Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2014, 06:29 PM

908 posts, read 725,280 times

Advertisements

In case you have not seen this....

Bearer of sad news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 06:49 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
Please don't tell me they are earlier names for Spring Branch Creek.
Well, close, maybe.

The waterway is now known as Little Blue River.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
In case you have not seen this....

Bearer of sad news.
Glad you pointed that out. Would probably not have seen it otherwise. Very sad. She started something big and did not realize it.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Well, close, maybe.

The waterway is now known as Little Blue River.
Whew! I was seriously thinking that I would need a shrink if it had been the Spring Branch Creek. I now feel a tad better.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:08 PM

On August 7, 1808, George C Sibley set out upstream on the Missouri River from St Charles, Mo, with six keel boats and trade goods valued at $20,000. His fleet was headed for a high spot on the Missouri River first visited by Lewis and Clark in 1803.

On August 25, 1808, Brigadier General William Clark [quite a jump from being a captain as recently as the end of 1806] led a company of 80 soldiers, commanded by Captain Eli Clemson, west from St Charles, Mo. Their destination was a rendezvous with George C. Sibley.

Clark’s guide was Daniel Boone’s son Nathan. Boone generally followed the original US 40 right of way.

On September 4 ten days after leaving St. Charles, Clark and his soldiers arrived at a spot 13.3 miles, as the crow flies, northeast of the future Independence square. He immediately posted 25 percent of the company as guards while the remaining men went to work building a fort.

Clark complained in his diary that it was hard to get the men to do construction work.

On September 14, ten days after his arrival, Clark signed a peace treaty with the Little Osage and Big Osage tribal chieftains. He then left down river returning to St Charles. Two weeks later on September 28, “all” the Little Osage and Big Osage tribes gathered at the fort to trade.

On October 8, one thousand Kansas tribal members came to trade at the fort.

The main part of Ft. Osage is essentially a square with one side pointing out. It is fortified by palisades and defended by four blockhouses, one at each corner. Attached to this main part is a palisaded outwork containing the factory and other buildings defended by one larger blockhouse.

From 1948 to about 1961, it took Jackson County thirteen years to reconstruct its version of Fort Osage. Other than a blockhouse, the factory building, and one other building, the palisaded outwork and other related buildings have never been re-constructed.

How long did it take the soldiers to construct their fort?

a. Ten days
b. One month
c. Three months
d. One Year

Most dates and statistics are from Kate L. Gregg, “History of Fort Osage.”

Last edited by WCHS'59; 12-28-2014 at 08:24 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:

When I was a kid I thought the fort [Osage] was a manufacturing place, chuckle. And, when I visited the factory building, I did not understand what they had been making, chuckle.
It was a manufacturing place. In January 1811, four Osage women and a married couple were making candles for 3.5 cents per pound. By July some of candles had reached Washington DC by way of New Orleans. However, the main market was St Louis.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:

How long did it take the soldiers to construct their fort?

a. Ten days
b. One month
c. Three months
d. One Year

Most dates and statistics are from Kate L. Gregg, “History of Fort Osage.”
b.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
On August 25, 1808, Brigadier General William Clark [quite a jump from being a captain as recently as the end of 1806] led a company of 80 soldiers, commanded by Captain Eli Clemson, west from St Charles, Mo. Their destination was a rendezvous with George C. Sibley.

Clark’s guide was Daniel Boone’s son Nathan. Boone generally followed the original US 40 right of way.
Seems like I posted a picture of this just this month from my time in St. Charles.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
b.
c. Three months.

Even that sounds fast to me but I suppose if all you need for the most part is four walls, a roof, a door, a window and a fire place it can go fast. Somewhere, I have read that the reconstruction required the shipping in of white oak logs from some place distant to match the original construction.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:20 AM

60 posts, read 56,775 times
Like WCHS61, I am blown away by the knowledge of Independence I learn here each day. Thanks for keeping it interesting guys. I am also attended of Messisah Lutheran school for five grades in the early 80's. While I was there they constructed the new gymnasium. There was a two room cinder block building just north of the church where the 7th and 8th graders classes met due to space limitations at that time. I haven't paid much attention to see if it is still standing. I am also a Van Horn alum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City