Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 12:25 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddogj View Post
Hello everyone. I'm new here, and was wondering if there was an easier way to navigate this thread. The search doesn't seem to be cooperating for me. I'm looking for information/pictures about Harry Hoy's unfinished boat.....The "Sterling boat".....Pictures of it on Sterling, pictures of the move, why he moved it, when he moved it, etc.....Thanks in advance for any help.

Also, I've seen some mention in these 694 pages of the James gang "Blue Cut" train robbery....Has a positive location of the Blue Cut been agreed upon, and has anyone visited the site? If so, is it worth checking out?

Thanks again.

Jon
Independence, MO
The three robberies were:

October 11, 1879- Eastbound C&A Denver Express robbed at Glendale. (In 1881 William Ryan was found guilty for his participation in this robbery.)

September 7, 1881- Westbound C&A stopped and robbed at Blue Cut, between Glendale and Independence.

October 23, 1896- Westbound C&A stopped and robbed at Blue Cut.

Because of these robberies passengers refused to take any train passing through Glendale. After losing business the RR made the announcement that they no longer went through Glendale. They did not re-route the tracks, they simply renamed the Glendale Station "Selsa".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 08:51 AM

60 posts, read 56,796 times
Does anyone remember a popcorn/cotton candy vendor that used to be on the square? I was very young, but it seems like my mother would get me cotton candy at an enclosed vending cart after we had shopped at Sears Outlet on the square. I remember I thought it was so cool to shop in the basement at Sears.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev 2732 View Post
Does anyone remember a popcorn/cotton candy vendor that used to be on the square? I was very young, but it seems like my mother would get me cotton candy at an enclosed vending cart after we had shopped at Sears Outlet on the square. I remember I thought it was so cool to shop in the basement at Sears.
I remember Sear's Outlet, but can't conjure up any mental images of the candy vendor.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:25 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I remember Sear's Outlet, but can't conjure up any mental images of the candy vendor.
I am thinking the Sears Outlet was where Kresge was formerly located on the southeast corner of Maple and Main. Kresge had two stores on the square beginning in the late '30s, I think. The other store was in the area of the Pharaoh Theater on Maple.

A rather narrow but long furniture store was on the southeast corner of Maple and Main and burned in the late 40's. Kresge was located next door south and suffered no damage. Kresge expanded into the furniture store ruins and took that corner. I was in there a number of times after the rebuild and remember stairs going down to the basement level, but I cannot recall ever going down there.

Later Ted Shoush was in that location with his awning company.

I seem to remember a popcorn guy but have not pulled it out of my RAM yet. It may have been present when Kresge was open, but that could be pushing it a little.

Prior to the outlet, Sears had a mail order store in the 100 S block of Main, I think. One would go in there and order from their catalog. The order would go to the main store in KC and then be trucked to S Main. That would take a couple days or so and one would go back to S Main and pick it up. Wards had a similar mail order operation on the northeast corner of Maple and Osage. For some reason, we always did Wards.

It seems to me that one could also mail an order in to either Wards or Sears and they would mail the item to your home.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Sanborn 1916 maps shows a large brick house at 116 S Pleasant that has a wraparound veranda with a small dog leg on the right as shown in the photo (Sanborn also shows an additional dog leg on the other side out of view in the photo. It is the only home on all of south Pleasant that has a dog leg in the veranda.

116 south is the third home from Lexington on the west side. Sanborn shows that home having a large pitched roof stable or carriage house to its left in the rear. Sanborn’s next home south is a brick home with a straight veranda across the front as in the photo.

As in the photo, Sanborn shows nothing immediately further south. When Sanborn gets to Walnut and further south none of the homes there have wrap around verandas.

Google at 116 S Pleasant shows a three story brick house but there is no veranda. It is the third structure from Lexington on the west side. There is what appears to be a large garage to the left of the house in the rear. However, the architectural details of this home are not similar to the one in the photo. It holds the Serendipity Bed and Breakfast, which the owners say has been there since 1887. There is some mention on the internet that this inn is haunted.

Way back beginning on page 409 we had an extensive discussion of the house at 116 S Pleasant.

Wednesday I took a covered wagon ride around the Independence Square with the historian Ralph narrating. Although I know much about Independence history I still learned much. One of the new facts now residing in my memory is that this house was, at one time, the home of Pearl Wilcox.

P.S. For the newbies, if you click the blue arrow after "WCHS'59" it will take you back to that post.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Way back beginning on page 409 we had an extensive discussion of the house at 116 S Pleasant.

Wednesday I took a covered wagon ride around the Independence Square with the historian Ralph narrating. Although I know much about Independence history I still learned much. One of the new facts now residing in my memory is that this house was, at one time, the home of Pearl Wilcox.

P.S. For the newbies, if you click the blue arrow after "WCHS'59" it will take you back to that post.
I thought MRG had visited that house on Pleasant during a recent trip to Independence and mentioned something about Pearl Wilcox having lived there?

Old 11-01-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I thought MRG had visited that house on Pleasant during a recent trip to Independence and mentioned something about Pearl Wilcox having lived there?
He did indeed visit, but I don't recall that mention.

What sayest Thou Dallas?

Old 11-01-2014, 12:18 PM

Trivia Time!

In days of very old what portion of Independence was home to Benton Lake?

Old 11-01-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Trivia Time!

I will take a SWAG and say the Fairgrounds.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:06 PM

908 posts, read 725,644 times
Quote:
Trivia Time!

Lake Benton is the official name for Lake of the Ozarks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City