Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2013, 07:07 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
When did William Chrisman drop ROTC?
They still had it in my day, but I think it ended soon after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
So what years did you go there? I went there from '67-'69.
I was in the only graduating class at WCHS to receive two tassles, one of which was red, white, and blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
That spot now is occupied by a "Higher Ground Hotel" which fascinates me, a hotel at that location. Looks like a decent place and advertises itself as a block from Truman's "childhood" (sic) home Did Truman grow up there, I always thought it was his "adult" residence

BTW, I do remember those sorta creepy old apt buildings just to the east of the high school. Sometimes we'd step inside the front door (I think the mailboxes were just inside) Don't ever remember seeing anyone there, always kind of dark and quiet . . .ie, "creepy" Both buildings are rather deep and housed 19 units each (per Polk's 1960), so there were pretty good sized. The Maplewood Apts (the one closest to the HS) housed mostly females. My recollection of the houses along those blocks of W. Maple were many of them were apts. and lots of single older women residing there. Since divorce wasn't so prevalent back then, I thought most of them were either old maids or widows. The big house next to my GPs had about eight units. Everyone pretty much kept to themselves. No problems, just people living their single lives quietly.
Truman's boyhood home is more than a block away, at the SE corner of Waldo & River.
The creepy apartments were renovated a few years ago. I have never been inside.

With the designation of historical district many of the old homes that had been cut up into apartments have been restored to single family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 08:29 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

The ROTC started at William Chrisman in 1934 as a result of the efforts of Harry S Truman and other members of the Tirey J Ford American Legion post. The ROTC classrooms and the offices for the regular army personnel were in the basement of the new building on Highway 24. The armory, additional training area, and the rifle range were in the sub basement. When I attended, very few students, other than ROTC, knew of the sub basement.

The rifle range in the old building on Maple was under the boys gymnasium as near as I can recall with ROTC offices and classrooms off the south and east Lexington Street entrance to the school.
Right now I cannot recall where the armory was located.

At the time, military trainers were actually active duty people who rotated in and out on a three year basis, much as happens today at colleges. At some point, after I graduated I think the entire junior ROTC program nationwide was downgraded and retired personnel were hired by school districts as regular teachers. I think this happened as a result of the Vietnam War and the backlash from that war. I am not even sure if the junior program even has rifles or other weaponry anymore.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:59 AM

778 posts, read 1,024,410 times
Quote:

I was in the only graduating class at WCHS to receive two tassles, one of which was red, white, and blue.

So...ya ain't tellin', huh?

Old 01-20-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Most every WCHS student who had a car hung a pair of perhaps three inch square fuzzy fabric dice from the rear view mirror through both years that I drove in high school.

After high school, the in thing was to hang the graduation tassel from the rear view mirror.
There was always some talk of a safety issue but I never knew of anyone who was stopped for either of these fads.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Remember when they tore down the church across the street? I watched them tearing it down during first hour, since that class was at the front of the building.
I dont remember that church either, but I am betting if I saw a photo I would remember it.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
BTW, I do remember those sorta creepy old apt buildings just to the east of the high school. Sometimes we'd step inside the front door (I think the mailboxes were just inside) Don't ever remember seeing anyone there, always kind of dark and quiet . . .ie, "creepy" Both buildings are rather deep and housed 19 units each (per Polk's 1960), so there were pretty good sized. The Maplewood Apts (the one closest to the HS) housed mostly females. My recollection of the houses along those blocks of W. Maple were many of them were apts. and lots of single older women residing there. Since divorce wasn't so prevalent back then, I thought most of them were either old maids or widows. The big house next to my GPs had about eight units. Everyone pretty much kept to themselves. No problems, just people living their single lives quietly.
Miss Nora Witthar, chemistry teacher and Miss Ellis Clement, physics and math teacher lived in one or the other of those buildings.

I remember a good number of these teachers:

William Chrisman High School In Memoriam Faculty & Staff

Joseph Benson was principal at the old school on Maple the only year I went there in 1956-57. I believe he became the principal when the new school opened in the 57-58 school year.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I hear ya! The "MapleWood" at 701, and the "Maples" at 625. There was another hotel at 520 (I think that's the address) that was just recently converted back to a private residence.
That place at 520 w Maple was called, at least at one time, the Three Trails Hotel.

I vaguely recall when it was opened under that name but cannot recall if it was a real hotel or a bed and breakfast type.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:

What year did you graduate?

Old 01-20-2013, 10:49 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:
So...ya ain't tellin', huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
What year did you graduate?
Y'all need a new mystery to solve, so my graduation year is it. I have already revealed enough for the discerning mind to figure it out!

Old 01-20-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
That spot now is occupied by a "Higher Ground Hotel" which fascinates me, a hotel at that location. Looks like a decent place and advertises itself as a block from Truman's "childhood" (sic) home Did Truman grow up there, I always thought it was his "adult" residence
I never knew about this hotel until I drove by it a few years ago. I was sort of disbelieving a hotel could get by in an out of the way place like this.

I would be curious if they get a lot of out of town church traffic.

I recall seeing on the Examiner web site over the past several months where they applied to the city for a liquor by the drink license and were turned down. Rates are from 75 to a little over $100 depending on the time of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City