Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2020, 04:17 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post
Darned if I know why these little memories remain. Just don't ask me what I had for breakfast! I do remember the Kelseys though...definitely 'hands on', and nice folks. Mrs. K would cruise the dining room greeting and chatting with their guests.

Now, what WAS I supposed to get done today....?
Ironically, I had similar text conversation last evening with a friend in St Louis. He was amazed I could remember the date of his wedding June, 1980 But I admitted I couldn't remember what I did last week.

BTW the Summer of 80 was memorable in several ways. I quit smoking, it was incredibly hot, record breaking hot . . . and The Great George Brett chased .400

Those Damn Phillies . . . but that was the Fall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 05:05 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Paul is the one who became the proprietor of the Tavern turned Restaurant. The family lived in the area very near to MAD's heart (if memory serves) 312 N Pleasant.

We didn't move to that 'hood until 1967, at which time 312 N Pleasant was a parking lot for FBC. I do recall playing there a few times. Several of the boys in the 'hood had the early version of model airplanes which flew at the end of wires. That lot made a nice airfield.

All the years we played in that area we didn't realize that we often rode our bikes on the path of the first RR west of the Mississippi, which ran down the alley (aka McCoy) behind the lot.

Old 05-06-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
We didn't move to that 'hood until 1967, at which time 312 N Pleasant was a parking lot for FBC. I do recall playing there a few times. Several of the boys in the 'hood had the early version of model airplanes which flew at the end of wires. That lot made a nice airfield.

All the years we played in that area we didn't realize that we often rode our bikes on the path of the first RR west of the Mississippi, which ran down the alley (aka McCoy) behind the lot.
I remember those planes I think I even had one. Maybe

Which RR was it? Probably been discussed here before, esp by our friend WCHS who loved RRs. But refresh if so, please

I hear you about not realizing at the time about small worlds or historical twists. I don't think I knew about Blue Ridge Blvd and the Santa Fe Trail connection until after joining this thread and actually getting interested in these things.

Old 05-06-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I remember those planes I think I even had one. Maybe

Which RR was it? Probably been discussed here before, esp by our friend WCHS who loved RRs. But refresh if so, please

T'was the Independence and Wayne City RR, which operated around 1848-52 if'n my feeble memory is working at this late hour. It was built on the cheap, with wooden rails and a 2 mule locomotive.

We also played on the remnants of the Air-Line which ran from The Square to KC. Both old RRs passed through what is now McCoy Park. In my youth the park was still a far-off dream, but the residents of The Neck had all been bought out. The houses had been razed, leaving behind a young boy's ideal playground, remnants of streets, open basements that became ponds, and lots of wild plant growth. Best of all the entire area was closed off to traffic, so we had it all to ourselves.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
T'was the Independence and Wayne City RR, which operated around 1848-52 if'n my feeble memory is working at this late hour. It was built on the cheap, with wooden rails and a 2 mule locomotive.

We also played on the remnants of the Air-Line which ran from The Square to KC. Both old RRs passed through what is now McCoy Park. In my youth the park was still a far-off dream, but the residents of The Neck had all been bought out. The houses had been razed, leaving behind a young boy's ideal playground, remnants of streets, open basements that became ponds, and lots of wild plant growth. Best of all the entire area was closed off to traffic, so we had it all to ourselves.
I'll have to take a gander at the 57 and 63 aerials to see what that south side of 24 looked like. Lord knows I've been past there hundreds of times.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:00 PM

I did look at 57 today, but it covered such a wide swath of area I couldn't see much along US 24.

So I peeked at Polk's and sure enough, it was addresses in the 900 block of N Delaware. Northernmost house today looks to be in the 800 block.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I did look at 57 today, but it covered such a wide swath of area I couldn't see much along US 24.

So I peeked at Polk's and sure enough, it was addresses in the 900 block of N Delaware. Northernmost house today looks to be in the 800 block.

Gaze upon DL-2DD-062 from the 1963 collection. It clearly shows the neighborhood intact, so the dozers must have come in the next couple of years.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Gaze upon DL-2DD-062 from the 1963 collection. It clearly shows the neighborhood intact, so the dozers must have come in the next couple of years.
I could see better, yes.

BTW you can Google the page directly and it will bring it right up. At least it did for this page.

I forgot to mention earlier Polk's listed "KSCRy" crossed Delaware next to St Charles

Old 05-08-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
I could see better, yes.

BTW you can Google the page directly and it will bring it right up. At least it did for this page.

I forgot to mention earlier Polk's listed "KSCRy" crossed Delaware next to St Charles

The tracks were long gone, but the ROW existed for years.

Old 05-08-2020, 03:34 PM

[quote=Mad Anthonie;58054139]The tracks were long gone, but the ROW existed for years.[/QUOTE

So those tracks paralleled US 24 west for . . . to at least the Sheffield Steel Plant I'm guessing?

You said Downtown, so presumably a bridge over the Blue R. and further west to KCMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City