Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2012, 05:45 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Back when I still worked at Hemco, (again, in the early 70's) there were a few old Rolls, and I think an old Ford nose or two for the old VWs still laying around. I don't remember us making them at the time, though. We were making mainly Kenworth fenders, cabs, instrument housings, and other assorted bits and pieces.
The Ford nose was probably modeled on the 1937 Ford, which I have seen as another popular hood accessory for the Bug. I recall an article in The Examiner way back when about the Rolls hood but I don't think there was a mention of Ford in that article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 05:47 PM

778 posts, read 1,026,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Someone in that area of Truman Road, a new partnership I believe, in the 1960s manufactured an alternate front hood treatment and rear "trunk" for a Volkswagen bug.

Both the front and backs were based on the Rolls Royce design. Here is a photo of a bug with the front end, although I think there were other companies across the US involved with their manufacture as well.

Here's a photo of the 30's Ford front end on a VW:
Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-bug-30s-ford-front-end.jpg  

Old 12-11-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I have photos from two or three years ago, that shows the lot empty, but I did notice lately, a few buses lurking around there. (If I can figure out how to resize my photos, I'll post them.)
I think those buses belong to the Apple Bus Company.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:

Here's a photo of the 30's Ford front end on a VW:
Both the Ford and Rolls hoods for the Bug were made of fiberglass, I do believe.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I think those buses belong to the Apple Bus Company.

Yep! Apple Bus Company 2341 S Woodland Ave, Independence, MO 64050 (Where Pace used to be)

"Apple Bus is a Kansas City area based transportation company with operations in four states"

Old 12-11-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Both the Ford and Rolls hoods for the Bug were made of fiberglass, I do believe.

The ones made at Hemco, were. Hemco specialized (and may still today) in fiberglass products. Boy, did I have to scratch a lot when I worked there!

Old 12-11-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:

East Truman Road?
SilverDoc, you could be right. Perhaps just a little way east from where Lee's Summit Road crosses Truman.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:54 PM

Anyone remember Home Comfort Products (I think that was the name) that manufactured mattresses at Lexington and Dodgion Street? They were in business for quite a while. Their mattresses seemed to be available in all the furniture stores in Independence but they shipped out by rail also.

On my last trip to Independence I heard a train coming near the Walnut Street and Crane branch line crossing. I love watching trains at crossings--or anywhere else for that matter. I could not get to the crossing from the location I was at in time to see the train pass so I speeded up and drove towards town. I parked at the old mattress manufacturing building to watch the train cross Dodgion.

The speed limit must be 5 mph on that branch as it seemed like forever before the train arrived at the Dodgion crossing. Dodgion is only five or six blocks from Walnut and Crane.

There were two engines pulling three box cars. First time I have seen box cars on that branch line in a long time, but then I have not been around much in the last fifty years. Two of the box cars were labeled "US Army." I assumed that the Army was storing something out there at the underground storage and was pulling the stuff out for whatever reason. Two engines, though, for three box cars. Could not believe it.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Anyone remember Home Comfort Products (I think that was the name) that manufactured mattresses at Lexington and Dodgion Street? They were in business for quite a while. Their mattresses seemed to be available in all the furniture stores in Independence but they shipped out by rail also.

On my last trip to Independence I heard a train coming near the Walnut Street and Crane branch line crossing. I love watching trains at crossings--or anywhere else for that matter. I could not get to the crossing from the location I was at in time to see the train pass so I speeded up and drove towards town. I parked at the old mattress manufacturing building to watch the train cross Dodgion.

The speed limit must be 5 mph on that branch as it seemed like forever before the train arrived at the Dodgion crossing. Dodgion is only five or six blocks from Walnut and Crane.

There were two engines pulling three box cars. First time I have seen box cars on that branch line in a long time, but then I have not been around much in the last fifty years. Two of the box cars were labeled "US Army." I assumed that the Army was storing something out there at the underground storage and was pulling the stuff out for whatever reason. Two engines, though, for three box cars. Could not believe it.

Could be that they were just moving an extra engine to use in the underground storage area.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:02 AM

The Examiner is mentioning this morning of a new bed and breakfast opening up in 2013 at the historic Stone/Gamble house at 1114 S Noland. The effort is being called the Silver Heart Inn. The house was apparently built in 1852.

Additionally, memberships may be purchased at $1,000 each for an eight night stay at the "beach house" in the rear.

I had never heard of this mansion before but it looks rather historic after seeing a limited front view on Google Maps.

I looked up "Stone" and "Gamble" in Independence & 20th Century Pioneers by Pearl Wilcox and could not find any information.

The Silver Heart Inn also has a website with a news video showing some of the grounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City