Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 03:36 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I had forgot about the fountains. I believe I saw the effort once while home on leave. There were a few million $ wasted for the entire effort as I recall.
I hadn't been there in ages and remember driving along Maple and negotiating concrete barriers, diagonal parking et al and thinking WTH?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 04:45 PM

320 posts, read 310,110 times
Home - Examiner - Independence, MO
Contains article on Sharon Kinney and her violent escapades. This has been discussed hereon this thread before, but was interesting to read about again.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:15 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Quote:
It is my understanding that major renovations are going on right now at the Independence courthouse to add five new court rooms.

This is occurring at the Eastern Jackson County Courthouse on Kansas Street, which was formerly known as the courthouse annex. I dont know where these courtrooms are being added, but I thought I read somewhere that this building can structurally bear another floor.

The recently renovated courthouse on the square is now known as the Truman Courthouse.

The courthouse in Kansas City is known as the Jackson County Courthouse.

And, I suppose the other courthouse on Kansas Street is known as the 1827 Log Courthouse. Somewhere I thought I read that this building was still under county control.

I've thought for some time that Jackson County and Independence should create courts in The Square to accommodate the growth in eastern suburbs. The older buildings are suitable to be rehabbed on the inside to law offices and associated businesses, would add some pizzazz and business activity. Not a bad location either, the trip up Noland via I-70 is short and would make the area a convenient Courthouse East.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:50 PM

908 posts, read 725,813 times
Quote:
This is supposed to be a 1979 view of Independence from the top of the courthouse. Someone please explain what corner this is.
This picture has me confused. First, notice the parked cars are facing as if the street has two-way traffic. I thought we discussed a while back about the streets were all one-way since at least the early 1950s or before.

Second, I don't recall that much lawn at the court house.

Third, look at the parking along the street towards the corner on the right. It appears to me that a paved cut-out is there that is off the street. I don't recall that.

Fourth, Katz was all glass on the first floor on the Main Street Side. The building in this picture is white.

Maybe these changes happened and I don't recall correctly; however, I don't believe this is a picture of Independence.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I guess we lost CaseyMO?
Not yet. :-) Sorry for the absence. I'll probably take a few, but I will return. :-)

Old 03-26-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Mad Anthonie posted her name on page 429 when she was teaching at McCoy and the first name spellings are similar. Could very well have been the same lady.

We have not heard from Sally on this site for quite some time. I think she said she graduated from WCHS in '53. We knew she was ill but that is all we have learned.

We also have not heard from Hazel W in a long time. She provided some interesting information, also.

I had a Miss or Mrs. Marcell for 3rd grade at Benton.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
"What was the most popular hair-do of the William Chrisman High School Graduating Class of 1968?"

Here is another question posed on the Jackson County Historical Society web page without an answer but saying the answer is within the Society's archives.

Some of you younger whipper snappers may be able to answer this question. I was in my second of three years in Germany at the time and don't have any idea of the home hair styles during that time.
I cannot answer for 1968, but I was engaged to be married that year and had already served in Germany. In 1963, the haircuts for boys were still the flat top and a newer style called the Princeton. In both cases, the hair was short.

I believe the flat top was pretty popular in the late 50s too. :-)

Old 03-26-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I was able to cope with most of these deaths—even that of Lou Costello who checked out at age 52, but even as a high school senior I just could not understand the death of Superman.
What? You did not know that a man of steel could commit suicide? Unfortunately, I can relate.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:33 PM

778 posts, read 1,025,389 times
Quote:
This is supposed to be a 1979 view of Independence from the top of the courthouse. Someone please explain what corner this is.

I can't be certain, but this might be looking to the northwest corner of Liberty and Maple. The building in the top center of the photo, looks like the old Bank of Indep.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:14 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
I cannot answer for 1968, but I was engaged to be married that year and had already served in Germany. In 1963, the haircuts for boys were still the flat top and a newer style called the Princeton. In both cases, the hair was short.

I believe the flat top was pretty popular in the late 50s too. :-)
The flattop first started popping up in Independence Junior High School when I was in seventh grade, fall of '53. A guy here and there would appear one day with this new haircut and the girls would make remarks such as "Oh you didn't," etc. The girls did not seem to like them. And, I agreed with them. Slowly, but surely, though, the flattops snowballed and the girls began liking them and I wanted one. But, my mom said no. So, I have never in my life had a flat top. I did get a shaved head when I went into the Army, though.

I still have my '53-'54 Cub yearbook, somewhere. It would be interesting to look at the photos now and see just what the percentage of flattops were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City