Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2014, 09:43 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
The entirety of Independence in 1904. There are several details that stand out:
-A now major street labeled with a name I don't think we have discussed here.
-All RR Depots, including the Narrow Gauge Station.
-What can you find?

What road (or other boundary) form the small N. portion in the far upper NW section, where the McCauley and Pugsley properties are? Willis? Forest?

Interesting to see they lay of the land @ IA/River, where a half century later would be my beloved 24 Hiway SC and Dari-Gold drive-in was
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 10:11 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
Quote:
Good catch, this view shows a lake east of Northern Blvd. The current lake is west of Northern. Later today I'll recheck the map for another lake.

Good job so far, but there is at least one more major name change you haven't found.
Rock Street is Maple.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
While searching for something completely different I came across this map. This is a 1940 Jackson County Assessor's map.

Oh, I should note that it is turned; north is on the left.
This shows the rails still going to Maple and Osage and I thought the line was closed from the area east of Truman and Sterling to Maple and Osage back in the 20s.

I would imagine they tore out the rails back to that area during WWII for scrap metal, maybe.

In the lower left of the photo is an automobile bridge on River Blvd going over the tracks. It looks like River was filled in since that area of the street looks to be "level" today.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:34 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
What road (or other boundary) form the small N. portion in the far upper NW section, where the McCauley and Pugsley properties are? Willis? Forest?

Interesting to see they lay of the land @ IA/River, where a half century later would be my beloved 24 Hiway SC and Dari-Gold drive-in was
That is just east of where Crysler ends at Independence Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Rock Street is Maple.
There is another major street still shown on the 1904 map with a name previously unknown (at least in my memory).

Quote:
This shows the rails still going to Maple and Osage and I thought the line was closed from the area east of Truman and Sterling to Maple and Osage back in the 20s.

I would imagine they tore out the rails back to that area during WWII for scrap metal, maybe.

In the lower left of the photo is an automobile bridge on River Blvd going over the tracks. It looks like River was filled in since that area of the street looks to be "level" today.
If you have time to search I recall SilverDoc posting that his GF or uncle (Butcher Realty) was involved in selling the old right-of-way.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:10 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:

My brain woke up, so now I have more info!

Both the bridge on River and the bridge on College were still there in my youth. The one on River was taken out in the early 70s when River was improved, probably as part of Urban Renewal. The College bridge lasted at least into the 90s. At both locations the RR cut was filled in. However, there are numerous spots along the ROW where the grade is evident.

The Air Line ended operation in 1922. The Depot was used for other businesses until being razed in 1926 to make way for the Johnson Building (still standing). In 1944 the KCS advertised the sale of numerous parcels of property along the old ROW, at which time the remaining rails were removed.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:47 PM

26 posts, read 21,935 times
Default Just discovered this forum

I accidentally discovered this forum today and after reading several of the postings I think this is one I want to join. I was born in Kansas City in 1943 but my earliest memories are in Independence out on Truman Road east of 291. I graduated from WCHS in 1961. I live in South Carolina now but I would like to talk about some of the things I remember for my time there.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchs61 View Post
I accidentally discovered this forum today and after reading several of the postings I think this is one I want to join. I was born in Kansas City in 1943 but my earliest memories are in Independence out on Truman Road east of 291. I graduated from WCHS in 1961. I live in South Carolina now but I would like to talk about some of the things I remember for my time there.
Good deal. The more the merrier. Silver Doc was from that area also. He has not been on here in a while though. Let's have some memories.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
My brain woke up, so now I have more info!

Both the bridge on River and the bridge on College were still there in my youth. The one on River was taken out in the early 70s when River was improved, probably as part of Urban Renewal. The College bridge lasted at least into the 90s. At both locations the RR cut was filled in. However, there are numerous spots along the ROW where the grade is evident.

The Air Line ended operation in 1922. The Depot was used for other businesses until being razed in 1926 to make way for the Johnson Building (still standing). In 1944 the KCS advertised the sale of numerous parcels of property along the old ROW, at which time the remaining rails were removed.
I dont remember either. It appears that there are houses built on the River fill in.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Rock Street is Maple.
There is what appears to be Warwick Street in place of Alton-23rd. I dont believe we have discussed that street.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post

That small western boundary in the north looks like the end of the McCauley and Pugsely properties. There does not appear to be a street there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City