Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2014, 11:31 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times

Advertisements

This is one of those very frequent days that the local stations here will not play a Chiefs game. The Broncos are not playing today so their refusal to run a game is confusing.

So, I listen in to the Chiefs radio network on the web.

There is a Sports Bar in Denver that pulls in every KC game for their clientele pleasure. There is a rumor that a similar bar exists in Aurora.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 11:44 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
McCoy grade school, the building, at 1010 S Pearl, Independence, recently had its 100th birthday.

Watching the Royals in the World Series, a brain shot from the past came to my mind concerning the sports equipment that we used in the late forties and early fifties at the school.

Baseball (actually softball) was the big sport. There were two or three diamonds on the south side used for different grades. The sixth graders had the best diamond but home plate was right next to the building sidewalk. The outfield was located away from the building but too many guys were fowling balls into the school windows. There were no windows broken from what I can recall, but I have a vague remembrance of Vada Trask, the principal, saying the sixth graders would have to locate further away.
There were no field line markings and the entire playing field was blacktop. The bases were large rocks or were marked somehow.

The bats used must have come from the school’s 1914 opening as the round handle knob had been worn away from all the bats. The narrow barrels were scuffed and pitiful looking. The bats had nothing that indicated they might have been varnished at one time. They looked nothing like the nicer specimens some of us had at home. We played scrub almost all of the time.

There was only one or two outfielder’s mitts and these were given to the pitcher and catcher for their use. We supplied our own mitts or did without. I had a hand me down mitt that was given to me by a family friend.

There was one basketball net and no real games could be played, but we tried with that one net. However, there were no basket balls, we used what was called a volleyball. Many times we just practiced free throws.

The volleyballs were red rubber balls the size of an actual volleyball. But, we had no volleyball nets. Besides using them for basketball, they were used for dodge ball most of the time. I also used the volleyballs to see how high I could hit one with my fist using the building to gauge the height. I got into some trouble for hitting windows with the ball, but I did not break any. I was prohibited from taking a volley ball out on recess after I hit one on top of the school and it never came back. It might still be there.

When I got to Independence Junior High School, the only sport was volleyball. There used to be a number of nets on the west side of the school extending from Maple to Truman in a play area that I think was below grade from the rest of the site. All home rooms had volleyball teams and competed against each other. I was surprised that volleyballs were actually black and white and not as bouncy as those we used at McCoy.

Since then I have always wondered exactly what type of “volleyball” we used at McCoy.

The only sports the girls participated in at McCoy was dodge ball and that was in the lower grades. I also do not remember any girls playing volleyball in junior high but there may have been one or two.
The old building at Bryant, which was built about the same time and by the same firm as McCoy, had protective steel screens on the windows facing the playground. We only had room for two asphalt ball fields. We also had several tetherball poles.

I remember the reddish playground balls, we also used them for kickball.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
The old building at Bryant, which was built about the same time and by the same firm as McCoy, had protective steel screens on the windows facing the playground. We only had room for two asphalt ball fields. We also had several tetherball poles.

I remember the reddish playground balls, we also used them for kickball.
McCoy had the same protective screens. The basement level rooms were half in the ground and half above ground with the windows at the top of each room if you were in the basement, but the same windows were at ground level if you were standing outside.

One day in the third grade, I was arguing with two girls with my back to one of those screened windows. It was winter time and I had on a heavy coat. One of the girls got upset and pushed me into the screen which moved enough and with enough force that it broke the window with a loud noise. Those were pretty good size windows, also. We all froze and were afraid to move. When the janitor showed up responding to the breaking noise, we all claimed innocence. The argument stopped, I might say.

We did not have tether balls but had a jungle gym, slide, merry go round, teeter totters, etc. The older kids, though stayed away from that playground equipment because they thought it was beneath them and I think the school may have dedicated them to the younger kids, anyway.

During recess and lunch, the older boys who did not play softball, volleyball, or basketball and all the girls walked in a continuous circle around the school while talking up a storm. Boys in small groups and girls in small groups. I dont believe there was any pairing off in grade school. That started in junior high. During the dead of winter there were no sports outside, so everyone walked.

I was in the second grade ('49-'50) and slipped while climbing on top of the jungle jim. I landed on the next round bar below while grabbing another bar to keep me from falling further. My legs were on each side of the bar I fell on and a very tender part of my body came into contact with that round bar. That may have been the first time in my life that I ever knew the excruciating pain that can come from having a very tender and very important part of my body being hit with force. I ached for a couple days but I never told anyone in school or at home about it.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Notice that the "Independence" sign is missing from the side of the building, as is the one from the other end. They were liberated sometime during the 20+ years the building sat vacant. During restoration they appeared on the mayor's porch during the night. They are now displayed in the freight room inside the restored depot, due to their condition. Replicas are on the exterior of the building.
Yesterday I dropped by the Depot and snagged a shot of the signs.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:56 PM

60 posts, read 56,816 times
Hi Guys, I have been following this thread for about a month now. I have read all the posts since the beginning,(a lot of interesting reading and pics). I grew up in Independence but now currently live in Lee's Summit. I will always consider Independence home and have always been fascinated by its history. I am in my early 40's but have seen many of changes to this wonderdful town. Thanks to the regulars on here for the great info, pics and trivia.

