Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 03:01 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Well, initially, I was thinking of 291 looking north from Sunset Dr. Then, your second photos seemed to confirm it, but, the third pic threw me a bit, because of what looks like a traffic light just north of where the road narrows. At any rate, I'll go with my original thought, and say the photo is looking north up 291 past Truman. That's my w.a.g., and I'm sticking to it!
If you are on the right track, that would be Truman Road going underneath M-291 from the west where the roadway narrows and just north of that bridge coming from the west would be that dangerous one lane access from Truman up to M-291. The M-291 roadway was not widened by the turn lane there though when I was familiar with the area.

And that would apparently be a Geospace sign on the hill to the west?

Last edited by WCHS'59; 01-22-2013 at 03:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
If you are on the right track, that would be Truman Road going underneath M-291 from the west where the roadway narrows and just north of that bridge coming from the west would be that dangerous one lane access from Truman up to M-291. The M-291 roadway was not widened by the turn lane there though when I was familiar with the area.

I just noticed on Google Earth that there is a large green sign on M-291 northbound saying "Graceland University, Next Right."

"Next Right" meaning Truman Road. That sign is about four miles from the university, which is next to the old hospital on West Truman. I dont believe there are any other signs saying "Graceland" anywhere between that M-291 sign and the university.

I have also noticed that there is a large green sign on I-70 east just before Noland Road that says "AMTRAK Station next right." Then there are no further signs between that sign and the station indicating an AMTRAK station is anywhere around town.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:47 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
Well, initially, I was thinking of 291 looking north from Sunset Dr. Then, your second photos seemed to confirm it, but, the third pic threw me a bit, because of what looks like a traffic light just north of where the road narrows. At any rate, I'll go with my original thought, and say the photo is looking north up 291 past Truman. That's my w.a.g., and I'm sticking to it!
Quote:

You got it! The access road to Truman from M-291 had been improved by the time this was taken. It was upgraded to a narrow 2-lane, and the traffic light added. Before those improvements this was a constant accident location.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:06 PM

778 posts, read 1,025,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
You got it! The access road to Truman from M-291 had been improved by the time this was taken. It was upgraded to a narrow 2-lane, and the traffic light added. Before those improvements this was a constant accident location.
Good deal! Sometimes a w.a.g. works! I had forgotten how you accessed Truman from 291 and vice versa. Funny how a person remembers some things, (like the old rodeo grounds) and totally forgets others.

Another "constant accident location" was where Shrank Rd. crossed 291. Coming up from Shrank from the west side to either pull onto 291, or cross over the highway, could be a real bear!

Old 01-22-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Good deal! Sometimes a w.a.g. works! I had forgotten how you accessed Truman from 291 and vice versa. Funny how a person remembers some things, (like the old rodeo grounds) and totally forgets others.

Another "constant accident location" was where Shrank Rd. crossed 291. Coming up from Shrank from the west side to either pull onto 291, or cross over the highway, could be a real bear!
While I was in high school that access road appeared not to be paved and was full of pot holes. I remember my car rattling every time I drove it--and, of course, I was always in a hurry. I also want to say that that access road was initially punched out by motorists trying to get up to the original Zero Highway, but that may or may not be totally accurate. Once you got to the top at Zero Highway or once you got to the bottom at Truman, I don't recall a stop sign.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Before the rodeo grounds were across the road out there, they were at Crysler Stadium.

That Police Rodeo had to be the biggest event to occur in Independence at the time and the event grew to need larger grounds.

Cars were lined up along Zero Highway or US 71 Bypass or M-291 as far as the eye could see to get in. Both entering and exiting the grounds required a long wait.
Good thing the police were there to direct traffic, chuckle.

I saw one performance at Crysler Stadium but cannot recall anything about the traffic. I watched several performances out there. One year Jack Lord was the attraction star. He was famous at the time for playing the title role in Stoney Burke and later in Hawaii Five O.

After moving out there, the public apparently tired of watching guys get bucked off animals and the show faded into history.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Before the rodeo grounds were across the road out there, they were at Crysler Stadium.

That Police Rodeo had to be the biggest event to occur in Independence at the time and the event grew to need larger grounds.

Cars were lined up along Zero Highway or US 71 Bypass or M-291 as far as the eye could see to get in. Both entering and exiting the grounds required a long wait.
Good thing the police were there to direct traffic, chuckle.

I saw one performance at Crysler Stadium but cannot recall anything about the traffic. I watched several performances out there. One year Jack Lord was the attraction star. He was famous at the time for playing the title role in Stoney Burke and later in Hawaii Five O.

After moving out there, the public apparently tired of watching guys get bucked off animals and the show faded into history.

It's funny you should mention Jack Lord. The first and only time I had ever gone to the old rodeo grounds on 71 Bypass, Jack Lord was the attraction that night! I remember him riding by on a horse in his Stoney Burke outfit with my younger brother and I standing at the fence waiting for him to ride by. My brother had his fingers in the fence, when he got them stepped on by the other kids that climbed it to see better. I recall the giant Lee jeans hanging from the light poles, and wondered how they made jeans that big! Never did find out what they were really made of! Also, when the old grounds closed, the Independence School District bought the old bleachers and installed them at the football field at WCHS.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
It's funny you should mention Jack Lord. The first and only time I had ever gone to the old rodeo grounds on 71 Bypass, Jack Lord was the attraction that night! I remember him riding by on a horse in his Stoney Burke outfit with my younger brother and I standing at the fence waiting for him to ride by. My brother had his fingers in the fence, when he got them stepped on by the other kids that climbed it to see better. I recall the giant Lee jeans hanging from the light poles, and wondered how they made jeans that big! Never did find out what they were really made of! Also, when the old grounds closed, the Independence School District bought the old bleachers and installed them at the football field at WCHS.
I always thought those huge jeans were made of real denim.

I dont remember much about Jack Lord the night I attended except that he directed the spotlight on himself much to the laughter of some in the audience. He sang and danced in that spotlight and even twirled a rope, I think.

That is interesting, I never realized where the school district got their bleachers.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I always thought those huge jeans were made of real denim.

I dont remember much about Jack Lord the night I attended except that he directed the spotlight on himself much to the laughter of some in the audience. He sang and danced in that spotlight and even twirled a rope, I think.

That is interesting, I never realized where the school district got their bleachers.
Well, at least I thought they weren't made of denim, maybe they were. I do know though, that I thought they were real, at least at the time. Seems like my Dad said otherwise. Did a bad storm come through when you saw "Stoney"? One did when we saw him. It blew, rained, thundered...etc.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Well, at least I thought they weren't made of denim, maybe they were. I do know though, that I thought they were real, at least at the time. Seems like my Dad said otherwise. Did a bad storm come through when you saw "Stoney"? One did when we saw him. It blew, rained, thundered...etc.
I seem to recall it. I remember the "ringmaster" or whoever was in charge of the show production got on the microphone and yelled at the people manning the spotlights to cover them up fast as they cost a lot of money that he did not want to lose. I dont remember getting wet though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City