north of Eden Park (on the larger map at page 732) was something called EAST INDEPENDENCE on the south side of Independence Ave.

This East Independence is different from the East Independence that was on the north side of Truman Road further east of the M-291 bridge over Truman Road.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:36 PM

908 posts, read 724,727 times
Quote:

Okay, this appears to look familiar to me, but my foggybrainitus may prove me wrong.

My guess is that the road towards the top of the map was Walnut and it deadended into South Kiger. Later it was expanded to the east of Kiger, but that was in the future. The street that was by the "U" in the Missouri part of Missouri Pacific R. R. was Crane and on the north side of Walnut there was to become Cairn's Flowers. I further believe that in the late 1940s to mid-1950s, there was a farm just south of the railroad tracks and east of South Kiger, where the C.W. Vittum place was.

That's just a guess on my part. I'm wondering if that is East Alton on the south part of the map. If you look very carefully, you might even see the future site of Brown's establishments and even that old C&J Market.

Do you agree WCH?

Old 12-23-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
Okay, this appears to look familiar to me, but my foggybrainitus may prove me wrong.

My guess is that the road towards the top of the map was Walnut and it deadended into South Kiger. Later it was expanded to the east of Kiger, but that was in the future. The street that was by the "U" in the Missouri part of Missouri Pacific R. R. was Crane and on the north side of Walnut there was to become Cairn's Flowers. I further believe that in the late 1940s to mid-1950s, there was a farm just south of the railroad tracks and east of South Kiger, where the C.W. Vittum place was.

That's just a guess on my part. I'm wondering if that is East Alton on the south part of the map. If you look very carefully, you might even see the future site of Brown's establishments and even that old C&J Market.

Do you agree WCH?
I am thinking the part by the "I" was where the north-south Crane would intersect Walnut in the future and right there on the north of Walnut would be the future Cairns.

The "U" is where I would place the rails crossing present day Hunter Street.

That east-west road just under "COMPTON PARK" would appear to be Pacific Ave--it never was cut through east.

And the next east-west road that goes part way through EDEN PARK would appear to be Hayward.

That southern most east-west road does appear to be Alton but as we have seen just recently, that may be Warwick Avenue rather than Alton.

Having said that, something looks a little awkward--that only time would cure, chuckle.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:29 AM

That is Walnut & Kiger just above "Howe". The Vittum property (35.1 acres) would later be the Casey farm.

I also notice that although Compton Park was platted, most of its streets were never built. This map is the official Jackson County Plat map, so that would account for the discrepancy.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:26 AM

908 posts, read 724,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I am thinking the part by the "I" was where the north-south Crane would intersect Walnut in the future and right there on the north of Walnut would be the future Cairns.

The "U" is where I would place the rails crossing present day Hunter Street.

That east-west road just under "COMPTON PARK" would appear to be Pacific Ave--it never was cut through east.

And the next east-west road that goes part way through EDEN PARK would appear to be Hayward.

That southern most east-west road does appear to be Alton but as we have seen just recently, that may be Warwick Avenue rather than Alton.

Having said that, something looks a little awkward--that only time would cure, chuckle.
I did goof on Crane. If one was on Walnut heading east and you make the turn onto Crane would you cross the tracks on Walnut and then again on Crane? If not, then the first "I" in Missouri would be correct. If yes, wouldn't Crane be by the first "S"?

Warwick Ave.? I must have missed that conversation.

What are the black squares on the map? Are they residences?

I agree with you on the Pacific, but not sure on the Hayward.

Looking at the line on the far right side of the map, where would Queen Ridge be from that line?

I was always told that our land covered 40 acres. Now wonder if that was correct or if the northern portion of the farm north of the creek was added later, as it went to the border of the land owned by Stewart Sand and was north of the land owned by Williamsons.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
I did goof on Crane. If one was on Walnut heading east and you make the turn onto Crane would you cross the tracks on Walnut and then again on Crane? If not, then the first "I" in Missouri would be correct. If yes, wouldn't Crane be by the first "S"?

Warwick Ave.? I must have missed that conversation.

What are the black squares on the map? Are they residences?

I agree with you on the Pacific, but not sure on the Hayward.

Looking at the line on the far right side of the map, where would Queen Ridge be from that line?

I was always told that our land covered 40 acres. Now wonder if that was correct or if the northern portion of the farm north of the creek was added later, as it went to the border of the land owned by Stewart Sand and was north of the land owned by Williamsons.

I pasted this again.

You are right about crossing the RR on Walnut then turning south on Crane and crossing the RR again.

I interpreted the long north-south street in EDEN PARK next to Mary E Cook to be Logan as it went from 23rd north to Hayward plus a few yards to end at Spring Branch. The next street east from Logan would be Crane which lines up, more or less, with the "I" but does not allow for the double crossing that we speak of. That is why I said something looked a little awkward.

The next north-south street east of Crane would be Raymond and then the next my old street of Harkless, which lines up with Hunter although the two have never converged on each other as shown here. In my day Harkless was just a single block street. Harkless, today, is cut through just enough for a duplex and then dead ends before hitting the "new" park.

If you recall, on Army terrain maps those squares would be houses or buildings of some type. Sure were not very many in 1904, were there? Our house was not built on Harkless until 1939.

Hayward is the next east-west road south of Pacific.

The three east most blocks on Pacific just south of N. Rogers property had houses on the Hayward side but the north ends of these blocks were vacant in my youth and there was no Pacific Street there.

On the Hayward side, one of the houses on the northeast corner of Crane and Hayward was vacant and in ruins and the next one east did not fare much better. The first one may have been torn down before I left the area and the land is now a part of the park. I noticed the second one has been replaced with a duplex. Also, when we first moved to Harkless in 1948, there was a wood sidewalk on the north side of Hayward extending east almost to Raymond. It disappeared early on.

Pacific did not go from Crane to Hunter back then but it does today and forms the north boundary for that park.

Also, between Hayward and Pacific on Crane was Spring Branch Creek, which started a bit further west in the cemetery.

The next east-west Street south of Hayward would be Sea. And, that slight jog going west at Logan still exists today.

I could not say anything about Queen Ridge.

I pasted the larger map that has Warwick in place of Alton.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City