Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2013, 11:18 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
That place at 520 w Maple was called, at least at one time, the Three Trails Hotel.

I vaguely recall when it was opened under that name but cannot recall if it was a real hotel or a bed and breakfast type.
In the days of my youth it was more of an extended stay sort of place, but I rarely had to send the cops over, so their clientele must have been well-behaved. At one time My Beloved and I toured part of it while new owners were refurbishing, perhaps in the late 80s or early 90s.

Quote:
I never knew about this hotel until I drove by it a few years ago. I was sort of disbelieving a hotel could get by in an out of the way place like this.

I would be curious if they get a lot of out of town church traffic.

I recall seeing on the Examiner web site over the past several months where they applied to the city for a liquor by the drink license and were turned down. Rates are from 75 to a little over $100 depending on the time of the week.
It is more of a B&B type place. It is popular with some church ladies groups for retreats, and with some tourists for its proximity to historical attractions. At one time the building was the Center Stake Office for the RLDS church. Perhaps that explains its current name.

If y'all jump back to the 1868 Bird's Eye map of good ol' Independence you'll find a church in that block, number 14 on that map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 11:39 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Y'all need a new mystery to solve, so my graduation year is it. I have already revealed enough for the discerning mind to figure it out!

Way too easy, MAD !! I won't even have to wild guess "Lee's Summit Rd" for this one lol.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
In the days of my youth it was more of an extended stay sort of place, but I rarely had to send the cops over, so their clientele must have been well-behaved. At one time My Beloved and I toured part of it while new owners were refurbishing, perhaps in the late 80s or early 90s.

It is more of a B&B type place. It is popular with some church ladies groups for retreats, and with some tourists for its proximity to historical attractions. At one time the building was the Center Stake Office for the RLDS church. Perhaps that explains its current name.

If y'all jump back to the 1868 Bird's Eye map of good ol' Independence you'll find a church in that block, number 14 on that map.

Yeah I was kind of stunned by discovering the hotel also. But it does make some sense for the history buffs that would like B&B places. Wouldn't mind checking it out on my next trip there.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Miss Nora Witthar, chemistry teacher and Miss Ellis Clement, physics and math teacher lived in one or the other of those buildings.

I remember a good number of these teachers:

William Chrisman High School In Memoriam Faculty & Staff

Joseph Benson was principal at the old school on Maple the only year I went there in 1956-57. I believe he became the principal when the new school opened in the 57-58 school year.
Well that explains the abundance of older ladies in the neighborhood, certainly makes sense for teachers to live near the school and with all the shopping/conveniences so near by. No wonder the place was creepy, all those teachers living there lol. I can almost hear the rulers slapping the desks!

I saw a couple more names from the list at the Maplewood Apts. With all the rentals close to the HS, I'm sure many others were within short walking distance to work.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Way too easy, MAD !! I won't even have to wild guess "Lee's Summit Rd" for this one lol.
Yeah, prove it! I double-dog dare you!!!

Old 01-20-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah, prove it! I double-dog dare you!!!

Ok . I'll take that bet . . btw, did you happen to "buy" any souvenirs at the Truman "Centennial" in 1984?

Old 01-20-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Ok . I'll take that bet . . btw, did you happen to "buy" any souvenirs at the Truman "Centennial" in 1984?
Nope, but I wish I had. Once again my frugality interfered...

Old 01-20-2013, 06:12 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
I missed the centennial completely. In fact did not know that it had occurred until MRG mentioned it and then went searching.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:

Hmmm...looks like my play on words failed. "Buy" "Centennial" = red white and blue tassel ?

Old 01-20-2013, 07:16 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,410 times
Quote:
Quote:
Hmmm...looks like my play on words failed. "Buy" "Centennial" = red white and blue tassel ?

Was the play on words an attempt to draw out the answer to the mystery question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City