Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2014, 06:51 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev 2732 View Post
Two quick clarifications from my previous post. The house I was referring to sits on 37th st, on the south side. The drive-in was at Crysler and Lexington, across from old fire house turned bike shop. I guess I should look at maps before I post. Don't kick me out yet.

That is an interesting house. A little southwest of it looks like some open land that could have been a small lake at one time.

I recall that drive in across from the fire station and recall stopping there one time. Don't recall the name, though.

My favorite drive in was Pypers Place, which was east from the park at 23rd and Northern. Best pork tenderloins in the world and with it one huge order of curly Q fries. The only other place to have such good curly Qs was Brown's Cafe up on North Main next to Katz.

Pypers Place always had car hops and located to Northern from Osage and 23rd, where they had been for years until 23rd was widened. We would take our order to the park and eat there.

The location on Northern subsequently became Clems. Last time I was by there it had changed to something else after being closed a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 08:17 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:
Thanks for having me and the quick reply to my question. To my knowledge the course was on the west side of Crysler and South of Manor Oaks. There is a two story house which is on 36th I was told was originally part of the golf course buildings. It is shaped similar to a barn and was rehabbed about 10 years ago. It could be the location you are talking about.

While I am here I will share one of my favorite memories. As a child my parents would take us to the little drive-in where Lexington and Winner intersect. We would sit on the benches and watch the trains go by below while we are soft serve cones. I don't recall the name of the drive-in but it later became a ethnic convenince store before it was torn down. One of our other favorite drive-ins was on 23rd Street, across from Hill Park. I know it was discussed a few hundred posts back. One of them was called C&K back then I think.
If'n my feeble memory is functioning this morning the drive-in across from Hill Park was the Candy Stripe. It sat where the Dollar General is now.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:17 AM

60 posts, read 56,775 times
We used to frequent Clems when I was younger. Still rememer their crumbly hamburgers. My sisters and I could walk to the 7-11 on 23rd, which is still there, to get candy. In the 70's there was also an ice cream shop in the buildings west of 7-11. I don't recall the shops name, but it had awesome ice cream. The building still stands, but is vacant.

I also remember the car wash that was north of Clems that was later enclosed to make a little strip mall. It still stands as well.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:20 AM

60 posts, read 56,775 times
Thanks for Candy Stripe name Mad. The car wash was East of Clems. Must be too early for me as well.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
We used to frequent Clems when I was younger. Still rememer their crumbly hamburgers. My sisters and I could walk to the 7-11 on 23rd, which is still there, to get candy. In the 70's there was also an ice cream shop in the buildings west of 7-11. I don't recall the shops name, but it had awesome ice cream. The building still stands, but is vacant.

I also remember the car wash that was north of Clems that was later enclosed to make a little strip mall. It still stands as well.
The crumbly hamburgers I never did care for. Seemed like more hamburger got in the seat and on the floor than down my mouth, chuckle.

When at 23rd and Osage, they also had pork brain (and maybe pork snout also) sandwiches.

My father always ordered the brain and it would gross us kids out. I later found out that a lot of ex farm people were fond of brain.

When we started patronizing the place, the pork tenderloin sandwiches were 35 cents. When the price went to fifty cents it was like the price was so high we did not know if would could go there any more--but we did.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:16 AM

I have a question for the local folks.

Can you watch the Mavericks or the Comets on cable TV?

I thought I saw where the Kansas City T-Bones baseball team might be on TV locally.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,715 times
Hello everyone. I'm new here, and was wondering if there was an easier way to navigate this thread. The search doesn't seem to be cooperating for me. I'm looking for information/pictures about Harry Hoy's unfinished boat.....The "Sterling boat".....Pictures of it on Sterling, pictures of the move, why he moved it, when he moved it, etc.....Thanks in advance for any help.

Also, I've seen some mention in these 694 pages of the James gang "Blue Cut" train robbery....Has a positive location of the Blue Cut been agreed upon, and has anyone visited the site? If so, is it worth checking out?

Thanks again.

Jon
Independence, MO

Old 10-29-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I have a question for the local folks.

Can you watch the Mavericks or the Comets on cable TV?

I thought I saw where the Kansas City T-Bones baseball team might be on TV locally.
Tough question, as I'm not a sports fan, and don't have cable. I checked the Examiner's "Sports on TV" listings with no luck, but I don't think any of those teams have upcoming games. Remind me to check when games are pending.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddogj View Post
Hello everyone. I'm new here, and was wondering if there was an easier way to navigate this thread. The search doesn't seem to be cooperating for me. I'm looking for information/pictures about Harry Hoy's unfinished boat.....The "Sterling boat".....Pictures of it on Sterling, pictures of the move, why he moved it, when he moved it, etc.....Thanks in advance for any help.

Also, I've seen some mention in these 694 pages of the James gang "Blue Cut" train robbery....Has a positive location of the Blue Cut been agreed upon, and has anyone visited the site? If so, is it worth checking out?

Thanks again.

Jon
Independence, MO
Welcome Jon! We are always happy to have fresh blood here.

I don't recall if we had any photos posted of the boat. I do recall that it moved from Sterling to Noland & White Oak for finishing. There was at least one large Examiner article on it around the time of the move.

You may have more luck using the advanced search, but I rarely use it so I'm not much help there.

There are actually three robberies of the C&A Glendale train attributed to the James Gang. The cut begins at Noland where the C&A (now KC Southern) goes under the old MoPac (now Union Pacific) tracks, and extends eastward to just north of the Centerpoint Medical Center. The Glendale/Selsa station is long gone, but the tracks are still there and active. The three robberies occurred in that section. In at least two of them the crime scene is rather long, as they would split the train and move part of it down the track to finish the robbery where escape horses were idling.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,715 times
Wow. I'm within walking distance of that cross on Noland. Good info. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City