I have some questions that you may be able to answer. My wife and I lived in the Beverly Hills Subdivision before moving to Lee's Summit. I grew up in western Independence off 23rd&Sterling in a subdivision named KIMO court, presumably named after the radio station KIMO which had a transmitter building and a tower there. Later, in the early 70's KCCV built a station on this land. I know you all have discussed KIMO in the past.

One question I have is regarding a golf course that used to be near 36th and Crysler that I have heard about. Do any of you all know the name and/or dates of operation?

Old 10-28-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev 2732 View Post
Hi Guys, I have been following this thread for about a month now. I have read all the posts since the beginning,(a lot of interesting reading and pics). I grew up in Independence but now currently live in Lee's Summit. I will always consider Independence home and have always been fascinated by its history. I am in my early 40's but have seen many of changes to this wonderdful town. Thanks to the regulars on here for the great info, pics and trivia.

I have some questions that you may be able to answer. My wife and I lived in the Beverly Hills Subdivision before moving to Lee's Summit. I grew up in western Independence off 23rd&Sterling in a subdivision named KIMO court, presumably named after the radio station KIMO which had a transmitter building and a tower there. Later, in the early 70's KCCV built a station on this land. I know you all have discussed KIMO in the past.

One question I have is regarding a golf course that used to be near 36th and Crysler that I have heard about. Do any of you all know the name and/or dates of operation?
Welcome to the group. Wow, your eyes must be bleary after reading all 693 pages of this thread. Please stick around and prod our memories, share yours, and enjoy old Independence.

I am familiar with Beverly Hills and the KIMO area, but can't place a golf course around 36th & Crysler. Perhaps after I contemplate it for awhile it will pop into my wetware. WCHS '59 may come up with it.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:

GO, GO ROYALS.
In the ‘50s, the only golf course in Independence was the Rockwood Country Club.

I decided to do some looking and came up with the following:
There was a golf course that covered 39 acres off Alton (23rd) and west of the fair grounds. The course was operated by an Independence club beginning in 1912. In 1921, the club sold their 39 acres to the RLDS church. Makes me wonder what the church intended for it and when and why the church subsequently sold it.

The same club then went two miles south of Independence on the Independence-Raytown Road and a quarter mile off of that road and leased fifty-two acres. Don’t know which direction off the road. In 1926, that golf course became the Independence Country Club.

The golf course was in existence until the late ‘30s when the land was sold for house platting.

Thirty-Sixth Street is about a mile and three quarters south of Alton, which would have been the approximate south city limits in the ‘20s. Assuming Crysler south of the city limits was known as the Independence-Raytown Road in those days, this could very well be it.

The Independence Country Club had a lake and creek on their property. They had a large clubhouse with a porch on three sides. There were100 locker accommodations with showers and rest rooms. There was an “immense” fireplace in the large dining room.

There is, today, a good sized lake off 37th Street Terrace, which is about four tenths of a mile east of Crysler. I was unaware of this lake. I don’t see a creek feeder, though.

Looks like this could be a good candidate, but the houses in that area do not look so old. (Across Crysler is Manor Oaks, which was building in the late fifties and early sixties.)

All info courtesy of Pearl Wilcox. These are the only two golf courses she mentions.

About a half mile east of 36th Street and Sterling is another small lake, which does have a creek.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:10 PM

Thanks for having me and the quick reply to my question. To my knowledge the course was on the west side of Crysler and South of Manor Oaks. There is a two story house which is on 36th I was told was originally part of the golf course buildings. It is shaped similar to a barn and was rehabbed about 10 years ago. It could be the location you are talking about.

While I am here I will share one of my favorite memories. As a child my parents would take us to the little drive-in where Lexington and Winner intersect. We would sit on the benches and watch the trains go by below while we are soft serve cones. I don't recall the name of the drive-in but it later became a ethnic convenince store before it was torn down. One of our other favorite drive-ins was on 23rd Street, across from Hill Park. I know it was discussed a few hundred posts back. One of them was called C&K back then I think.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:35 PM

Two quick clarifications from my previous post. The house I was referring to sits on 37th st, on the south side. The drive-in was at Crysler and Lexington, across from old fire house turned bike shop. I guess I should look at maps before I post. Don't kick me out yet.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:36 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Quote:
Thanks for having me and the quick reply to my question. To my knowledge the course was on the west side of Crysler and South of Manor Oaks. There is a two story house which is on 36th I was told was originally part of the golf course buildings. It is shaped similar to a barn and was rehabbed about 10 years ago. It could be the location you are talking about.

While I am here I will share one of my favorite memories. As a child my parents would take us to the little drive-in where Lexington and Winner intersect. We would sit on the benches and watch the trains go by below while we are soft serve cones. I don't recall the name of the drive-in but it later became a ethnic convenince store before it was torn down. One of our other favorite drive-ins was on 23rd Street, across from Hill Park. I know it was discussed a few hundred posts back. One of them was called C&K back then I think.

Hello Kev and Welcome also. Hope you'll stay and contribute some more.

I too don't recall a course at that area, although we did not commute via Crysler until the mid 60s. Prior to that it was via Sterling and I do seem to recall a radio tower to the west.

This does make me wonder, however, what was located before Manor Oaks? That was a rather high-falutin' neighborhood in the early to mid 60s. I remember my Mom driving thru there one day and we were amazed at some of the architecture. Much different than the pre and post WWII one and two story standard houses we were used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City